The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Formats for Promotional Kits and Price Sheets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2913 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I have been working really hard lately on my promotional materials and had a few questions. I have written a lot of the main bulk of information that will go onto my website, promotional kit, contracts, etc. However, I will not dare send it out to anyone before I am certain it is looking professional enough. And of course, that is where I am running into problems.

I have searched through MANY threads on the Café and saw a lot of great information. Unfortunately, I did not see a lot of threads that state what is specifically in a promotional package and how it is put together. Most of the information was quite general and there didn't seem to be a one size fits all approach. I was looking for information on promotional kits that are sent out to agents/clients through the mail. I was also wondering if those materials do/should differ from any information that is presented on your website. I am curious about the content, organization, and any finer details of promotional kits anyone would mind sharing.

I also was was wondering about pricing sheets. I've been researching a lot about talent agencies and I saw that some require pricing sheets when you send the promotional kit. I've got my prices on my computer, but never needed or wanted to send a list of prices to any client. What is the best way to format and list prices for agents (by show, hourly, etc.)? Do agents judge the quality of your act by what your prices are (expensive=better)? What happens if in the future if you decide to increase your fees?

Finally, does anyone know of any good publishing software (for MAC or PC) that can assist me in making my promo kit, contract, etc. look more professional. I know there is no replacing professional publishers, but I am on a budget and I would rather be in control of the content so it can be easily changed in the future as needed.

I really want the work I've put in to pay off and am willing to do what it takes to streamline what I have. Thanks everyone for any information you can provide, I really appreciate the help I have gotten from everyone on the Café through the years.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Most agencies and companies only glance at the promo packets; they rarely read it. Send me your email and I'll send you a copy of my promo packet with other information (basically everything I send to companies and agencies)
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Nice... good job brother!

No matter which direction you choose to go, I would only add that you MAKE SURE that 'what-ever' promo style you adopt from the suggestions offered, that you ADD MASSIVE VALUE as well as FOCUS on the Benefit to the real buyer and add TONS of real PROOF!

I am, as always, at your service and in HIS Service,
Dean
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7373 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
On this older thread, there's a post I made on the topic of what to include in a promo kit.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9422 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
You will find agencies will want to know your agency rates/pricing. Often an agency will make their promo sheet based off of your promotional kit, not even using yours.
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Dave,

I got my hands on this book recently that has been helping a lot with the press kit side of things. It is written with a general/music but most of the information can easily be adapted for variety arts.

Sincerely,
David
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Whoops, forgot to add the link:

How to Be Your Own Booking Agent Book

Sincerely,
David
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2913 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Thanks for the information guys. I will definitely check out that book when I can.

Donald, that link helps a lot, thank you. A question: Do you put all of those things in some sort of a folder to send out? Or do they go paper clipped right into the mailing envelope?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7373 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Dave -

I put all of the pages into a glossy portfolio (Oxford Laminated Twin Pocket Showfolio), that has my photo glued onto the front of it. I usually glue a photo (with my name) that is about postcard sized. You can even re-purpose postcards to do the job.

Some people use the linen finish portfolios, because they don't pick up fingerprints.

Some people have their own portfolios that are commercially printed, rather than making up their own by putting a photo onto it.

You could easily put a business logo on the portfolio, instead of a photo.

My portfolio is mailed in a 10x13 white envelope, marked with these words, "Photos and DVD - Do not bend." (I usually put "Do not bend" labels on both sides of the envelope.)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2913 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Wow thanks for the info! I appreciate it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Formats for Promotional Kits and Price Sheets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL