The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Handing out the rings (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Laurent van Trigt
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Laurent van Trigt
Quote:
On 2010-08-17 07:04, Ken Northridge wrote:
Along this same line of thinking, I see many ring routines that begin with the magician slowly rubbing their fingers around the rings as if to prove they are solid. Is this necessary?

Do you mean, is the rubbing convincing enough, or do you mean there is no need to prove anything?
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2368 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I mean is there a need to prove anything.

We are discussing whether we should hand out the rings for inspection. I’m taking it a step further. Why even display the rings in such a manor as to say, “see, no gaps or holes!”

Shouldn't we be able to convince the audience that the rings are solid without such a straight forward approach?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9637 Posts

Profile of funsway
Good thought, Ken. On anothe thread JT offered that the magic moment occurs when the spectator accepts that something has happened that contradicts what they know to be true. Thus, we should not spend much time teaching them what is true (or believed) and use props to which they can readily relate without any demonstration.

However, a 12" metal ring is not common to most people's familiarity and experienced believing, so some description might be necessary -- but nothing that implies it is other than common. For me, the rings are large only so that they are visible to the guy in the back row -- if I do close up I use smaller rings.

How about displaying a 5" SPirit Catcher -- hold it up and ask if eveyone can see it. When they say, "no," stretch it into a 10" ring and ask again -- then say, "Great -- I'll use that size. Wow, it even fits over my head -- thanks for the help."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2010-08-17 09:50, Ken Northridge wrote:
I mean is there a need to prove anything.

We are discussing whether we should hand out the rings for inspection. I’m taking it a step further. Why even display the rings in such a manor as to say, “see, no gaps or holes!”

Shouldn't we be able to convince the audience that the rings are solid without such a straight forward approach?

Why don't we just ask them to suspend disbelief and accept that all of the most wonderful things already happened, and we can all go home... Smile

What would you do if I came up to you and said I can make these two rings link by real magic. Would you just accept my claim, or would you want to look at the rings?

If you can bulldose your way past that with just force of personality, then you are a better con man than I am.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Handing out the rings (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL