The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best self working card prediction effect (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Friedrich
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Friedrich
Another interesting (almost) selfworking prediction effect using a quite different principle than the "5 Star Prediction" or "Knock'em Dead" is Tommy Wonder's "Elisabeth IV" found on one of his DVDs (newer version than in his books...).
Quite ingenious but at the same time a little unpractical...
Some ideas for it:
-use for the top prediction card the standard 52-cards-on-one-card gag card
-using Woody's Mnemonica Siamesa (see "Cosas Mias", Woody Aragon)you can do the
trick using only one deck which you can use for many other effects, the downside
is, that the card can't be just named any longer, but has to be chosen, though
very freely, for instance spectator deals cards face up and stops where ever he
wants (no equivoce this time!)
-could also be done with Bob Kohler's black envelope...

Has anyone performed this little marvel?
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
586 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Thanks, Nicolino and Friedrich. Are these sources still in print or is it a second-hand-only track down and purchase? The routine sounds really good and I need to investigate it further.

Will be away in OZ and NZ for the next 5 days but will look upon my return.

Best

Martyn
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Just reading an old issue of Magic Magazine and Double Vision by Simon Aronson is also a nice little 2 card prediction effect virtually self working apart from some simple sleights
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1095 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 20:22, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 17:34, tltq wrote:
OOTW

tltq,

Respectfully submitted, but if you are presenting OOTW as a prediction effect, you are asking for a LOT of difficulties. PM me if you would like to know my reasoning - not that I am an authority - but, presenting OOTW as a prediction weakens it - CONSIDERABLY - to the point of a puzzle.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I will give you a hint: PSYCHOLOGY

I was going to suggest Ammar's OOTW from the Easy to Master series. You can predict two cards that don't match which you reveal at the end.

This variation has always stunned my audience. Interested though Vlad in why you think it weakens the effect. Do you not think getting them all right is too perfect?

Also I'd like to add Premonition by Eddie Joseph or one of it's variations that use the same principle. Futurezone by JB Magic is also incredibly strong.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-11-26 02:49, UncleBunkle wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 20:22, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 17:34, tltq wrote:
OOTW

tltq,

Respectfully submitted, but if you are presenting OOTW as a prediction effect, you are asking for a LOT of difficulties. PM me if you would like to know my reasoning - not that I am an authority - but, presenting OOTW as a prediction weakens it - CONSIDERABLY - to the point of a puzzle.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I will give you a hint: PSYCHOLOGY

I was going to suggest Ammar's OOTW from the Easy to Master series. You can predict two cards that don't match which you reveal at the end.

This variation has always stunned my audience. Interested though Vlad in why you think it weakens the effect. Do you not think getting them all right is too perfect?

Also I'd like to add Premonition by Eddie Joseph or one of it's variations that use the same principle. Futurezone by JB Magic is also incredibly strong.

UncleBunkle,

I would be happy to offer my reasoning. I do Harry Lorayne's Impromptu Out of This Universe. In this approach, the spectator shuffles the cards; there truly is NO set up. Each phase is so unbelievably fair. The first phase where the magician pulls an as yet unknown card from the fan and has the spectator "feel" the color is enhanced by the second phase of the spectator pulling the cards herself.

I present this such that at ANY time the spectator can can change her mind - even AFTER the deals. I play this to the hilt. Since I present this as an "experiment" rather than a magic effect, I have found that the WTF factor is profound. I tell the spectators at the outset that this MAY fail, that it is really up to how in tune THEY are. Mr. Lorayne's version provides for so many opportunities for the spectator to seemingly control the outcome that the impossibility factor and tension increase dramatically with each card.

One of the BEST touches in Mr. Lorayne's routine is when you show the remainder of the deck in random order that is a result of the SPECTATOR shuffle. This occurs BEFORE the final reveal. (N.B. The whole deck is NOT dealt in this version) So, the spectator has a visual reminder that SHE shuffled the cards as you recap what has happened. The second phase locks in the "fact" that SHE handled the cards throughout. The final reveal then becomes as hard hitting as a Lou Gehrig line drive. (I know you are British Uncle, so, Lou Gehrig was actually considered a much more dangerous hitter in baseball than Babe Ruth. It was said that while Ruth's home runs were towering, majestic shots, Gehrig's were wickedly lethal straight on line drives that exploded off the bat.)

To have a prediction for THIS particular effect in which you have demonstrated that you knew before hand where the spectator would miss - what cards they guessed incorrectly - detracts from the impossibility factor because it is implied that somehow you ultimately had control of the cards and it is thus "reduced" to a (very) strong magic effect.

Mr. Lorayne has commented elsewhere on the Café concerning the problem with the prediction aspect and I believe his reasoning is sound. Hopefully he will see this thread and make comment. If he does not, I will PM and ask him if he would kindly take a moment to share his thoughts.

अहिंसा

Vlad

PS: The "Too Perfect Theory" has its merits of course. But, let's take the classic effect Do As I Do. This effect is still in my opinion one of the most powerful effects in card magic. One would think it could be easily reconstructed given the fairness of method, yet, never in 20 years of doing this classic have I ever gotten anything less than gasps at the denouement.

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 9:30am
Hi all,

Chiming in once more with a GREAT prediction effect that I have reviewed and will be released in early December. It is a new effect by Cameron Francis entitled "Backdraft". This is a wicked effect on its own, but, the extra ideas create insane possibilities for other applications.

My review is here....

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=159&21

Cameron's demo is here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGkp5zY5d48

अहिंसा

Vlad
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1095 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Thanks for your thoughts Vlad. Where can I find Harry's version?
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Stewart James' "Miraskill" is probably one of the greatest self-working prediction type of effects out there.

Another I personally favor is "Prior Commitment" by Simon Aronson.
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
Peter Duffie's 'That's a Fact' is a great self worker in which the spectator does most of the work. The magician only has to remember one simple thing.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2527 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2010-12-14 19:34, J.Warrens wrote:
Stewart James' "Miraskill" is probably one of the greatest self-working prediction type of effects out there.

Another I personally favor is "Prior Commitment" by Simon Aronson.

Agreed---and the price is right
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
904 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Hey Russell, to answer your question, you can find Harry's Impromptu Out of This World in the book "The Classic Collection Volume 1" as well as a TON of other great effects. It's a bit pricey as magic books go, but it's worth it! At least, it was to me!!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
598 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Harry's IMPROMPTU OOTW is also in his booklet MY FAVORITE CARD TRICKS. Brilliant and powerful!
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Just a simple comment. Learned years ago when discussing movie serials (if you are old enough to remember them)that there is never any such thing in any field as THE BEST. There can only be YOUR FAVORITE. That will eliminate a lot of controversy.
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Some other good prediction effects I've found lately

Something Happened from Lennart Green's Masterfile DVD which is an impromptu handling of Paul Harris Overkill that can be done using a shuffled deck and the right card at the right number prediction from Danie Peris book the Peristance which relies on a new variation of the gilbreath principle and some other techniques combined to make what I think is a very clean effect. The cards are shuffled by the spectator they have a free choice as to what 3 cards they get and when these are totalled the card at that number in a deck which has been in full view is the one the magician has predicted. They even get to deal to the card themselves face up to show that there are no duplicate cards and can examine both decks at the end there's nothing to find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIhjeExdkkw&feature=related
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"Subjectively speaking, The Beatles are the best rock band ever, Willie Mays was the best baseball player, and Kurzweil Music Systems makes the best workstation synthesizers. You see how ANY of these could be refuted easily? To ME they are the "best" but another would counter with Led Zeppelin, Honus Wagner, and Korg. "

Consider this before persisting in the pedantic Everything is Subjective posts: No right-minded could regard the Starland Vocal Band, Buddy Biancalana, and my self-assembled synthesizer the best band, baseball player, and synthesizer. So while every single person obviously won't say the same person/thing is the best, asking the question narrows the list from the millions to just a handful of plausible "bests." That's a question worth asking. That different people have different preferences is neither an interesting insight nor a reason not to ask "what is the best..."
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
>that there is never any such thing in any field as THE BEST

Pfff, are we going to get that discussion again. In the eyes of the people who respond in this topic these effects are the best. We (almost) all know what the initiator of this topic meant. Is this a magicforum of some philosophy group ?
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Where in print can be found Harry Lorayne Amazing Prediction ?
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1001 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Rim Shots was where it was originally published I think. But I am sure he'll tell you very soon in which of his Classic Collection series you can find the reprint of that book.

To be honest, my opinion is that this is the weaker of the books written by Lorayne I've got. I do not own them all so there could be something worse that Rim Shots. Anyway, it's a small booklet and Amazing Prediction is (always IN MY OPINION) the best effect in it.

I admit having had some problems in the past with Mr. Lorayne, but undoubtedly he has published some of the best material you can perform with a pack of cards.

Now, here's the heresy: there is an effect called Insured Prediction in Card College vol. 5 page 1311 and which is credited to Racherbaumer and Lorayne. It's very similar to Amazing Prediction, but with a different presentation. For my style it is a better presentation and I have had huge success with laymen, but as Giobbi says it is not an effect can can be performed in any circumstance and with any audience. You need to choose the right moment and right conditions. If you have the opportunity, check it out.

mlippo
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
From a borrowed, shuffled deck in use:

Tarot Below Zero/ Spectral Chill.

The basic principle can be adapted and performed as a very strong prediction effect.

It is utterly self-working and impervious to reverse-engineering. A compelling story helps.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
In Up the Ante, there is a final reveal that is such a shocker, I adapted the core presentation and now perform it as a prediction effect.

The spectator cuts, shuffles and deals the cards. You needn't touch the deck.

Which makes the final prediction...staggeringly impossible.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Nunhunter
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Nunhunter
Quote:
On 2010-07-30 01:28, Blueroyalty wrote:
Just thought of another...Thom Peterson's "The Known" is a very nice prediction effect.

Love this trick. Love a good chunk of the tricks on that DVD in fact. Which is not something you can always say.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best self working card prediction effect (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL