The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Finding A Stage Name (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
230 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
I've just spent the last couple hours reading threads here from the last few years about stage names -- I'm just posting this in case someone's had a brainstorm lately about coming up with a good stage name (um, not the first pet / street you lived on thing).

I'm getting back into performing after taking a couple decades off and while I think my name is actually a good stage name, I use it in my main business and if someone Googles me about magic I'd rather they find magic-related stuff, and not marketing stuff.

(If I could start over I'd have used a pseudonym for my business -- it makes it awkward now for things like Facebook where I'm interacting with *family* -- I don't feel like I can be myself because people searching for me about business may find personal stuff.)

Since I'm basically starting from scratch I figured this was the perfect time to come up with a name to perform under.

I've come up with several possibilities but the problem I'm running into is those domain names have all been taken. That may not be a compete deal killer, but it would sure be nice to use a name and get the domain, too.

Plus, I'm finding it hard to come up with something that's strong sounding but not cheesy.

I could get a name book and start throwing darts?

Jay Jennings
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Go with Doug Henning, he's no longer performing under that name.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
You've got a great name. Rolls off the tongue well and is memorable.

Question: what's wrong with people knowing you do internet marketing work and have a personal life? Plus, your internet marketing site seems to not say anything about you anyway (could be a different person for all they know)(would they even get to your marketing site if they are looking for a magician?).

There are several other Scott Burton's out there including a prominent artist and a juggler/speaker. I've never really seen an issue with that personally.

All things being equal, people like to do business with friends and family. The more people get to know you as a person, the more persuasive you can be. Unless, I suppose, your other on-line or off-line identities conflict with the values you are trying to communicate as an entertainer.

With my limited info, my vote is to keep your current name.
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
230 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
I understand what you're saying Scott, but if someone's going to see Max Maven on stage and they Google him and find posts where he's talking about how he's sitting in a service center waiting room because his car broke down, or ranting about what a pain it is to move to a new house -- is that really what he wants people to see?

The stuff I'm talking about isn't bad so it's not a "conflict of values" thing, it's just a disconnect between a public persona and a private persona.

Right now I feel stifled online as *myself* because of doing business under my real name. I figured since I was starting over as a performer I might as well head that future/potential problem off at the pass.

Jay Jennings
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
What if you just went with J jennings its sounds the same but spell it differntly and see if you can get the domain for it too.

just a thought.

what style magic do you perform that would help us readers be able to steer you in a better direction. with out knowing your character or personality its hard to just whip up a stage name.

I kept my name sam sandler but created the title the Hilarious magic of sam sandler. its on everything I own in the magic world. you coudl do some thign similar.
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
You got a great stage name!! since you want to keep it seperate try Mohawk Magic!
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
230 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Quote:
what style magic do you perform that would help us readers be able to steer you in a better direction. with out knowing your character or personality its hard to just whip up a stage name.

I tend to "go for the laugh" in most of the things I do, but I don't consider myself a "comedy magician." And while I'm just getting back into performing I'm planning on being a "work in progress" for the next two years while I transition from what I am now...

What do I want to do? Mentalism. The only problem is that I think it's really easy to do boring mentalism so I'm hesitant to jump into it -- I really don't want to screw it up. Meaning, I don't want to be boring. =:)

Names on my short list:

Alex Morgan (First name has always been a fave, just sounds good)
Jay Ivan (My real first and middle name)
Frank Chandler (Chandu the Magician's real name)

Or, I could go with popular opinion and just keep my real name and not worry about mixing business and personal. *sigh*

I don't have a looking deadline or anything, so I'll just keep thinking about this for a bit.

Thanks.

Jay Jennings

PS - None of those names above have available .com domain names. Gak.

PPS - The mohawk comes and goes, it's not anywhere around right now, and while I do have MohawkMan.com sitting here I'm not sure Mohawk Man Mentalism would work. Yes? No? =:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Finding A Stage Name (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL