The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do You Take Care Of Your Image? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
This is a great thread. I saw a videotaped performance of myself recently and it was extremely eye-opening. Now, don't get me wrong; I always dress well whenever I perform. I have specific performing jackets that fit my personality and I've always worn dress pants with pressed shirts.

BUT I just noticed that my pants really need to be tailored more than they currently are. Although I've always had the outseam measured, I need to pay much more attention to the inseam and the rise. Without this extra attention to detail, it looks like the rise of my pants is at about knee level. Since I'm not really going for the MC Hammer look, I figure I'd better find a tailor - FAST!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
A friend I spoke too about this said his bookings and then asking price doubled when he did 3 things;
1) loose 50lbs
2) had his teeth whitened
3) got a designer haircut and taylored suits.

How you look is very important and I think its fair to say many magicians don't put enough effort into this.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Quote:
On 2010-07-07 16:14, Kent Wong wrote:
This is a great thread. I saw a videotaped performance of myself recently and it was extremely eye-opening. Now, don't get me wrong; I always dress well whenever I perform. I have specific performing jackets that fit my personality and I've always worn dress pants with pressed shirts.

BUT I just noticed that my pants really need to be tailored more than they currently are. Although I've always had the outseam measured, I need to pay much more attention to the inseam and the rise. Without this extra attention to detail, it looks like the rise of my pants is at about knee level. Since I'm not really going for the MC Hammer look, I figure I'd better find a tailor - FAST!

Kent

That's nice to hear.My mentor is a really good magician.But his cloths cut and size is not admirable at all .Not everyone is Daryl to carry off a red jacket .I find hard to carry off a suit.Probably it's because I'm relatively young.Older guys can carry off stuff which may make the youngs look like Precocious or overly dressed.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I am always clad in black. Have been ever since jr. high school (I am 36 years old now). So far this year I have lost 35 lbs and continue to drop. I believe in dressing for success. I am always dressed as I am in the picture (unless I am out with my family or the occasion calls to dress down, but even then I am dressed nicely and in black). If you dress as if you are successful then you will be perceived as successful, and perception is reality. If I am always seen dressed as in the picture, potential clients are not so shocked when I tell them my fee. If I were to tell someone my fee in a t-shirt and jeans they would laugh in my face. Oh, and if you want to work corporate, cover the tattoos and lose the earring. Even if you are dressed in a suit and tie, if you have tattoos showing or an earring, chances are good that you will not get the job. Smile

Click here to view attached image.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Asgar, I think you have a point about dressing appropriate to your age. It's been said here in different ways, but I think the 'costuming' should convey your character. I for one, couldn't effectively pull off 'suave', even in a $1000 suit. It's just not my character. I could do a caricature of a smooth, sophisticated magician, but I am a born clown (I don't wear clown stuff anymore, I don't have to). Being aware of that truth has given me a lot of clarity in developing my stage persona, but it hasn't made it less important to have the right look. In some ways, I have to work harder to find that balance. In choosing costuming for an upscale event, I have to actually look very nice and professional, like any magician should, but slightly 'off', a little better than the audience, but maybe a little overboard.
I've been also dealing with the 'age appropriateness' factor in my own costuming, but sort of the opposite of your problem. I'm almost 50 years old, solidly middle-aged. I've been trying to develop a more comfotable, casual, contemporary look for outdoor birthday parties here in steamy hot San Antonio. I've had a real vaudeville kind of sensibility to my costuming for a long time, but I am serious about trying to look like I'm from this century for certain gigs. I still want the look to say 'comedy magician'. It's been a surprisingly difficult look to create. The stuff I've come up with doesn't look sharp enough, or it looks too young, too pedestrian.. it's tricky. I spend a lot of time thinking about it and trying different things. I'm not there yet.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
As far as the "lose fifty pounds" goes, I would have to disagree in many instances. Big guys can seem a lot more trustworthy, and less intimidating. This is very important to an audience: it can help them identify with a performer. I think a male model type, clad only in the very best of Armani would have a much more difficult time communicating his humanity. People may be attracted to beauty, but it can be very off-putting.

I do, however agree that most magicians need to think more about their image. They just need to think about it in context of what they are trying to do.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
A quote from lay audience people I hear often when they
talk to me about shows theve seen etc.. about larger performers
is that all the larger guys should be or are usually dressed up as clowns!!! that's fine if you like kids under 6!!

Dress well for any show & if your image is up to scratch you will enhance the Image of Professional Magic
performed well... size doesn't matter as long as you dress well!! and your acts good..

Performing for a group of people wearing a shirt that looks like a tea Towel & mismatching pants
that don't fit- doesn't have anything to do with size but style..

Take a good look at many of the Local Linking Ring Magazine Photos of club shows &
get togethers & most of the fashions worn while performing are really bad and the performers
havent thought at all about Image-and we wonder why Magic gets a bad rap.......

-Buy some nice clothes, that match....
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I still think that even if you are young, you should be dressed to impress. A nice shirt with a tie is good. Lose the suit coat maybe as that would seem a bit over dressed for a younger person. Smile
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Quote:
On 2010-07-08 21:14, asgar wrote:

Older guys can carry off stuff which may make the youngs look like Precocious or overly dressed.

True, but you can wear nice pieces and still look casual. Really nice, well fitted jeans with a great pair of shoes and a decent shirt say something more positive than a 12 dollar pair of jeans from a bargain outlet, knock-off sneakers and a four dollar t-shirt. Similarly, a cheap suit looks like a cheap suit... might be better to wear something a little more causal of better quality in some instances.

Perception is reality - if you look cheap, that's the reality people will form about you.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Devil's advocate:

Has anyone else noticed how many working performers have that "overly slick" plastic-y look about them? I mean they usually look impeccable, but there is a quality of inauthenticity about them that I find hard to put my finger on...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
Yeah, I know what you mean, Gaddy. I think it's an attempt on their part to look like the "Classical" Magician, or as they think their audience expects them to look. Either that, or us nerdy guys like the ego boost from looking straight up Baller, G.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2010-07-07 18:27, aitchy wrote:
A friend I spoke too about this said his bookings and then asking price doubled when he did 3 things;
1) loose 50lbs

I believe that this is just as much (or even more) to do with how the performer feels as how you physically appear to others. When you FEEL powerful, confident, attractive, successful, and in control, then you start to unconsciously change your behaviour patterns and sell/present yourself in a much more confident way. This can only lead to higher levels of success.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Quote:
On 2010-07-11 08:03, Scott Burton wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-07 18:27, aitchy wrote:
1) loose 50lbs

I believe that this is just as much (or even more) to do with how the performer feels as how you physically appear to others. When you FEEL powerful, confident, attractive, successful, and in control, then you start to unconsciously change your behaviour patterns and sell/present yourself in a much more confident way. This can only lead to higher levels of success.

a good point that I agree with. I hadn't thought of it in that way but yep, its also about feeling comfortable with the self your presenting to the crowd as much as being comfortable with how the crowd perceive you.

As for the "big guys look more down to earth etc" comments above - I can see that point too about looking friendly/down to earth - but (as someone who has recently lost weight myself) I know that people often react towards you in a more positive way at first sight when you look healthy. Also when your large you sweat more which in close up is KILLER Smile
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Quote:
On 2010-07-09 20:42, gaddy wrote:
Devil's advocate:

Has anyone else noticed how many working performers have that "overly slick" plastic-y look about them? I mean they usually look impeccable, but there is a quality of inauthenticity about them that I find hard to put my finger on...

I have noticed. I think professional wardrobe can be a real asset, certainly in selling the idea to an agent or booker, but I think it's important to convey an original character or stage persona. If a performer doesn't have one to convey, there's going to be a lack of authenticity that, like you say Gaddy, you can't quite put your finger on. You can't put you finger on it because it's what is NOT there that's bugging you.. something real. If I look at Mac King or Lance Burton, I see two very different styles, but both have an authentic presence. They both have original stage personalities, very different from one another, but both well realized and both accentuated by their wardrobe choices. They could wear anything though and the personality would be there. If I got a cruise ship or corporate gig, I'd try to dress the part, but if I didn't bring the personality they'd remember nothing but the suit.. and probably not even that.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Well said Mr. Pitts! I think you nailed it, there.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
"Always look like you have somewhere better to go, afterwards..."
It's an old axiom that works for all occassions, but not necessarily when you are a performer. As a performer one should regard their attire as their costume/wardrobe.
Regardless of who you are, you need to dress for your part.
You are somebody aren't you?
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
Mr. Pitts, I believe you have both reconciled the differing opinions of those present, and done so in a most eloquent manner.

Bravo.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ever since I first read this thread I have become very anual about my appearance. I trim my facial hair several times a week, and before every show. I don't think anybody else notices, but the hair on my chin must be just so before I leave the bathroom. Well it's time to get ready for my next show, and the hairs in my ears, and nose are growing.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2010-08-15 15:21, Al Angello wrote:
I don't think anybody else notices

Women notice it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do You Take Care Of Your Image? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL