The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Elders Magic Company, USA (Tom Palmer). (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Does anyone have any info. on an "Elders Magic Company, USA" under the proprietorship of a Tom Palmer? Apparently trading in the 1960s, and my information is that Tom traded ideas and material with the late Edwin Hooper of Supreme Magic Company, Bideford, Devon, England. I have some old plans for building a ROLON table dated 1963 that Supreme Magic published, and gave a very gentlemanly credit to Tom and Elders Magic for. I suspect that the now universal ROLON idea may have originated from Elders. I have further info. on the 'Little Darlings' section under the topic "Storing Stuff". Don't know about you, but if I think I've found the true originator of a routine or prop. I like to give credit to people who may have been long deceased and have no other internet reference to their lives and works.

Tony.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tom Palmer, Gloria Jacobsen Palmer (MarcoM), Van Cleve (Cleve Ernst Haubold), and John and Rose Gladfelter were the Elders. Tom Palmer was to be known as Maskelyne ye Mage and Tony Andruzzi.

All of the Elders have passed away. Gloria was the last of them. Van Cleve owned the rights to the Gag Bag, the rights to the rest of the Elders material was sold to Magic, Inc. by Tom Palmer.

Hope this information helps.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Thanks for this interesting info. Bill, and I guess we've now given the Elders that internet presence their memory much deserved. Kindest wishes for 2004.
Tony.
marc pearl
View Profile
New user
Sarasota Florida
17 Posts

Profile of marc pearl
I bought one of the Rolon tables from Tom Palmer at the Elders store at the old Ireland's location around 1966. It is really nice. It opens up to become a presentation table. It's a box on wheels. One side comes off to be the top of the table. The front unfolds on hinges, with two sides that unfold from that, to form the upper half of the table. A shelf keeps the upper half stable. So my entire show could be kept in the table. The entire table has a velour finish, with a big silver 'M' (for 'marc')on the front.

I have this in the present tense, because it still exists. I kept it for 35 years, until I gave it with most of my magic act to my nephew, to hopefully carry on the 'tradition'....It is still in great shape.

Elders was a cool place, as were all magic stores back then.

Marc
jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
I remember being at Tom and Gloria Palmers one bright Summer day. Tom was in the garage building an Appearance Throne ( which he used in his act at the TAOM the following September ) and Gloria was frantically sewing....hard at work behind the machine. I asked her what she was doing and she mentioned "Gag Bags"....have to get them ready. Here, take a look at it." This was the weekend prior to the great unveiling of the Elders; "Gag Bag" was one of the first products. Each of their effects had the Palmer- Haubold humor that made the products so much fun. They were the first to produce a hilarious Cannibal Card Routine which I still have. Gloria's Gag Bag that she gave me that day lasted until just a couple of years ago. I wore it out.
Success to all.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That must have been about 1959 or 1960.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3490 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Yes, I had one of Tom's first "flocked" rolon tables, as a kid,
and he was the engineer who designed them.

That is still the best design… no handle on the front like those today!

Well... Paul Osborne as the kid was in the back doing that flocking I found out!

And Paul just made me an "original" style, genuine Palmer Rolon table,
but covered with nice fabric instead of flock.

Paul sells the plans, but will also make the tables!

Ah, the past!
Walt
mikefallen
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of mikefallen
Where can one search to learn more about tom Palmer guys? I once spoke to someone (i do not recall the name of the magician) that told me that he was a "very crazy pearson" (not trying to be unpleasent, please...!) -that was what he told me - and that he in fact burned his collection (if I recall it well...). But told me that he had great great stuff and ideas!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a semi-bigraphical book about Tom Palmer called "Unspeakable Acts." (I think) That would be a good place to start.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Elders Magic Company, USA (Tom Palmer). (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL