The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tableless Chop Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
I'm getting interested in playing with a chop cup, but I'm reluctant to carry around a table just for that. Are there any basic routines around for a chop cup worked entirely in the hands? I know Dennis Loomis has something using a mini-cup, but I'm talking about a regular sized one. Does that routine (or parts of it) translate to a larger cup? Can I buy the routine by itself? Are there any other resources that anyone knows of?

Thanks,

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Bill, I highly recommend the Dennis Loomis routine, and the Jim Riser mini-cup. Dennis has a new routine coming out and his previous routine is on sale.

Physically, a chop cup with a larger cup will be difficult. With the mini cup you can pick up the ball and the cup with one hand while using the other as a table. With a larger cup, that isn't going to work.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Actually, Harold, you can use a pretty good sized chop cup done on the hand. I've been playing with a routine for a larger chop cup myself. Hope to have the new/old Mason style Chop cup on the market by the end of the year. It will be dice cup size, and I'm working on a routine for it which would utilize your left hand as the working surface, just like the Micro Chop. I invite any Café readers to visit my web site and read some of the ideas in the FAQ/tips section of the Micro Chop Page. You may get some ideas that you can incorporate into your chop cup routine. Don't feel obligated to buy anything... but I will try to tempt you. Smile
Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
Thanks for advice, guys, (and great site, Dennis.)

I've been giving it some more thought - if I placed a loaded cup on my left palm, and asked a spectator/assistant to lift the cup, then hand them the load while jamming the cup on the load that my right hand has just stolen, and repeat the procedure with the same or a different spectator - that should work, shouldn't it? Or am I overlooking something really obvious?

I like the idea of keeping a fair bit of audience involvement (especially with kids) and this should do it!

Also, does anyone do chop cup for kids? Oh, never mind, I'll ask in the 'little darlings' forum.

Thanks,

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Get a small, six inch in diameter close up pad... or maybe put a Magical Glove on the speckies hand? Hmmmm I just thought of that and I like it myself.

Yoweee... a tiny bit of thought here. Put a funny colored glove on speckie thay maybe has a magnet on the knuckle side.

Holding palm up.

You could hide a ball UNDER her hand that is stuck to magnet... Steal it, leave it, put it back.. THINK OF THE POSSIBLITIES...

LET ME KNOW

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Of course you can use a large cup...Dai Vernon's Cone and Ball (thought obviously different methodology and a stage effect) should show anyone that a Chop Cup routine with a fair size cup is possible...

I too am working on such a routine...got my cup some years ago it is one step down from the classic regular size original chop cup...Mine is slightly larger than a dice cup...Good Luck!
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
Around ten years ago, in Germany, I had the chance to see Patrick Page (the great magician from England) perform in a "real world" / table hopping situation.
He did a wonderful chop cup routine, all in the spectator's palm (it was a woman...). He just put a little plate or coffee cup plate on her hand and did a standard routine. terrific !

ARNO

http://www.arno-magie.com
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2475 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
MMMM... in a similar vane to the Patrick Page idea....maybe you can use a cardboard bar coaster for the table for a spectator to hold.

Combine that with a chop cup made out of one of those thermal drinking cups.

....just a thought !

Jeff Smile
Long Island,

New York
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13359 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
There was a routine in Genii or Magic a couple years ago that used a hank on the spectators' hand and 2 mag balls.

I don't remember which issue.

It was a pretty descent routine and I believe the hank played 2 purposes.
1. to reduce the feel in the speckys' hand.
2. to cover the final load somehow.

I just can't remember but it seemed good.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Gee what a bunch of great ideas... Smile
Here's a BAD one (just shows you what you get with someone who's imagination runs wild).

"Hold out your hand" you say... "Hmmm... with the flu season, here let me put some Lysol on your hand"

Spray NOVACAINE onto their hand from a Lysol can.

Now they won't feel anything.

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Frank,

That is a killer routine in Genii, and the solutions to the problems listed above are amazingly elegant. I refuse to tip any further.

Okay, here's one more thing: using a gaff similar to that suggested by Billy McComb, I use the routine with a glass covered by a paper bag. The final load is a baseball, and then the glass vanishes from the spectator's hand. The hank does little to dull the spectator's sense of touch. The routine takes care of that.

'nuff said.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24226 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When I was working at Cavalier Dayes, I occasionally did my chop cup routine in the spectator's hand. Because of the way the routine was structured, I did not need to have anything on the spectator's hand to keep them from feeling the ball or the final loads. I used a leather cup, so I could pinch the load and keep it in place until I wanted to reveal it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
Patrick page idea of using plate are great! or else get a card board or mouse pad.
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tableless Chop Cup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL