The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls scammer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
When he tells you they are made of Fulium tell him you can't afford them b/c Fulium is too expensive. However, you have a win/win proposition for him. Luckily, you received an anonymous email from a desperate person in Nigeria who needs help in collecting several million dollars. All you need is several thousand dollars, which you don' have, to partake of the millions. Tell him if he sends you several thousand dollars then you can collect on the millions and you'll send him half. Then he can send you the Fulium cups. Everyone is happy.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 11:58am
OR, better yet, you could send him a "real" check that's several thousands over the actual price. Then send him an email saying you "accidentally" overpaid, and for him to please refund you the difference asap in the form of a cashier's check.

Then when it's all over. Tell him he can not con a con, or fool a fool, or something like that.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2010-07-06 11:58, Jumbopenny wrote:
OR, better yet, you could send him a "real" check that's several thousands over the actual price. Then send him an email saying you "accidentally" overpaid, and for him to please refund you the difference asap in the form of a cashier's check. Smile

Then when it's all over. Tell him he can not con a con, or fool a fool, or something like that.

Just send an IOU
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On 2010-07-06 12:20, Mad Jake wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-06 11:58, Jumbopenny wrote:
OR, better yet, you could send him a "real" check that's several thousands over the actual price. Then send him an email saying you "accidentally" overpaid, and for him to please refund you the difference asap in the form of a cashier's check. Smile

Just send an IOU

My intent is to con this con. An IOU wouldn't accomplish that. Not that he would really send you funds anyway. BTW, in case anyone is not aware, the 2 scenarios I posted are common scams. I never thought people fell for them, but I saw a documentary where a lot of highly educated people did.
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
Hey, this guy is trying to scam you. He made no mention of the special balls you have to use with he three way valve. He will sell you the cups, but then charge n exorbitant amount for the balls, and, as everyone knows the balls for the three way valves are specially machined to ONLY fit the valve with which they were manufactured, you will be forced to buy the balls, or (god forbid) use the cups like normal cups.

This guy probably stole the cups anyway, as he made no mention of the combination dihydrogen-monoxide/adamantium wand, a key selling point. Adamantium is the only metal powerful enough to contain the Dihydrogen-Monoxide, a common industrial solvent.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
...and I quote;

"Francsco,

Thanks for getting back. That's great, you know that the cheaper Malaysian (2 valve) made cups would quite often leak around the valve seals and leave crochet dew all over the place. I am so happy these are the ones from Puerto Rico, that extra valve makes all the difference, especially when under heavy pressure perfoming on stage.

I forgot to ask, do these come with the Fulium balls as originally supplied by Nosmo King at his workshop (I know these are quite rare so I am being ever hopeful but I have to ask?) If so I would like to know how to send payment please....

Thanks!"

I seriously doubt I will get an answer but you never know.....
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Quote:
On 2010-07-06 08:09, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
Well, here's a picture of my existing set...

Bri,

Your Keppler valve looks misaligned. You may need a framel-stabber joint replacement or your cups might well floginate when using the Vernor swizzle move. This can lead to infertility from severe ball crush. Be careful!!!

dsalley13
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Well seeing as you have now made my frankly embarassing problem quite public I think I am going to have to request that this is moved to secret sessions!
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Bri,

Yes. I think I blew it and exposed anyway. I spelled all the secret bits correctly instead of using "***" as proper cover. Oh well.........won't be the first or last time for me.

Your Stickley self-lubricating washers look very nice. Oops....I did it again.....

dsalley13/Brittany
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Ask him if he sells the electric dog polisher accessory. If he says that he has it, ask him if he sells electric dogs. Smile LOL
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I almost couldn't believe my eyes! I have to get out more. Anyway, the guy who wants to steal money from me did indeed reply (I've asked for a photo!);

"Thanks for the email..you are indeed very lucky because I have exactly what you seem to be looking for.the items comes with the Fulium balls as originally supplied by Nosmo King at his workshop.I will also like to inform you that I will be selling the items for 100GBP including the postage cost to your home address.So I want you to send me details of your contact address and phone number for shipping purposes.
YOu are to make the payment via Moneygram through my account officer name

Receiver Name..Denis Clark

Address..Portal de la Barca, nº 15, B-C - Girona, Spain

As soon as payment is made you are to send to me a scanned copy of payment slip given to you by the bank to prove that you have actually made the payment.

As soon as I get this information,i will package and I will ship and
I will forward you the shipping tracking numbers for the effective monitoring of your parcel.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Francesco."

I honestly didn't think he would fall for Nosmo King (No Smoking!) or Dom's Fulium balls but there ya go!

So, if anyone wants a set of original triple valved sistis with black rubber grommets and Nosmo King fulium balls that don't leak crochet dew all over the stage then he has a set available for $100 (and I have some shares in a diamond mine you may want to buy.)

Bri
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Smile
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Dr. Joe
View Profile
New user
Joe Dobson
14 Posts

Profile of Dr. Joe
Are there any Café members who live in Spain that want to go session with this guy?
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2010-07-07 19:36, Dr. Joe wrote:
Are there any Café members who live in Spain that want to go session with this guy?
Hi Joe, should I take him up on his offer?

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It's interesting that a seller would require such an elaborate method of payment. I understand that this is an international transaction, but in this day and age, there are far simpler mechanisms. What he evidently wants is a mechanism that will pay out to a person who may have only a tenuous connection with the ultimately paying bank, from which there will be no appeal, and to which the buyer would have little or no recourse. Surely worrisome features in and of themselves.

It occurs to me that we habitually order goods and services through the mails or over the internet, always paying in advance by cheque, credit card, or PayPal, but trust enough that the usual mechanisms of commerce will provide adequate protections to both buyer and seller.

Trust is a very important part of our individual and national lives, and that's more than economic.

Woland
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I agree and so far its worked. I've never really worried when ordering things from magicians and have only had 1 bad experience in 29 years.

Good relationships are built on trust, I can think of one magic dealer I used to buy from well before the internet was common place who I would speak to one the phone in the afternoon and the effect would drop through my letterbox the next morning before I even got chance to write and send off the cheque.

Call be parnoid though Smile but I might just not send any money to this guy...

He replied after requesting a picture by he way;

"Hi,I am in receipts of your mail but I am sorry to inform you that icannot send you pictures of the items due to the fact that my scanningmachine is bad and I do not have a camera in the house at the momentbut I want to assure you that they are the correct model based onyour description of what you are looking forward to buy from youradverts I am very convinced that I have what you want and I am justoffering to help you because you seem to be a nice person.Once again I am so sorry for the inconveniences this might caused youbut I want to assure you that once payment is made by you I willcommence shipping immediately to your home address so when youreceive the items and is not what you are looking forward to buy fromme,you can return the items back to me immediately and I will takecare of the shipping cost.Thanks for your understanding and I hope to hear from you soon. Best regards, Francesco."

Funny how he calls himself Francesco Barry yet he wants the money sending to Denis Clark. Maybe he's selling them for a friend?

Well, Mr Barry / Clark when you find this thread in a google search I'm sorry I didn't send you my hard earned cash but at least you trying to steal from me did bring the fact that I was looking for a set of these cups to the attention of an honest, thoughtful and good natured person who had sold me their set.

I know that they are not like yours... they don't have black rubber grommets, 3 way valves or balls of fulium but I'll love 'em all the same....

Bri
adamferrucci
View Profile
Regular user
Newfield, NJ
169 Posts

Profile of adamferrucci
I can't stop laughing from reading this.
Making Birthdays Magical!
www.adamferrucci.com

www.adamsmagicstore.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Thanks Adam, I think my favourite gigle hast obe Nosmo King!

I know that this thread is tongue firmly in cheek but I guess it raises an important issue. Just because we are a close knit community in a niche market it doesn't mean that the very same people who scour the net in search of marks wont try it on us...

Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know how many of you remember "Tony C******i," who lived in St. Petersburg, Florida. He took junk magic tricks, refinished them, added brass hardware and sold them for high prices. He took an order for $50K from a disabled veteran, with a full payment up front, then disappeared.

We tracked him down through his ads in a major magic magazine. He used the same rub-on cold type in his ads when he started advertising again. New name, new city.

Eventually, he died of cancer. He never paid the guy back.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

People like that leave me cold Bill, how on earth could he live with himself?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He was a crook, pure and simple.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls scammer (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL