The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Key by Andrew Mayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Since I work with kids, I'll choose my next volunteer from any kids that have a dollar on them. I'll demo how a magic word works, use his buck, rip up his bill, restore it with the magic word and then get on with the show, probably with him using that magic word to do the next trick.

I'm thinking from stage you can't see that it's NOT torn, so the restore can be 20 seconds away. Deliberately fold the bill,go up close, do da Booga-Boga and restore it under their noses. Or under the nose of the kid on stage.

I think it'll 'fatten up' whatever trick I'm getting into.

Well made, clear instructions, looks good, easy to do. I think it's a worker if it fits your conditions.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Um I think sticking a key in a key then ripping out and then repairing the bill is a great trick even silent. Am I alone?
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
Magikevin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Magikevin
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 00:36, rockthemike wrote:
Um I think sticking a key in a key then ripping out and then repairing the bill is a great trick even silent. Am I alone?

I hear crickets chirping.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Context?  Sometimes I go insane trying to script an effect. Smile How about this?

1. Borrow a $20 bill from a spectator.  Tell the spectator that you'll get back to the bill in a minute, but that first you have something interesting to show her.

2. Say that sometimes an important person is given what's called the "key to the city," but that you're the only magician who was given the key to the White House.

3. Hold the bill so that the spectator can see its back, and ask the spectator if she knows what the building is on the back of the bill.  Explain that it's the White House.

4. Tell the spectator that if she looks very closely at the front door of the White House, she'll see the keyhole, and ask her if she knows what will happen if you push the key into the keyhole.  Push the key in to the door so that it appears that the key is penetrating the bill, and say, " The key will come out the other side...what, you were expecting magic? (said sarcastically)."

5.  Say, "Actually, the magic part is when I pull the key out.  One, two, three (pull the key out), and the bill is unharmed, check it out."  Hand back the bill.

6.  As the spectator examines the bill, say, "You know that a man and his wife actually offered me one million dollars for this key...the Salahis, you've heard of them?  Well the buck stops here (put the key away)."

I don't know if my idea will play well in the real world. The only way to find out is to try it and judge the reaction. Personally, I'm happy with my pen through bill routine, so I won't likely be performing this effect.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Sounds like that routine would play big, Larry.

Regards,
Mike
JustinYoung
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of JustinYoung
Larry, sounds like it would play great in the DC area specifically.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
What do you guys think of this routine? It is simple, but can be emotionally powerful...it's for all the single people (I'm already happily married so this is my contribution to the single people that buy this, lol)
1) Guy meets girl.
2) Guy likes girl.
3) Guy draws a heart on piece of red paper.
4) Guy cuts out heart outline with a pair of scissors.
5) Guy writes "Your Heart" on the outline.
6) Guy pushes the key through the heart and says "I've got the keys to your heart"
7) Pull out the key, give her the heart, and strike a conversation.
If you're at the bar, you can do this with a paper napkin and such...

Regards,
Mike
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
By the way, with the routine above...when you violently pull the key out, and the heart does not tear, your explanation is simple: you can say "I will never break your heart."

Regards,
Mike
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 10:22, Larry Davidson wrote:
Context?  Sometimes I go insane trying to script an effect.

Sounds like you suffer from Scripted Insanity............

But awesome idea.....friggin awesome idea. But working for the US Senate, I am biased.........
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Thanks gents! Hard to tell that I'm a Fed in the D.C.area, huh? Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Mine, nice connection!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I ordered. I love carrying magic on a key ring.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
JustinYoung
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of JustinYoung
MagiKevin

An identical key comes with the gimmick and the DVD.
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
There's a key in one of the seals on a one dollar bill. That could certainly lend itself to motivation for the effect.

-AH
Illusion & Beyond
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Illusion & Beyond
Just ordered this. Looks great. I hope the gimmick lasts a long time. I love penetration effects, especially when you can do it with multiple objects. Really shuts up the ones that want to see something again. Just change it up a little.
Magikevin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Magikevin
Quote:
On 2010-07-16 19:15, JustinYoung wrote:
MagiKevin

An identical key comes with the gimmick and the DVD.

Well then, what can I say!? Sounds like a good deal, price is right, comes with a DVD, extra key to switch in. Some good patter and presentations demonstrated by the fine magicians posting on this thread. Hey I just might have to buy this little sucker after all.

Thanks Justin, btw I listen to every single 'itricks podcast' and I love em! Keep up the good work. If you guys aren't listening to them, your missing out BIG TIME!

Kevin
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Heck use the key as a "fraud detector". You know the "latest technology" no more messy pens to tell you if the bill is real or not. If the bill rips it's real (as you turn to the spectator and say "Hmm yep YOUR $20.00 bill is indeed real!) Then you say "Don't fear I can fix this!" (Pull out your scotch tape) Then say "Oh that's right you want to see magic---Well ok" (Fold up the bill and then unfold it to show it is 100 percent back to normal) Make sure you have him initial the bill first so he will not think you switched bills. You get fun, interaction with the audience and laughter! that's entertainment and that's what it's all about. Now where the heck are my keys?

Good magic to all,

Eric
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
If someone is initialing a bill with a pen or pencil, then just use that to penetrate the bill, or even say woops, like you made a mistake and the pen went through the bill by mistake.
The key effect looks cool. It could be good eye candy.

ACE
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I don't know, but this trick looks really weak to me. There was no sound on the demo aside from the music, but I have the distinct feeling that there is no noise whatsoever when the key penetrates the bill, or the card. Did you ever try to pierce a key through a card? It takes a wee bit of effort, and most definitely makes a ripping noise. Of course, the same also applies to a bill. Also, try piercing s key through several layers of cloth such as a suit jacket. It is almost next to impossible albeit it can be done with a LOT of effort. Will there be a ripping noise as it tears through the cloth? I seriously doubt it.

I’ve only purchased one trick from Andrew Mayne, and that was “Ghost Ink”. In all honesty, that had to be the most God awful trick I’ve had the misfortune to purchase in years! It seems as though that took off like a lead balloon and quickly died, and rightfully so. However, I’m sure everyone is entitled to put out a bomb once in awhile, so I’m not judging this new effect on my past experience. And, not having this trick it would be rightfully unfair to do so. I’m only giving my opinion as to what I perceive it to be from the demo. With that said, I’ll await further reviews, but even if it turns out to be a good effect I’ll more likely than not ever purchase it.

Quote:
On 2010-07-12 22:33, Magikevin wrote:

I'm sorry Michael. It's just kind of silly. "do you have a bill? Ok great let me stick my key through it. There see, now it's not ripped!" wow what a trick. I mean from the spectators point of view, they must be thinking, "what's the point if that?". Maybe I'm wrong.

.......'misled' in my opinion makes for a better routine.

That's my take on it.

WOW……you REALLY lost me on that statement! So you’re saying that carrying a pencil, as in Misled, makes more sense than one having something so generic as a set of keys on their person! Make no mistake about it, I think Misled is a fantastic trick and I still perform it. But, honestly, just who the h*ll carries a pencil on them anymore! I’m more likely to always have a set of keys on me rather than walking around with a pencil in my pocket. Yet you feel that having a key and doing the same effect is “silly”! I’d really be interested to hear you’re rational in pulling a pencil out of your pocket and then piercing it through a spectator’s dollar bill? Why on earth would that not be “silly” as opposed to piercing a key through a bill, and what would be the difference in the spectator’s perception? Mind you, I’m not referring specifically to “The Key” by Andrew Mayne as it were, but simply to your logic.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Piercing the key through a dollar bill like in the demo does make a "ripping" sound. You don't have to perform it this way though. You can actually perform it by holding the bill flat with no folds and jabbing the key down and through the bill. This method is not taught on the DVD but is easy enough to figure out. This is the method I prefer, similar to the way Oz performs the Stealth Pen below. The ripping sound is also present with this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzU5fifvmI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Key by Andrew Mayne (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL