The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Mene-Tekel, let's talk ;) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
I first heard of the MT as a paired r/s deck. Then I found out that the original MT was with l/s. I don't know what a r/s paired deck is being called.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
A note to the history, and to the condition from Whaley's Encyclopedic Dictionary:

"A mechanical deck made up with pairs, one a short card, the other ordinary; the self-shifting deck (obsolescent).
Invented by Burling Hull as a variation on his Svengali Deck but not marketed by him until 1910. First marketed in 1909 by Boston magic dealer W.D. Le Roy with the title "Mene-tekel". That name was coined by LeRoy on a suggestion of his employee, Herman Hanson."
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
But who came up with the idea of using r/s? And is that deck also called Mene Tekel?
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
See:

Hilliard, John Northern: Greater Magic, Carl Waring Jones, Minneapolis, 1947, pp. 438 – 441
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Wow! I am glad I started this thread! Maybe there IS life in the old gal still Smile
Jon Bright
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
30 Posts

Profile of Jon Bright
There is a good routine in the Kaufman era Genii published several years ago.
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Quote:
On 2010-07-26 06:24, Jon Bright wrote:
There is a good routine in the Kaufman era Genii published several years ago.

Please give us a more detailed information ....
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
The term Mene Tekel is sorta generic for "paired duplicates". They could be marked, roughed, or non roughed Mene Tekel decks but I'd still consider them all Mene Tekel decks.

I think they should be called Conradi Decks as he was the first to publish the idea but that may get too confusing. : )
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Jon Bright
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
30 Posts

Profile of Jon Bright
Hi Muecard,

I will search my Genii's and hopefully find it. If memory is correct, it was within the first two years of RK's reign.

- Jon
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your troubles in advance,
Muecard
The_Outlaw
View Profile
New user
Texas
45 Posts

Profile of The_Outlaw
The one thing that I do like about the MT deck is that it only takes 2 decks of cards for me to make two MT decks, as opposed to the whopping number of 26 decks that are needed for me to make 26 complete Svengali decks.

I still prefer the Svengali decks overall, but I guess that I'm partial to the Svengali routine's that I have allready learned.
Oh yeah?! Well...That's like...just your 'opinion' man.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Hugard's "Ency. of Card Tricks" book....has a whole chapter devoted to "Mene-Tekel".

(A Must book for both beginners & sleight-of-hand guys....whole chapters devoted to "key cards","short cards", "slick cards", sleights, gimmicked packs, etc.)
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
I Have the Kranzo's DVD and it's quite good. See you!!!
Friedrich
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Friedrich
Woody Aragon from Spain has a whole book ("Cosas Mias") about his "Mnemonica Siamesa" (only in spanish...).
The "Mnemonica Siamesa" is a close relative to the MT (actually a kind of crossing between a MT deck and a MD) with very interesting possibilities...
If anyone has read that book except me, I'd really like to share ideas and thoughts on it with You!
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Check David Britlands' blog for some cute ideas
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Tommy Wonder had a very nice routine with an MT deck - I believe it was Elizabeth IV but not totally sure. It was on one of his DVDs for L&L. Not sure if it is also in hi Books of Wonder.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Groucho
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Groucho
A bit of background to the name of the deck for some of the history buffs(if it is not already in some of the books) :

If you look up the book of Daniel (Chapter 5) it talks about king of the Babylonians called Belshazzar who did not humble himself before God and hence one night at a banquet an inscription appeared on the wall:

MENE, MENE, TEKEL, PARSIN

Here is what these words mean:

Mene: God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end.
Tekel: You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting.
Peres(the singular of Parsin): Your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.”

That very night Belshazzar, king of the Babylonians, was slain (this is also where the phrase "the writing is on the wall" came from).

So if you are looking for a name to call a deck with paired duplicates with r/s then some suggestions would be the "Peres" deck, "Parsin" deck or even the "Belshazzar" deck.

Groucho
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
435 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Quote:
On 2010-07-18 16:52, Paul wrote:
...............Yes, there are some clever ideas with it. I believe Nathan Kranzo is also working on a project with this type of deck, so perhaps it will once again become popular.

But of course, it's probably always been popular with those that use it. Smile.

Unnoticed? Perhaps because it never remained mass marketed or used as a pitch item like Sven.......

Nathan lectured for IBM Ring 266 (Tyler, Texas) last night....and spent a' lot of time on the Mene Tekel deck.....y'know, it's one of those "things-that-I've always-wanted" but have never bought....well, I bought one last night!! Cool stuff, man!! So many little things that you can do with one!
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Why would you want to make 26 Svengali decks? Where would you carry them all?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Pitch/sell them.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Mene-Tekel, let's talk ;) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL