We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » July 2010 Issue of Talk About Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4633 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey Café-ers,

As one of the compilers of the July issue of Talk about Tricks I'd be curious to see which of the tricks end up finding favor and which ones sparked some interest.

I think there's some really fun stuff in the issue, and although some of the pieces take some work to perform (mine takes the printing of special gaffs, Chris' requires you to hunt down some birthday cards, etc) I think they'll be worth your time.

Anywho, look forward to hearing some thoughts!
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I think the Talk about Tricks issue is quite good.

I have had time to read through it, as the magazine just showed up today. However, Greetings, and Moving Hole are two that I will be working on first.

Will have more thoughts later!

RevJohn
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4633 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Rev John,

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Chris' piece (Greetings) is something I've seen him use in countless shows and it gets a very strong reaction. The Moving Holes is a little nacky but in the right settings it can be a miracle.

All the best,
Ben

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2758 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
I really loved the Canadian Bacon Sandwiches card trick! Smile

Kyle
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4633 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey Kyle,

That one has gotten a lot of positive comments- and for a good reason: Jeff is a fantastic thinker of magic (one of my favorite magicians actually) and he knows how to structure good magic. Glad to hear you like it!

Ben

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I'm gonna have to pick up this issue.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Well, I finally got this issue. Had to order it online as everywhere was sold out, must be a hot issue Smile

Any who, though I knew most of the material in Josh Jay's column, I thought I would through out a few thoughts.

With Canadian Bacon Sandwich, Jeff mentions that you need to be precise with your estimation, however, I disagree.

If you gimps after you make your estimation, and you are off, you will obviously know how far off, and know exactly where the card is. Best if it is near the top instead of the bottom, but you can deal with it either way.

If it's near the top, as you spread for the second selection, you can easily locate the card you were estimating for. Then after the second selection, before you get the jokers, there is not really any heat if you cut the deck, or what ever you desire, to get the card where it needs to be.

If the card is near the bottom, then, proceed as in the description, but lower the cards before you get to the initial selection, and still locate it, and proceed as I described above.

Any who, I don't think I exposed anything above.

Ben's effect is killer by the way, though the pictures may make it look like the gaff won't fly, but if you keep the cards in motion, and use the cards in front to properly cover, it looks perfect. The counting is done casually, and is really convincing. Don't pass this one up, give it a try. It's a great one from a great concept, IMHO.

One last thought, on the Moving Hole (seriously, that's what they called it? Creative titles like Four from Four, and Hubba Bubba Al, and I get Moving Hole? Of course, I don't think I gave it a title myself, so that may be my fault.)

The description in the mag is such that you would technically have to have a new card for each performance. If you are doing one off shows, this is fine, and I think is best, but for walk around, you can have the card fully "prepped" and set the hole punch to simulate the punching noise as described in several moving hole effects out there. this is a very convincing audio illusion, and allows you to not have to do any reset, besides the half second it takes to set the punch itself.

Also, I have an alternative ending where you cause the hole to jump back off the spectator's finger and on to their signed card if you wish to give it away with a hole in it. If any one is interested, PM me.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
This issue was a solid one with lots of good material. The greeting card idea is extremely practical because this is, I think, such an under-used prop. Greeting cards are always present during the holidays or birthday events, which happily coincide with where many magicians perform.

Ben's splitting routine is highly visual, and we supplied the specialty template for those who wish to try!

Josh
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Im happy to see that so many people enjoyed "GREETINGS" its definately a fan favorite and has treated me well as an impossible location! on top you can find funny cards and build your patter around cards that are already funny so it would be easy to add some laughs to your performance
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » July 2010 Issue of Talk About Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL