The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Alaskan Zibit! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4433 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2010-07-25 13:08, Bill Beach wrote:
Hi Jay,

Saw your post and picture in the Step right up section. Here's a picture of my Zibit set-up:

http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a420......0333.jpg

Oh man I can not believe what the punks (generic term for a miscreant rather than a supporter of Punk Music) did to your banners! That must have been such a pain to clean off later! Or did you just buy new ones? Smile

I have to say I kike working Doug’s method – its fun and the people love it. I too use the smallest museum line when talking to people – but then I have a Mini-Mer (very cool) and no reason why banners don’t work with it – Doug chastised me (well sort of) by saying “you got banners for that thing?!!!”).

But as I told him I am used to having a small hairy wrinkly thing that I don’t mind people paying to see – so thought I could make it work.
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
249 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Okay, it took longer than I planned to show the zibit in a "legit" manner, but I set up at the Anchorage Saturday Market today and the kids and I had a blast. We had 100% satisfied customers and saw *lots* of cases where previous customers came back dragging one or more new people behind them.

Some people leave smiling, and some people leave with a shocked/dumbfounded look on their faces -- it's like you've rocked their normal little world and now they don't know what to believe.

I had a couple people tell me afterwards how they knew it was real. I just smiled, nodded my head, and said, "Uh-huh."

And one lady thought it was a genie, and she was going to bring her friend back next week to verify, since he's apparently an expert on that. (Cue the Twilight Zone music.) I have a prior commitment next week so I won't be there, but I'd kind of like to see what he says. =:)

Jay Jennings
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
249 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Today my daughter and I set up at the Houston Founders' Day Festival -- I wasn't expecting much because Houston (in Alaska, not Texas) is a *small* place, the population is about 2,000 people.

The booth space cost us $25 and we had to set up SIX freaking hours before most everything started, so the first several hours we made a grand total of $12 -- it was about then that I discovered the "festivities" hadn't actually started and I calmed down.

We went as late as we could but had to turn people away at the last because I didn't have lights in the booth and it was getting too dark to see into the case. Based on the rate people were coming right before we stopped -- and the number of people who came by even after the signs were down, we probably lost at least another $20-$30 because I didn't have a light. Argh!

Even so, we made enough today to pay for more than half a zibit -- so I'm very happy. =:)

It's such a blast when you see someone far away heading for your booth with a dollar clutched in their hand. Or when a group of people stops in front of your booth and they all start talking to each other -- you know they're trying to get *someone* to go first, and as soon as that person walks in and says, "What the @#$% is that?!" the rest of them are digging out their dollars and heading into the booth.

Zibits rule!

Jay Jennings
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Just think how much more exciting it gets when your rent for the spot is $5900...and you blew a tranny ($2700)...Payroll is $1400...misc expenses are $400 instead of just $25...as a matter of fact..exciting does not even weigh-in..at that point Dude...your breakin the threshold of Insanity...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Hahaha been there Curator,,,aint the biz great !
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
If all the world was but Houston Alaska and all you'ld pass up was $20 or $30...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
249 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Yeah, yeah, I know you guys are big-time but for me and my kids it's still cool. And it's a start. =:)

Jay Jennings
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
Good job Jay - keep rocking the zibit and teachin them kids to live out from under "the man"

I admire your tenacity!

./sam
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Me and my friend Sideshow Sam is behind ya all the way Jay and so is Kondini who started small with his Higley Zibit (in a 5 foot joint!) and eventually rocked it.

Jim IS big time (and old time) and despite playing the hardazz is really eggin' yo on to bigger and better things someday! You're in the family bud. Smile
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
249 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
I took the egging as encouragement -- even if it wasn't meant that way I decided to take it that way. =:)

For anyone who wants to give me a hand, here's what I need...

A good pitch to get people to come inside.

I know some people sit and read books and let the signs do the work, but if I'm going to be setting up and tearing down the booth and standing there for hours, I want to make as much money as possible.

I interact with people a lot, but don't have a specific pitch. Sometimes it's as simple as, "C'mon, you know you want to" or even "Dig out your dollar and get in here!" Most times it's not quite that aggressive (and those kinds of lines are said with a grin to the "right" kind of people), often it's just, "See the strange thing, it's only a buck!"

And that non-line gets people into the booth.

But I'm wondering if I should have some sort of "real" pitch that would work better.

Any ideas?

Jay Jennings
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
If your doing a traditional sideshow or grind show the old standby grind tape (I'll make you one if you like) still works.

But as you know the type of show you are doing (if you followed my design) and in the smaller confines of a flea market or whatever with a fully open front and a totally BLIND pitch, there is not much you WANT to say. You have some simple yet effecftive copy on the banners and what I did was just say those things IF I was pitching or on a tape. You're selling a minor MYSTERY. Keep it such. But for the most part I just CONNECTED with folks, a smile, a howdy, a buenos dias...size 'em up and invite them in with what ever line I think might trigger movement. haha.
A small town Flea market is a different animal and this show is designed to appear grass roots and down home...just a guy with a silly thing for a buck rather than some slick outfit after their gold. I NEVER got aggressive with this type show. Now others milage will differ but that's the way it was put together.
I would like to see your set up and if you are following the plan. (email me please)

Once you go off the plan, there's many other ways to do it and that's not my arena. Smile
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
249 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Quote:
On 2010-08-23 04:20, Doug Higley wrote:

But for the most part I just CONNECTED with folks, a smile, a howdy, a buenos dias...size 'em up and invite them in with what ever line I think might trigger movement. haha.

Yeah, that's basically what we do -- and in my limited experience seems to be working. Maybe I don't need anything else at this point.

I sent you a PM (wasn't sure which email address to use) with pics of my setup as well as a question about doing the zibit in a larger venue such as a state fair.

Thanks!

Jay Jennings
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The How-To Grind Show manual is now OFF Sale. I will be rewriting it with some new concepts and a few major changes. This should please all those who are currently DOING the specific show taught. I'm assuming it must have reached it's saturation point by now so I figure I'll pull it before I hear that there are too many out there with the show. The new version will NOT feature a specific show to be replicated...so you current Zibiteers should be safe from upstarts. Smile

It was a great run for a long time but for the sake of all those out there doing the show I'm pulling the plug. Those with the current plan PLEASE respect those doing the show in the field (and me) and NOT offer it or email it or sell it on ebay. That would be VERY un-cool.

Keep your eye open for the new REVISED How-To which will have a different name and purpouse. Smile
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Actually it will not exactly be a How-To in the strict sense of what it HAS been. I'll no longe be advocating a specific show but the little book will be one of ideas and concepts.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
You know when I came up with this SPECIFIC idea for a simple relatively low-cost way to get into the biz...even part time if you wanted to, side show was recieving last rights everywhere. Obituary notices right and left. A little grindshow or sideshow was for the most part a shock or surprise when seen at a flea market or most fairs...out of sight, out of mind so, a surprise for most of the population. Well, that's not the case anymore. It seems everybody and their uncle is knocking nails in their nose, eBay is infested with so-called 'sideshow' gaffs. Vibrant new shows are appearing coast to coast. Sideshow is back, even though still fringe, it's out of the weeds of the cemetary.

Nothing could make me happier! Maybe I had a miniscule part in the re-birth. Cool. When I first started at this, there was me and Frierson...The legasy to be filled at that time was Homer Tate's. I'm happy to continue that portion of my contribution to the growing 'industry' and community...I just think it's time for the 'Strange Thing' show to ride on it's laurels and not continue to feed new clones into the system.

The show and it's parameters are so specific, the elements so interrelated, so refined if you will, that if anything is changed, it is no longer that particular show. And I think at this stage, that's a good thing. Thus I'd like to relinquish all responsibilty for stifling the potential growth of new ideas. This SPECIFIC show has been done for many years. Since the late 80's? (I forget.) That's enough. There are enough out there to entertain the masses...there are enough show folks who got their start with it still doing it. Basically I feel I did my job and if I continue to feed this stuff out there, there comes a point where it will not be beneficial. SO...I made my name with the gaffs. I never meant to be an information source or god forbid a 'guru'. It was just a good idea to share.
You did it as written or you didn't. I think it is still a great idea and yes it still works. Best not to wait till it doesn't. My goal has always been to be helpful not start a religion or be responsible if you make it or don't make it.
Fortunately all those that I'm aware of that followed the plan made it work.

I'm working on a new version as I said. It will contain all the good stuff, the chemistry...it will mainly be the WHY this show worked and how these fundimental principles can be put to work in other types of shows. At least that's the goal. It will not advocate this SPECIFIC show over any other but it will show HOW others used it. It will be up to the showman/woman to get a Zibit and do 'something' with it. You will be able to pull the essence out of it and do irt if you want to...I'll just no longer be an advocate...just an old gaff maker, making and selling dopey ludicrous 'things'.

So what does this mean??? Well...one thing is, it means I no longer have to feel like maybe I should price these to get a 'piece of the action' since you are going to take the Zibit out and make a killing. Yeah, goal is to lower prices somewhat or at least just price this stuff like any other collectable or art object rather than as a mini-business.

I taught a lot of people, got a lot of people into the game, worried over everyone's successes...I have a huge 'family' out there...well...you 'get it' I hope...Hopefully somebody will get creative and take it all to the next level.

I have felt a lot of pride in being able to help a lot of y'all over the years...and most recently to advise Mike Miello (Dr. Mythsonian) on his new show and direction. He has talent to burn! I see fantastic artists like Kevin Gerrone run with Mark Frierson's guidence and turn it into his own. Grind Show is alive and well. Cool.

D

Oh...and yes...I'm still here to consult if you like. I ain't deasd yet...and Higley Zibit will still be made. (unless I hit the lottery.) Smile
Doctor Mythsonian
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Doctor Mythsonian
There's a good reason why I call you 'boss', Doug... many reasons, actually. Serendipity brought us together, and my only regret is not contributing a tenth back to you of what you've done for me in this relationship. 'Mythsonian' as a name was difficult to digest when you suggested it, as I was so attached to my old name and it's establishment, but when I learned to let go of all that, it turned into solid gold. Your marketing and ideas are right on the money. Thank you, sir, for all of your assistance and praise!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thank you Mike!

Lots of changes here. take nothing for granted...ASK!
Somethings will no longer be made...some new things added. Watch the site!!!

Will be starting a LIST as well for Zibits and stuff ie: "Serving Number 12" etc. with your designated number ON LINE so you can follow progress!...solid delivery dates a goal. Also attempting to start a 'Store 13' concept where there will be certain things IN STOCK for imediate shipment. This will probably be in November.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Alaskan Zibit! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL