The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Wow, just saw Joe Monti's Thumb Tie (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What a great/commercial routine... check it out at http://www.thumbtie.com
This is pure and has good laughs built in.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
It is very entertaining and the finish is wonderful, but I feel that this type of thumb tie is not as convincing as with electric tape.
"There is no reality, only perception."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
But ease of use and your ability to sell it is the key.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Does the method differ from Kenton Knepper's Black Tie?
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I've always liked the version where the audience tosses rings to the performer and they penetrate the tie to appear on his arms.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Just watched the link Pete posted. Great routine by Joe Monti. I like the ending where the two volunteers get attached. Finally someone came up with a logical ending to a thumb tie routine.
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
Does anybody know or have heard of a thumb tie involving twist ties? I have been searching for something like that for the longest time!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 00:16, Lou Cirulli wrote:
Does anybody know or have heard of a thumb tie involving twist ties? I have been searching for something like that for the longest time!

The twist tie thumb tie is the late Jay Marshall's. Search Magic Inc. site for the instructions. http://www.magicinc.net/jaspernesethumbtiebyjaymarshall.aspx Yes it is the same one Matt King performs.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
But the Marshall one uses pipe cleaners, right?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 01:32, cairo wrote:
But the Marshall one uses pipe cleaners, right?

I don't understand the purpose of your question, as this question means you did not even click on the link (web address) I provided.

If you had and read the discription for the trick, you will see that the original does use pipe cleaners, but it says you can also use twist ties. If you know what Pipe Cleaners, then you should know there is little difference in them, one has fuzz on the wire and the other has paper or plastic coating.

The wire item does not change the trick at all. The discription also notes this is the same one Matt King uses in his act.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just found this old effect, thought it was lost, but it is still available. It is "Irv Weiner's Red Tape Thumb Tie", was very popular when it appeared on the market.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Joe Monti does a pretty good routine. Even if the routine that Monti uses is pretty standard thumb tie stuff. In fact the entire routine with the ending of the two people tied together is right out of old John Novak’s school act and is on one of his old escape video tapes (used to be sold by Steven’s Magic). John used handcuffs.

The cable tie idea has been marketed by Kenton Knepper’s for years (over ten). Kenton calls it “Black Tie” and teaches the use of ungimmicked, plastic cable ties. You can buy the booklet (which comes with a number of cable ties) or get it as a PDF download.

http://www.wonderwizards.com/advanced_se......hmm7oag6

If you have an old collection of MUM magazines go to the Jim Ryan issue (in the late 70’s or early 80’s) and see most of this routine in print. Ryan used a length of soft rope for the thumb tie and a bandana or pocket handkerchief for the cover. Jim did it in bar environments. I saw him in the late 70’s in Chicago do the routine. Every element Joe uses except the two spectators tied together at the end.

Both John Novak and Jim Ryan did the comedy routine that Joe is now performing. They just did it decades ago. Both are now deceased and I am glad that Joe Monti is keeping the routine alive!

Bill is right about the Marshall tie. It can be done with any wire. Jay even did it once to my knowledge (I was in the room) using trash bag twist ties. You can even use a moderately heavy gauge, plastic coated, electric wire (as I have done). Once you know the handling almost any wire will work.

By the way Bill alludes to Irv Winer’s “Red Tape”. It is a killer version of the Thumb tie. Thumbs actually taped together and have to be cut apart at the end. I use black electrical tape. General Grant has the rights and sells this.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 03:55, wmhegbli wrote:

The wire item does not change the trick at all. The discription also notes this is the same one Matt King uses in his act.

That's Mac King.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Joe's routine may be like Ryan's (I haven't seen Novak's), but I don't think Joe's method is that same as Ryan's (of course I could be wrong). I'm curious if this is similar to the Poor Boy Zip Tie Escape?
Anyway, I loved Joe's performance. Thank's Pete.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Joe's method is different than Ryan (used soft rope) and Novak's (used handcuffs) but the routine is pretty much spot on (especially to Novak's).

Joe has made a nice piece with this.
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
Thanks wmhegbli!!!!!!!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
It's always of interest to note who was the 1st to do something in a performance setting or the 1st to popularise something but I'm sure that many people who have worked this kind of escape senario, be it with handcuffs, ribbon, pipe cleaners or whatever, have independently come up with this same routine structure.

On the few times I've had the chance to see Joe Monti he's always been entertaining to watch.

While I enjoyed this video clip I'm doubtful as to what using cable ties adds to this kind routine. They are not things that many people are particularly familiar with. Having to explain what something is capable of doing and how it works just before you demonstrate the opposite seems to be an inherent weakness in the whole concept of using them in the first place.

I guess it would be fine for a gig for the police or a roadies' convention but otherwise I'm doubtful as to any benefit they bring.

Handcuffs, string, ribbon, tape, wire,... everyone knows what these are and how they can function even if you've not had direct experience with them. Cable ties (and thumbcuffs come to that) are unfamiliar things and don't, in my opinion, help sell the effect in any way.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 13:22, Sealegs wrote:
Handcuffs, string, ribbon, tape, wire,... everyone knows what these are and how they can function even if you've not had direct experience with them. Cable ties (and thumbcuffs come to that) are unfamiliar things and don't, in my opinion, help sell the effect in any way.

That is one way to look at it, but then some people seem to suffer from tunnel vision.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Wmhegbli, You make a good and very valid point. Thinking of and putting into practice differnt ways of presenting old effects is always welcomed and I applaud any efforts towards this end.

That's part of the reason I have always enjoyed watching Joe Monti work.

So I agree and would welcome, for example, using lengths of material ripped from your shirt as the tying-up material, super-gluing your hands or thumbs together, sticking your thumbs into two taped together upturned shampoo bottles so as to stop the contents coming out, etc etc... are all possible avenues and I'd applaud any one for trying such approaches.

However, doing something new, different, original, etc whilst laudable need not necessarily be better or add anything to an effect and might actually adversally affect the very effect you are tring to achieve.

Tunnel vision is certainly something to be wary of in order to remain a creative performer but tunnel vision is a quality that, to some degree or another, all audiences posess.

Not acknowledging that, or not finding effective ways to change that when a presentation requires it, means a new concept, idea or approach may not add anything in the way that it otherwise might.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I have never "gotten" the thumb tie effect- perhaps it just seems too easy to get out. Then again, I have never tried on a pair of thumb cuffs either. Does this really go over as a real "escape"?

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Thumb ties are rarely played as a real escape but more of an impossible solid through solid penetration. It is most often played as broad humor. The routine that Joe Monti is performing has been well established and used pretty much since the 1950's (first I saw it) and most like way earlier. Monti's contribution to the routine is his method of tying the thumbs. He does sell it better than most performers I have seen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Wow, just saw Joe Monti's Thumb Tie (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL