The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Too darn hot to pitch! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
As I usually do, I have hung up my IT for July and August. Besides, it's just way too hot to pitch (or do anything else, for that matter). My Magic Worms have heat exhaustion: it was 102 degrees yesterday and it's expected to be about 99 or 100 today. Good gracious, that's hot enough to melt my DL's together!

I'd love to take a trip to Tennessee and bring Don a Corned Beef Special on rye, or a delicious Chicken Gyro sandwich (made with fresh pita bread and yogurt sauce). But I think I'll just sit in front of my air conditioner, practice my "GoodNight Kiss" move with the Magic Worms, and start booking the Fall street festivals and Xmas Bazaars. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Seth:

You are right! We have had the 90 degree stuff up here in Michigan too. I have not stopped pitching, but just watch the weather and the 10 day forcasts. I have my flea markets to do in July and I
have a fall Harvest festival booked already in August. Those Christmas bazaars are looking better all the time! It got so hot..that the King of Clubs jumped out of the deck and turned the fan on ! haha

By the way...You are making me hungry! I always enjoy going down South, as the food is always top notch!

Oh blessed mother of Air conditioning don't fail me now haha

ROD
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1520 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Hi Guys you may want to look into getting a solar powered fan. They run about 300 for a model that will do something and you will need to build a wood case for it. It can make a big difference on those 90 degree windless days. When the temp is over 100 degrees its time to pack it in.

We used one when buying and selling rare coins in the outdoor sales pit. I kept the air moving so I could work without falling over. This was back in 1999 when the fans just started to come on the market the price was a lot more back then.

BTW we used the Attic fan style so me had to add a case and a screen. When we shut down after the market swing of 2001 we sold the fan to another dealer or I would post pics of the unit but if you do a search for solar powered fans you should find something that may help keep the air moving.

hope this helps.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
A while back, I tried a battery-powered tent fan that Coleman makes -- it hangs down from the tent's center and blows air downward.

I guess it's great when you're laying on your back in a tent, but when you're standing up, all it does it blow air on the top of your head, which is not very refreshing.

The solar-powered fan sounds like a better idea. I was also thinking of getting one of those solar-powered 12 volt cells that you unwrap and lay on the ground (or on top of your tent), to power my 30-watt PA. As long as the sun is out, I'd never have to recharge the thing! SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
I like that solar powered 12 volt cell that you unwrap sounds like a great idea. We might as well make that old sun work for us right? haha Working the PA without a charge would be just the ticket.

I also like that solar powered fan idea

ROD
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Seth:

Who has these 12volt power cells for sale?

Rod
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
Hey everyone and rod:

Here is a site for those solar chargers

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/

./sam
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
477 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
I have had good luck with this. http://www.blackicecooling.com/ It's low tech and pretty effective.

Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
THANKS SAM! I think this is a great invention, as you know , many venues don't have electricity for vendors and won't let you use a generator, this little gem should fill the bill.

Glenn: This is a very "COOL" item. I will give one a try.

ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Sam, those roll-up solar panels are exactly what I was thinking about.

The only thing I'm not sure about is what size or strength would be needed. Since the PA is a 30-watt model, does that mean I need a 30-watt charger? And if I got a smaller charger, say 20 watts, would that simply help to slow the battery drain? And if I got a bigger one, could I run a fan off of it as well? And would I need a converter to change the DC output to AC?

Hey, I'm a magician, not an electrician, so I don't know the answers to these questions! SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Seth:

I was wondering about that too. I use a little Hisonic 120 B 15 watt amp ( happie amp type) and was wondering what size panel would fill the bill.

I think this is the way of the future. I can imagine just setting up a small panel out behind your joint and powering everything you need in the joint with it.

I am sure they would all be welcomed at the different venues we play, compared to noisy , smelly generators, not to mention the safety issues around kids with them.

This solar panel thing just seems like the best way to go. The only fly in the ointment would be, a cloudy day. If they invent a solar storage set up to go with the panel, we would be in hog heaven haha

Keep cool Seth!

ROD
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hey Folks!

Check this ouT!!!!!!!!! PLANS FOR A SOLAR POWERED COOLING FAN!

ROD http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Amaz......-Gadget/
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Rod -- I'm not sure if these solar panels create AC or DC current.

But it seems silly to me to have a situation where the panel is outputting DC, which you then have to convert to AC so you can plug in your PA system, which actually runs on DC in the first place (when you recharge your PA's batteries, it uses a convertor to change the AC in the wall plug to DC). And I believe that every time you convert AC to DC or vice versa, you lose energy. Furthermore, most cheap (square-wave) converters warn against running delicate devices like a PA on such a converter, because it can damage the PA components. What you really need is a very fancy (and expensive) sine-wave converter.

So the best answer would seem to be taking the direct DC output from a solar panel and running it directly to the PA, using the round DC input instead of the two-prong plug AC line. You probably need some kind of gizmo from Radio Shack to control the voltage and amperage (like those things you plug into your car's cigarette lighter to run your IPod and so forth). But now we have reached the outer limits of my electrical knowledge and I'm just making assumptions that I can't back up.

Is there an electrical engineer in the house? Smile SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
All this talk about its too hot to work and pitch.No one has said book inside spots with A/C and electric to plug in anything.

Car Shows,Boat Shows,Fairs,Home Shows,etc.Than to if you are a 30 miler(and that's ok)its hard to find them to book I would guess.

Later,
Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hey Don, there are plenty of big craft shows around here in the summer, but they only let folks with handmade crafts in. I have cracked one or two on the ground that what I am selling -- magic -- IS a craft involving sleight of hand.

But from my limited experience, craft shows and magic worms don't mix too well. Too many old ladies and artsy types, and not enough kids. They are also pretty pricey -- but I guess if you're selling $100 paintings, it's easy to make your nut. That's not the case with a $10 Svengali Deck! I'd do a flea before I'd do a craft show, I think.

But I will look around for a home show -- at least the parents ought to be bringing their kids to that. And I agree that the Svengali Pitch should do well at a car show. SETH
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
Hey Guys,

Well I wanted to wait a couple of days before I sat down to write about my first time out doing the pitch. I booked into to the flea market at Shipshewana, Indiana on what was arguably the hottest 3 days of the year. The market is open Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday on holiday weeks - so we set up for the 5th-6th. We were all ready to sell Squirmles and Svengali's however after a quick assessment of the weather situation it was clear that demoing the Squirmle would go over like a fart in a space suit (the humidity was almost at 94% and no amount of baby powder was going keep anyone's hands dry) - so we re-grouped to do cards. I have one word - AWESOME - no wonder Don chose pitching as his life's work. I was pitching with my 10 year old daughter who has learned the pitch as well. We got off to a shaky start but sold a deck in the first turn it was such a rush - all the anticipation, all the work, all the reading on this forum and finally the feeling of CASH in my hand for doing something I had worked hard at. By the second day it all came a lot easier and while the temperature was higher the humidity was a little lower and people seemed less crabby and in less of a hurry - we sold more decks than the previous day and in the end were able to pocket some extra cash - I'm definitely hooked and want to thank Don Driver for the advice and for putting out the DVD and for the advice from the guys on this forum when I was getting all of this together - I know I have a lot to learn and I am looking forward to continued learning from all of you and contributing where I can. If you are sitting on the fence wondering if you should do this - get the DVD from http://www.dondriver.net and go from there.

Thanks,
./sam
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Thanks Sam...keep up the good work.

Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Congrats, Sam on your first pitch! It IS a great feeling when someone presses a ten-spot into your hand for something that YOU sold them. Also no question that with Don's "Svengali Pitch" DVD, you were able to hit the ground running!

With more pitches will come more experience, bigger tips and bigger turns. This heat and humidity is a real killer -- when it cools down a bit, things should get much easier for you. You made a wise choice in setting the Magic Worms aside; in anything over 90 degrees, it's almost impossible to work them properly, because you just can't keep your hands dry, even with the baby powder. SETH
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
I, too, congratulate you!

Tho I actually sold my 1st demo many moons ago, it was so bad I truly couldn't see how ANYONE would want to buy from me. (In fact, I sold 2 decks to that 1st guy!) My wife was SOOO much better than I, it really made me upset that I was SOOO bad. But I was. Frankly, I'm not the worlds best YET--but I'm working on it.

So I know the feeling of selling the cards, even tho I didn't know how. But with help from Don, Seth and others on here, I'm finally not afraid to call people in and do a demo without worrying that I'll drop the deck or miss a DL. If I mess up, I just laugh it off, fake my way thru it and keep going. And count the money when I'm done. Smile

Jon
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1520 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Well done on your first two days out. My first days was not so hot as the temperature goes. But I fared well it was not until the third or forth time out I started noticing what really worked and what did not.

The only thing I would suggest is keep at it. This sales thing comes by way of doing the more you do the more confident you will become and the more you will be able to sell ice to an Eskimo.. .

Congratulations Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Too darn hot to pitch! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL