The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I saw a street magician performing today... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
purpulhaze
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of purpulhaze
I just got back from the Fisherman's Warf here in San Fran. While I was there, I saw a magician performing on the street. I was curious to find out who he was. So I stuck around after he finished a few tricks. Come to find out this guy really wasn't a magician but I guess no one could tell. He told me that he just started doing this about 6 months ago after attending a magic show here in the bay area.

I should have known by all the gimmicks he used. This is what gets me though. His tip can was pretty full. He even had people clapping as if they where impressed. We talked a bit and I showed him The Crazy Man's Handcuffs which he complimented me on. He then proceded to show me a trick. He asked if I've seen the disappearing deck. As soon as I said yes he quickly put it away as if he was embarrassed. We then both shook hands and I went on my way. I didn't care for any of the tricks he did but I was impressed at how he put his self out there. It just amazes me how he took some simple inexpensive gimmicks to captivate these people.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Yup. But did you really not care for the tricks? Just because you happen to have seen them dozens of times doesn't mean they aren't good. I'm sure the audience enjoyed them. Once again, proof we are here to entertain regular people with our magic, not impress other magicians.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
noumena
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County, CA
136 Posts

Profile of noumena
I think a more well thought out look into the art of magic will draw you further away from what the effect is and into what the performers personality is in itself as well as relative to the effect and those who are interacted with. Take a look at the work of Derren Brown and his ideas in his book "Absolute Magic" as well as perfromers like Blaine and more importantly Canasta. This is an idea I believe needs to be given constant attention in our thinking as entertainers.

Warmly,
Brandon Cross
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I just walk around in malls and go up to people and ask if they want to see something. Eventually there is at least a 5 person circle. I usually go up to the college girls. Smile Especially blondes (No offence) lol I get the best reactions with them.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
How much money do you make doing that?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Are you talking to me Harry? If so, I get paid nothing. I do it for experience and just for fun.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I wonder if your not "caring for any of the tricks" is a bit like many magicians felt about David Blaine when his first special aired.

Most were annoyed that he got a T.V. special doing many of the same things as the rest of us do - maybe some do it better.

The performer you saw has that quality we all envy (or at least we should) at one time or another. (i.e.) He saw something he wanted to do, found out what he needed to do to make it happen and then went out and did it.

That is why he was performing for money and you were watching, that is why Blaine got a special and the rest of us complain about his technique, that is why Mac King works Vegas and I am sitting here typing.

It is an admirable quality and they deserve our admiration.

I think you should have let him show you the vanishing deck - it would have nicely demonstrated the respect you say you had.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
DJ, yep I was addressing you. I'm glad to hear that you are out there and performing. It is admirable that you are doing it to have some fun and to make people smile. Nothing more worthwhile than putting a smile on someone’s face! Keep up the good work.

Very good points Frank!

I think the first post said it all "His tip can was pretty full. He even had people clapping as if they were impressed." I think that was the true measure of the performance. The audience enjoyed it and showed their enjoyment by clapping and giving a bit of cash!

Knowing what an audience will like and pay for is much more difficult than knowing a ton of neat tricks. I think that this guy is a true magician and I suspect that he will get smoother and smoother over the months he is out on the streets.

I have to admire anyone who has the brass to get out there and put it on the line.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Quote:
On 2003-06-28 21:52, purpulhaze wrote:
His tip can was pretty full. He even had people clapping as if they were impressed.

I think they probably were impressed purpulhaze.
I agree with the fact that he was making tips says it all. You don't have to be the greatest finger flinging magician to do a great job on the street. People like to be entertained. A guy doesn't have to do MAGIC to do that.
Jason
purpulhaze
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of purpulhaze
You guys are right. I guess I've been doing this stuff so long I'm getting away from what magic really is about. It's so easy to get caught up in your own little world with this stuff. It seems I always loose interest in the practical effects. I'm always looking for something new and different. I would think that this is a good thing but I guess it isn't so important when dealing with laymen.
JesseMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Oxnard, CA
124 Posts

Profile of JesseMagic
Quote:
It just amazes me how he took some simple inexpensive gimmicks to captivate these people.

Can you say...David Blaine.

I'm not another DB basher, but isn't that what he did... took simple tricks, The Raven, The Rising Deck, Bite a Coin, Invisible Deck, and got huge reactions...don't get me wrong these are all great effects, but to the laymen they are miracles...you weren't impressed because your a magician... Smile
myshadow
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of myshadow
As ever its all down to presentation. If they clapped and filled his tip tin they liked him. They were entertained and that's what its about.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Exactly, that's why I don't get paid. I just like to put smiles on people's faces.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
>I have to admire anyone who has the brass >to get out there and put it on the line.

Yeah, that has to be it in the end. He didn't screw any of the tricks up and he entertained his audience, so who are we to say he's "not a magician" because he only started a few months ago or didn't do knuckle breaking effects? Smile Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
indianajones
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of indianajones
I think he IS a magician, seeing that he was able to use the gaffs effectively to mystify his audience and entertain them.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Hey, he got paid.

Not only is he a magician, he is a professional magician.

0pus
Alexander the Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Alexander the Magician
The '6 months and on the street' thing is a little scary, but as long as he was practiced with his gimicks, and thoughtfull in his presentation, more power to him.
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It just amazes me how he took some simple inexpensive gimmicks to captivate these people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, it all comes back to presentation. Some of the simplest, easiest effects are what get people, ie Sponge Balls.
..::damienfell::..
DavidSak
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of DavidSak
You can shock people with simple gimmicks such as bitten coin, once again, it is all about the emotion you put into it and your facial expressions.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
I don't like gimmicks, that is gimmicks that can't be examined. I have some gimmicks. I like(color changing knives, scotch and soda, stealth pen thru bill) but when I'm on the street I tend to rely more on tricks that can't go wrong. There can be sleight of hand in it, as long as I practiced it and know it like the back of my hand. I have a brainwave deck yet. I do not like to use it unless I have a lot of trust from the people. I'm performing to if I'm in front of a crowd of hecklers. I'm really scared to do it because when I put the deck away they'll undoubtably say something and I'm not good at keeping my cool I get very nervous and warm when something like that happens so I tend to use pure sleight of hand skill: things like tenkai pinch, pass, culling, palming .....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I saw a street magician performing today... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL