We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Expert at the Card Table? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
After seeing someone post lybrary.com, I took a look and there are some great books on there.

I have heard this one book mentioned many times in dvds I casually watch or articles I read-
The Expert at the Card Table

Is this book any good for someone who loves card magic? Is it worth having or is it aimed at the absolute beginners?
WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
Also is Tarbell Course worth a purchase too for a good read?
octave
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of octave
It is definitely not aimed at beginners. You can download The expert at the card table (for free) from Erdnase dot com. The tarbell course at lybrary is different from the tarbell books. From what I read here the books have more effects than the digital version.

Tarbell books are highly recommended but they are not restricted to card magic alone.

-octave
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2010-07-14 02:03, WazMeister wrote:

Tarbell is more than a "good read"; it's an encyclopedia of magic.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-07-14 07:19, M Sini wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-14 02:03, WazMeister wrote:

Tarbell is more than a "good read"; it's an encyclopedia of magic.

A RESOUNDING AAAAAMMMMEEEEEENNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarbell is, in my opinion - and many others whose opinions are FAR more valuable than mine - ESSENTIAL reading. Just make sure to get the actual BOUND books and not the digitized version. The bound books are a GREATLY expanded version of the original course Dr. Tarbell first created in the 1920's

As for EATCT, it's an excellent book, but, if you are a beginner - and since you are asking about Tarbell in such a manner of unfamiliarity, I would urge you for now to steer clear of Erdnase. If you buy all 8 volumes of the Tarbell Course, you will have a reference sources and tons (and even tonnes for my metric friends) of great magic and sound essays on theory, staging, psychology, etc., that will serve you forever.

If you are looking for cards only, I heartily suggest Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne (revised an updated in Classic Collect, volume one). CUCM is widely considered to be one of the most important books on card magic ever written.

Card College by Swiss master Roberto Giobbi is a well written and exhaustive work on card magic.

Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue is also excellent. That being said, you will see spirited - even raging - debates as to whether Giobbi's opus has made RRTCM obsolete.

But I REALLY have to return to Tarbell for a second: this series of eight books IS truly an encyclopedia of magic. Calling it a good read is like saying the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is a decent cartoon, or that the Hagia Sophia is a decent representative of early cathedral architecture. Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hey Octave, good to see you here Smile

The digitized version is the original version of the course and I think is equivalent to the first five volumes of the expanded course published first by Louis Tannen and then by D. Robbins. Volume six came much later. Volume seven even later than that and was written by Harry Lorayne who also indexed the (at the time) seven volumes extant and a great index it is! Volume eight was released I believe in the late 1990s and consisted of "found" material from Dr. Tarbell's notes. This volume was edited by Steve Burton and Richard Kaufman.

Man, my Tarbell Course is SO well loved. I still have all the jackets, but they are taped together beyond belief. Tarbell and Apocalypse are my "go-to" sources above all others, even the legendary (and it IS) Greater Magic.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8466 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Okay, time for my plug. If you really want to learn cards, entertain with cards, etc., I've written quite a few books just for you. Go to my magic website - third one listed under this post, to see which of my items are currently available. I'm going to say something now which I know will get many to "jump" on me. Over the years, I've had so many people tell me that, if interested in card magic, my books - currently Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Volumes 1 and 2 (I'm trying to get volume 3 done as we speak) were and are much more important to them, taught them much more in the card-magic area, than Tarbell. You certainly will learn a heck of a lot from Tarbell (hey, I wrote #7), but just telling you what many have told me. If you have any questions, PM me. Best - HARRY L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
octave
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of octave
Quote:
On 2010-07-14 09:09, Vlad_77 wrote:

The digitized version is the original version of the course and I think is equivalent to the first five volumes of the expanded course published first by Louis Tannen and then by D. Robbins. Volume six came much later. Volume seven even later than that and was written by Harry Lorayne who also indexed the (at the time) seven volumes extant and a great index it is! Volume eight was released I believe in the late 1990s and consisted of "found" material from Dr. Tarbell's notes. This volume was edited by Steve Burton and Richard Kaufman.

Man, my Tarbell Course is SO well loved. I still have all the jackets, but they are taped together beyond belief. Tarbell and Apocalypse are my "go-to" sources above all others, even the legendary (and it IS) Greater Magic.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the tarbell versions Vlad. For pure card magic I would recommend atleast CUCM as most of the materials are within the grasp of a beginner, but at the same time the effects are hard hitting. I will be able to round up enough money for Apocalypse by this year end. I hope it doesn't go OOP.

To the OP: Some very good books recommended in this thread (http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=367768&forum=2&start=0)

-octave
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Tarbell and Harry's books are both pretty much classics. Smile

As an intro slight of hand book I also really like Bill Tarr's "Now you see it, now you don't."
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-07-14 10:20, octave wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-14 09:09, Vlad_77 wrote:

Ahimsa,
Vlad

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the tarbell versions Vlad. For pure card magic I would recommend atleast CUCM as most of the materials are within the grasp of a beginner, but at the same time the effects are hard hitting. I will be able to round up enough money for Apocalypse by this year end. I hope it doesn't go OOP.

To the OP: Some very good books recommended in this thread (http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=367768&forum=2&start=0)

-octave

Octave,

Glad you will be catching the wonderful affliction of Apocalypse-itis!! My advice to you is stock up on cards, food and drink if necessary, and dive in!!

BTW, last I saw a night or two ago, someone was selling all four bound Apocalypse volumes for 190.00 USD post paid. Check out the Let's Make a Magic Deal area!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
octave
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of octave
I think James sold the books. Should have enough dough for these books and CC3 by Diwali this year.

-octave
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
To address your original question ,The Expert at the Card Table is wonderful and not very expense,certainly well worth having. Some of the sleights are difficult , but it is full of great observations ,history and advice. It is the first card book I bought many years ago.
I highly reccommend Harry Loraynes books for any skill level.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Just watched a special about Dai Vernon. He considered "Expert at the Card Table" to be his starting point. Even when questioned about his miraculous handlings, he would refer to it, just saying he'd read between the lines.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-07-16 00:41, octave wrote:
I think James sold the books. Should have enough dough for these books and CC3 by Diwali this year.

-octave

Then this will be a very special Festival of Lights for you!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Harry's right...buy his book, EATCT is B.S! It's an old text, that in my mind sucks. All that difficult language(and RRTCM and Card College--is better)!
If fact avoid this text (and no. I not being sarcastic---it's B.S.)

AJ
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Quote:
Harry's right...buy his book, EATCT is B.S!

Funny, I don't remember Harry saying that at all! Smile

Actually, you make a good point, ONLY in so far as that we don't all learn the same way, and we're not all looking for the same things. I own RRTCM and it's a great text. BTW, it's an "old text", too, and many here don't like it, preferring CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4, CC..., ad infinitum, ad nauseum?

But if RR were the only text I owned I'd be in a sorry state. Got Mark Wilson’s Encyclopedia as well, two “versions”. It’s wonderful (but not enough). Got something from Blackstone Jr. (my current "favorite" card trick is an impromptu from Blackstone), something from Walter Gibson, something from George Anderson, John Scarne, Karl Fulves, Jean Huggard, Bill Severn, John Mulholland, and J.B. Bobo (yes, it helps with cards), and that’s just on one shelf.

Even have something by Harry, one of his first “best sellers” I think, collaborated with Jerry Lucas, called “The Memory Book”. (Harry, I want you to sign this!)

The point is, NONE of it is “BS”, not one piece of it is garbage. ALL of it has taught me something. I’m currently making my way through EATCT for the first time seriously pulling it apart, and it’s fascinating stuff. It’s not just the techniques, but the reasoning behind the techniques as well; the good, the bad, and the “other” things that were used. It’s a cool trip through time, AND you learn how to handle cards as well. If reading this 100 times will make me half the magician “The Professor” was, well brother, I’ll see you later! Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2010-07-17 06:53, andre combrinck wrote:
Harry's right...buy his book, EATCT is B.S! It's an old text, that in my mind sucks. All that difficult language(and RRTCM and Card College--is better)!
If fact avoid this text (and no. I not being sarcastic---it's B.S.)

AJ

I hope you're joking. Ernase' book is one dear to my heart. In fact I have several versions, written all over the pages (which are yellow and crumbled from many reads!).
I love the classic text of Erdnase.
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
Sorry guys, I've started reading Erdnase and can not put it down or pratice these sleigts.

I'm sticking with it!

p.s already have Harrys book and read it twice and love it!
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Yes Harry's books are great. Card College, Marlo's revolutionairy card technique, Erdnase, Expert Card Technique, Wilson course, Tarbell, Strong magic, Dear mr Fantasy, Vernon Chronicles and mr. Lorayne's books are the books I will never sell or give away. They are dear to my heart Smile
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Expert at the Card Table? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL