The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Alaskan Zibit! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
I am *so* freakin' excited, I just ordered my own Zibit! (Is it here yet?)

My family (me, wife, two teens) live on the road and I've been looking for something outside my "normal" income making for the family to do as we travel. I'd seen mention of the Zibits before, but this time when I "stumbled" across some threads here it hit me -- THIS could be what I've been looking for!

We're in Alaska for the summer (it's our home base) so will get our feet wet up here and then will head south in late September. Down through WA, OR, CA and then across AZ, NM, TX, etc.

And all along the way we're now going to be on the lookout for flea markets and other good places to show our Zibit.

My intention is to show the kids another example of "living outside the box" so they know they have options when they leave home -- a "normal" job while living in one spot isn't a requirement.

I'm going to get my tent and signs ready while I'm waiting for delivery, so by the time it gets here I should be *completely* ready to go.

Yeehaw! =:)

Jay Jennings
Mystery arts articles and thoughts: https://ExclusiveMagic.com
Free video crash course for numerology readings: https://LoShuNumerology.com
dennper
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of dennper
Good luck to you my friend!

I have my zibit show ready and will take it out for it's first spin next month at the flea market and then am trying to book in at a local 'community day'.

Enjoy!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Welcome to the family Jay. Smile 'Living on the road'...intrigueing...what do you guys do? How do you do it? hmmm...never mind, sounds like a book that needs to be written! Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Nutshell version: At this point I make most of my living writing and selling online marketing tools (examples below in my sig) -- so as long as I can find a Starbucks with wifi I'm able to work. We sold our house about 2.5 years ago and have been on the road in 208 square feet for two years this September. We summer in Alaska and then head south when the snow starts to hit the mountains.

I'd like to be able to transition from working online to working offline -- doing stuff like busking, zibiting, etc. Living like a gypsy. =:)

I have about 2 more years before my oldest is 18 and want to give my kids some "street skills" they can use whether they decide to work in an office (gag!) or not.

Jay Jennings
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Just an update and a question for anyone with Zibit experience who looks in here...

Checked with a local place for my signs and they wanted $240 for the 2x6 -- about $900 total. Maybe they thought I wanted the gold-plated ones? Got them online at worldofbanners.com for $90 including shipping. Even if they're lower quality I can afford to replace them a few times for that price.

Next week I'm taking a trip to Costco for one of their $200 canopies with sidewalls -- unless I spot one on Craigslist before then. Then I just need to wait (patiently!) for the actual Zibit and I'm ready to go.

Question...

My Mom's friend has a nursery (plants, not babies) and sells plants at different farmers markets around the area. She mentioned what I was planning and he said it sounded good, but that $1 was too cheap because anyone who would part with 1 dollar would just as easily part with 2 or 3.

I can think of two reasons why $1 is a better price, but has anyone *tested* charging more? The marketing side of me doesn't like to believe "gut feeling" because testing often proves those wrong.

Jay Jennings
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Normally, admission is $2, but today everybody comes in for the single child's price, $1!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Checked with a local place for my signs and they wanted $240 for the 2x6 -- about $900 total. Maybe they thought I wanted the gold-plated ones? Got them online at worldofbanners.com for $90 including shipping. Even if they're lower quality I can afford to replace them a few times for that price

Why? even go for the Worldofbanner BS...why not have Professiional Banners painted and elevate your show into the realm of REAL $$$$$...Even if you blank...the banners if done right, will retain your investment....(has nobody ever heard "Front of the show...gets the Dough")and you would be surprised how reasonable you could get which I can only imagine what your wanting for...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Why? Because right now I don't have the money for $900+ banners. And while I'd rather have quality than crap, I'd rather get started than wait until everything's just right. I'm a big believer in starting, and then improving over time. I've seen a lot of people NOT do stuff because they're "not quite ready."

Jay Jennings

--EDIT--

Plus, at least initially I'm following Doug's recommendations, which is "plain and simple." Paying $900 for black and white banners seems like idiocy.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

[quote]On 2010-07-12 02:46, Jay Jennings wrote:
Why? Because right now I don't have the money for $900+ banners. And while I'd rather have quality than crap, I'd rather get started than wait until everything's just right. I'm a big believer in starting, and then improving over time. I've seen a lot of people NOT do stuff because they're "not quite ready."

Jay Jennings

--EDIT--

Plus, at least initially I'm following Doug's recommendations, which is "plain and simple." Paying $900 for black and white banners seems like idiocy.
[/quote

Black and white banners at any price is Idiocy....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Doctor Mythsonian
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Doctor Mythsonian
Quote:

So it would seem on face value.
dennper
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of dennper
Got my banners from VistaPrint on line. Was like $100 or so for all three.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-07-12 09:49, Doctor Mythsonian wrote:
Quote:

So it would seem on face value.

Obviously you play for peanuts...
Evel Knievel

Doctor Mythsonian
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Doctor Mythsonian
Me? No way, full color and good, solid graphics all the way, by my own hand. On the other hand, I'm not following a methodology that advocates the simple, plain black and white ones as a proven marketing tool. Just saying.
BostonBlackie
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
111 Posts

Profile of BostonBlackie
I use gotprint.com for all my printing. Easy and inexpensive.
It wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done in my life. Sadly though, it was far from the dumbest.
-- Zachary Nixon Johnson
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
http://www.wholesalebannerz.com Been using them for years to make all the banners that I design myself. Inexpensive
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Again...the black and whites are just a simple idea for the FLEA MARKETS to attract a certain type of clientele that was not into repsonding to midway Side Show hoopla and a carney look...and to be able to get 'in the game' for little money. It was NEVER intended to replace the time honored methods on the midway or threaten old timers but to reach a different segment in a completely different venue. It worked. It continues to work.

I used fully painted and illustrated banners for my own shows for years. But the black and white idea proved itself for a small single-o in a flea market setting again and again...so please Jim calling it idiocy might make you feel all knowing but it's a bit harsh and rather ignorant.

It is but ONE idea among many. I can't belive we're back at this one up BS again.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The black and white worked well for me as Doug said "To reach a different segment of the market" Fully coloured banners and all the razzmatazz would be better for the midway though.

There seems to be something about a gaudy set up which plants it slightly down market in some peoples minds (Not mine I hasten to add) There again us Brits are known for the conservative feel !!

Ken.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
How do conservatives feel?

with their hands.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Not felt one for a while !
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-07-13 13:05, Doug Higley wrote:

..so please Jim calling it idiocy might make you feel all knowing but it's a bit harsh and rather ignorant.

It is but ONE idea among many. I can't belive we're back at this one up BS again.

I am/was not trying to be "all knowing"...I was merely answerin a question posed by Mr. Jennings...However, after re-reading the question..I found it was aimed at Folks with Zibit experience...Since I have none, I would like to retract my answer, apologise to Doug and hope that zibit owners everywhere can find it in their Hearts to forgive me....Sincerly...
Evel Knievel

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Alaskan Zibit! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL