The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unemployment rate (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
This not having enough to eat stuff isn't as fun as you might think.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Have you tried collecting old books and selling them on ebay? Or tried anything like that?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Nope. I do have four jobs I've interviewed for that have not told me I was too old and unattractive yet...hopefully one will hire me. If not for the ol' food pantry I'd be SOL.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well if they do then go to ebay where they can’t see how old and unattractive you are.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/......dispute/

Federal Judge Blocks Portions of Arizona Illegal Immigration Law

A federal judge on Wednesday blocked some of the toughest provisions in the Arizona illegal immigration law, putting on hold the state's attempt to have local police enforce federal immigration policy.

Though the rest of the law is still set to go into effect Thursday, the partial injunction on SB 1070 means Arizona, for the time being, will not be able to require police officers to determine the immigration status of anyone they stop or arrest.

U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton also struck down the section of law that makes it a crime not to carry immigration registration papers and the provision that makes it a crime for an illegal immigrant to seek or perform work.

In all, Bolton struck down four sections of the law, the ones that opponents called the most controversial. Bolton said she was putting those sections on hold until the courts resolve the issues.

The ruling said the Obama administration, which sought the injunction, is likely to "succeed on the merits" in showing the above provisions are preempted by federal law.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Not surprising considering who placed her on the bench. Just wait, the police in Phoenix will ask 500 non Hispanics for their ID's today and one Hispanic and it will be in the paper about the one guy.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Just another crony who can't think for herself.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2010-07-28 15:26, MagicSanta wrote:
Not surprising considering who placed her on the bench. Just wait, the police in Phoenix will ask 500 non Hispanics for their ID's today and one Hispanic and it will be in the paper about the one guy.

500 to 1? I'll take that bet.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You know, the judge actually responded exactly as I think Arizona expected. The basis for her decision was that the state was stepping into territory of the Feds. Now the question is if it is a Federal responsibility what do you do the feds don't show any indication they want to enforce the law? Let's be honest here, the problem is Arizona is carrying a huge burdon compared to every other state when it comes to illegals.

I still think the best idea is for all of them to enter via California, they love illegal immigrants almost as much as they love the homeless population.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Has anyone pondered how the unemployment rate and healthcare costs would be affected if 20 million ( I know they say 11 million ) people who don't belong in our country were shipped back to their own countries and the border was so tight a flea couldn't get through.?

( I guess people are going to hate me for this )
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Why would they hate you?

I know that Arizona hospitals are losing, per them, $50 million a year due to treating illegals, which rightfully they have to do, with no way of getting it back. Will removing that effect healthcare cost? I doubt it. From my experience companies reducing costs go back to more profits and not to the customer. I don't want the border as tight as a flea, I want the workers which are so valuable to our economy to be able to safely come in and do what they do without the stress of being illegal and the threat of legal action against them. On the other side I want those that crossing our border, be then from Ireland, Switzerland, or Mexico, is a crap shoot to be returned and get into line with those who have followed the procedures.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I didn't mean to imply that no-one gets in. If they come in legally, I've got no problem.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yup, be nice huh? Do you know one of the biggest medical issues faced by the illegals is injury and situational issues brought on by the illegal crossing itself? Sad stuff....I'm going to hug an illegal tomorrow.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-07-28 22:03, NicholasD wrote:

Has anyone pondered how the unemployment rate and healthcare costs would be affected if 20 million ( I know they say 11 million ) people who don't belong in our country were shipped back to their own countries and the border was so tight a flea couldn't get through.?

( I guess people are going to hate me for this )

Sure, it's been pondered and studied to death by many different people. And the results (based on what I've seen) are mixed. And IMHO it pretty much seems people will believe what they are inclined to believe on this issue, no matter what the studies show, one way or the other.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
And in recent news ... and not that there is anything wrong with any of this, being the happy capitalist that I am ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/the......657.html

• 83 percent of all U.S. stocks are in the hands of 1 percent of the people.
• 61 percent of Americans "always or usually" live paycheck to paycheck, which was up from 49 percent in 2008 and 43 percent in 2007.
• 66 percent of the income growth between 2001 and 2007 went to the top 1% of all Americans.
• 36 percent of Americans say that they don't contribute anything to retirement savings.
• A staggering 43 percent of Americans have less than $10,000 saved up for retirement.
• 24 percent of American workers say that they have postponed their planned retirement age in the past year.
• Over 1.4 million Americans filed for personal bankruptcy in 2009, which represented a 32 percent increase over 2008.
• Only the top 5 percent of U.S. households have earned enough additional income to match the rise in housing costs since 1975.
• For the first time in U.S. history, banks own a greater share of residential housing net worth in the United States than all individual Americans put together.
• In 1950, the ratio of the average executive's paycheck to the average worker's paycheck was about 30 to 1. Since the year 2000, that ratio has exploded to between 300 to 500 to one.
• As of 2007, the bottom 80 percent of American households held about 7% of the liquid financial assets.
• The bottom 50 percent of income earners in the United States now collectively own less than 1 percent of the nation’s wealth.
• Average Wall Street bonuses for 2009 were up 17 percent when compared with 2008.
• In the United States, the average federal worker now earns 60% MORE than the average worker in the private sector.
• The top 1 percent of U.S. households own nearly twice as much of America's corporate wealth as they did just 15 years ago.
• In America today, the average time needed to find a job has risen to a record 35.2 weeks.
• More than 40 percent of Americans who actually are employed are now working in service jobs, which are often very low paying.
• or the first time in U.S. history, more than 40 million Americans are on food stamps, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture projects that number will go up to 43 million Americans in 2011.
• This is what American workers now must compete against: in China a garment worker makes approximately 86 cents an hour and in Cambodia a garment worker makes approximately 22 cents an hour.
• Approximately 21 percent of all children in the United States are living below the poverty line in 2010 - the highest rate in 20 years.
• Despite the financial crisis, the number of millionaires in the United States rose a whopping 16 percent to 7.8 million in 2009.
• The top 10 percent of Americans now earn around 50 percent of our national income.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Do you think getting to be worth over a million is that difficult any longer? In Silicon Valley I knew lots of people worth, at least on paper, over a million bucks. I've known a lot who lost it all too on paper.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-07-28 23:20, MagicSanta wrote:
Do you think getting to be worth over a million is that difficult any longer? In Silicon Valley I knew lots of people worth, at least on paper, over a million bucks. I've known a lot who lost it all too on paper.

Good question. I do know lots of people (thinking of my American friends here) with a net worth well over $1 million. But I also know of some for whom going out for lunch or dinner in a fancy restaurant is a luxury. I think that is consistent with the idea that the relative size of the middle class may be shrinking.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I believe incomes will be going down because the jobs that a normal joe could work and get paid well are gone. I was worth around a million at one time, not in cash but if you counted property and retirement etc, now I think I'm worth about three dollars. Then again the house is paid for and that is a good thing. I've known two types of millionaires, those that get it handed to them in options and bonuses they really didn't warrant any more than the other workers did. The others really earned it either by pure hard work or with brilliance (some engineers and designers).

I will say this...I've met a number of people who made a lot of money who left those jobs for what they wanted to do and they were always happy even if broke. I've met very few people who took a path purely for the money who were happy (the happy ones seem to be the laziest who had jobs that made a lot with little effort).
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-07-28 16:29, NicholasD wrote:
Just another crony who can't think for herself.

FYI, and for that of others, she was appointed to the federal bench by Clinton but she was recommended to Clinton for the job by Arizona Senator Jon Kyl, a Republican.

So what's this about her being a crony again?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Rino!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unemployment rate (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL