The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Dr. Albo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Is he still alive? Is his collection intact?
Thanks in advance
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I believe that he is very much alive and that his collection, if anything, continues to grow. I know someone who has made several of the rarer items in the collection.
Dick Christian
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Dr. Albo is still very much alive. However, according to a source close to him, Dr. Albo recently sold his entire collection to a major illusionist who has a very large collection.

According to my source, the contract was so tight that Dr. Albo was not allowed to keep a single item from his collection. Evidently, he did not read the contract as closely as he should have.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for your replies gentlemen.

Sorry, I should have done this before posting, but Google shows that Dr. Albo is now 78 years old and retired as a surgeon.

Sad to hear about the selling of the collection to, I assume, DC. I remember the article (I think from the New Yorker) where Ricky Jay had some choice comments on the nature of that illusionist's collection.

OTH, I suppose it is a good thing that the collection is intact and will probably be taken care of.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ah, but the illusionist has missed a few props. He will probably never get the ones that are in the ruins of Magic Island in Houston.

Dr. Albo has been in a wheelchair for about a year and a half.

He is really a nice man with a great sense of humor.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Bob Albo is a terrific guy.

When I was appearing in a Bay Area hotel in the late 1960s Bob gave me a tour of his collection. While that was early in his collecting days his Okito items were works of art...perfectly square corners...deep lacquer finishes...just wonderful to look at.

He ended up with one of my Martin items and the write up describing it is by me.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Buma (Marvin, not Mark) told me that Dr. Albo would come into his shop, still wearing his surgical greens and say, "Where is the antique magic you just got in? I can SMELL it!"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
The sale of Bob's collection to David Copperfield is well known, at least in the collecting community.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Never met Dr Albo, but had one thing in common...being UCSF medical school alumnae
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I purchased Volume 2 of Albo's Classic Magic Series at a bookfair at Stanford University. When I got home and started looking it over, I noticed on the front end page was written "To Bing Crosby, with regards & best wishes, Bob Albo." I naturally contacted Dr. Albo as he lived in northern California, He stated that he used to golf with Bing and had given him volume 1&2.
I think due to its provenance it has a little more value.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Charles Schultz of Peanuts fame has a museum, in which his art studio is on display. On one the shelves is a complete file of Albo's books. Doc also, early on, worked at Disney as an animator.

He was an All American baseball player drafted by the Giants, but opted to go to medical school. He's the chief medical officer for the Oakland Raiders, and when he was the chief medical officer for the San Francisco Seals hockey team, I was the team's photographer.

I may be wrong, but I do not believe his collection has been delivered as yet.

I just recieved his latest offering, THE COMPLETE THAYER. A set of two incredible books with 12 DVDs, that IMHO is probably the FINEST PAIR OF BOOKS EVER PUBLISHED.

Ssdly, Doc is now in a wheel chair with a nerve disorder affecting his legs. He's in great spirits, though, and still very active.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JL608
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of JL608
Dr. Albo and Charles Schulz were very close friends. In fact, he delivered the eulogy at Schulz' funeral.

Joe
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Did not know that Joe. Going to NEMCA?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
This is all extremely fascinating. Thanks for the background everyone. I had no idea he was so accomplished. A true Renaissance man.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2010-07-16 00:49, Clay Shevlin wrote:
The sale of Bob's collection to David Copperfield is well known, at least in the collecting community.

sure is.
and it is an interesting deal that david set up as to the money is being handled.
I remember a few years ago when he told me about us about via the phone a couple
of years ago.

his collection is throughly extensive but despite everything okito's favorite
robes were not part of the collection.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Promagia
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Promagia
Dr. Albo, the world's greatest collector of magical apparatus passed away. May he rest in peace.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-02-21 12:01, Promagia wrote:
Dr. Albo, the world's greatest collector of magical apparatus passed away. May he rest in peace.

I just learned this on the Thayer Magic website. This is very sad news.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
A great loss.
Dick Christian
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I just checked some records and Doc Albo and I met and worked together 49 years ago. He had just returned from Hawaii and was suffering with what he told me was, "Similar to Lou Gherig's Disease."

He will be sadly missed. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Wow, that is unfortuante! He published some great books and by the sounds of it was a terrific guy.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Dr. Albo (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL