The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Which came first? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Been bugged by some imagery - but it's parlor/stage stuff so I'm putting it out here for comment and even use if it would serve

You have an egg bag. and after a trick does not quite work, or a line does not quite get the laugh you want, you say oops, pick up the bag and out rolls an egg. You put the egg down and continue. After a few more such failures (yes you are literally laying eggs so to speak) you start putting the eggs into a box. After a few tricks that go well, you make a bad pun, and after a beat produce one more egg from the bag.

You then ask the audience about all those eggs and the old question about which came first. The chicken you say, and dropping the sides of the box you reveal a chicken. At this point you are prepared to take your leave with a capon.

?? doable? worth doing?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sure, it would work. The key would be keeping the audience there until the end. It would have to be funny enough for them to "get it" up front.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
FYI--This is similar, but not identical, to Mike Caveney's recreation of an old-timer's act (I forget the long-deceased magician's name) in which upwards of two dozen eggs are produced out of an empty cloth bag (which is larger than a standard egg bag) and placed into an empty hutch. A live chicken is then pulled out of the same empty bag as a finale.

Mike performed the routine at the Magic History Conference several years ago, and more recently he performed it several times a night during a week-long stint in the Parlor at the Magic Castle.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Jonathan, I think that is a great idea.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Sounds naff but I bet it looks good.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Its a great idea, Jonathan. It did not occur to me that the egg bag can also be used like the Lotta Vase. The revealing of the live chicken at the end is an ideal finale. Thanks for sharing, Jonathan.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
If the eggs go into a box that is there from the beginning and an egg is laid from a bag that you display everytime there is a "mistake", isn't that a give away that the whole thing was planned?
It sounds like it could borderline forced comedy which usually isn't funny at all. Do you have a way around this or do you even deem it necessary?

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Which came first? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL