The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Serendipitous meetings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Panlives, one of our more linguistically gifted members related a beautiful story concerning a chance meeting with the Master Juan Tamariz.

I will ask him to share it with you here. It is an amazing story.

In the meantime...

Do any of you have a story about a completely serendipitous meeting with a magician you would never have expected to meet? Please do share! Smile

Mine was David Copperfield. It was at a Denny's of all places - a place not known for haute cuisine. I was doing some magic for some people in another part of the restaurant and they were having a blast. I left the table and was doing the walkaround thing, and really, it was a strange night because I am usually always hyper aware of my surroundings. This night I wasn't. I approached a table, and I do not know if it was hypnotic blindness, but, I didn't notice David there at first. I start to do my opening spiel and Wham, it hit me!!

It was a blast and I got to take a break while David graciously did some magic for me!! I will never forget it. Smile

Panlives' story is so much cooler though. Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Hi Vlad,

Thank you for the opportunity to re-live this magic moment.

So, here…a tale told from the land of Serendip and cosmic alliances…

Between July 11-20, 2010, the city of Toronto held its annual arts festival, Luminato. The week-end of June 18-21, produced in association with David Ben’s “Magicana,” was billed as, “Masters of Magic: Ever see a cloak of invisibility? Can a stranger see the images in your mind? And how can you rely on the evidence of your senses, when what you are experiencing is literally beyond belief? Three of the world’s master magicians present stage shows that will challenge your view of reality. Spain’s Juan Tamariz, the most respected practitioner of this arcane art, performing one show in Spanish and two in English, boggles the mind with his minimalist and improvisational magic. Charismatic mentalist Max Maven, once described by Orson Welles as “the most original mind in magic,” turns mind-reading into compelling psychological theatre. And Mac King, a humourist with a magical bent, conjures up laughter for all ages. Meanwhile, Bob Sheets, a fourth master of magic, brings his own brand of manic comic showmanship to free street performances throughout the Festival. So wherever you go, you might just see something that can’t possibly be happening – can it?”

My wife and I decided on Tamariz and King, as I had seen Maven before. On the Friday night Maven was performing, we ventured downtown to eat at our favourite Korean bistro. After dinner, we walked past the Theatre and I spontaneously asked my better half if she would like to see a killer “Mentalism” show – the genre is her preference. She eagerly agreed and we bought tickets at the box office – nothing was planned.

Much to the shock of the ticket seller, there were 2 prime seats available, 5th row center. Perfect! We paid, we took our seats a bit early and we waited for the mind games to begin...

Over the next 10 minutes, as the 8 PM opening time nears, a succession of three couples approached us with accusations that we are occupying their seats. We know our tickets are legitimate, as we bought them at the box office. Clearly, something went wrong with lack of synchronization between Ticketmaster’s online booking and the box office database. Each confrontation required the intervention of theatre staff, ushers, floor manager, etc…a real mess.

My wife refused to budge from our great seats. Long story short, through a mix of begging and diplomacy, people swap seats to accommodate the triple overbooking and lo! – a fourth couple was asked if they would be so kind as to help by agreeing to occupy two seats that became vacant immediately adjacent to ours. By this time, Maven was into his sonorous opening monologue, “Once upon a time…” but I could barely hear him due to this final shuffle of bodies and accompanying chatter.

I said to my wife, “this is ridiculous – I want to hear Max Maven from his opening syllable!” I turned to glare to glare at the couple to my right side – the ones who so graciously accommodated everyone by taking the freshly unoccupied seats.

I turned my head to see...Juan Tamariz and a beautiful woman who I later learned was his was his wife, Consuelo (who also performed in his Toronto shows – Tamariz did 2 shows in English and 1 in Spanish over the course of the week-end).

So, for the next 2 hours, I sat literally 3 inches, shoulder-to-shoulder, with Juan Tamariz. It was surreal. He was whispering volubly to Consuelo during the show, which normally would have infuriated me…but on this occasion, it was a bonus, like winning a lottery! (I have functional fluency in Spanish and French.)

At intermission, my wife introduced herself to him and asked if he would sign a playing card for me. Shy by nature, I was shaking like a leaf. It’s Tamariz! And now we are talking with him! I dug into my knap-sack and found a blue-backed 125th anniversary Bicycle deck. My wife grabbed them, pulled the Ace of Clubs and Mr. Tamariz signed it to me, personally, with a Sharpie.

Two hours sitting next to a card-worker I have worshipped for years, an autographed card – and we even chatted and shook hands (for the record, his handshake is STRONG).

Given the confluence of random sequences that led to this experience, I should have bought a lottery ticket that week end! By the way – Mr. Maven was typically smashing.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Sorry - dates should have read, "June 11-20" and "June 18-20."
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
As a big Paul Gordon fan, I thought you'd guys would like this story which I read on Charlie Rivers' Facebook page. (Charlie is a cardguy out of Ohio.)

"You aint gonna believe this: About 12 years ago I was visiting Altos De Chavon. My girl and I went for a beer in a local bar. In the corner was a guy with a deck of cards entertaining a bunch of locals. Jeez, he was good...and funny. I "upped" to him and chatted. I told him I loved card magic and my hero was Paul Gordon. He paused and said that HE was Paul Gordon. I nearly soiled myself!!! We chatted for a while. Really nice guy. What a treasured experience...and how darned odd to meet in such a remote place! Spooky!"

What a nice story. JP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Serendipitous meetings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL