The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Who feels like a fraud? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Is anyone else here starting to feel like fraud when it comes to buying effects and not inventing your own? I'm very proud of the twists I put on tricks, how I make them my own and my performance skills but I have this nagging thing in the back of my mind.

Anyone else feel like this or have any thoughts?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's not really fraud. If it bothers you, then you need to slow down on your buying and figure out ways of making your tricks "you." Once you have started that, then you will begin to make up your own material.

Right now, you are at the stage of acquisition. Your next stage is modification. Then you will go on to creation.

Here's how creation works.

Figure out the ending. Then figure out the starting point. Then figure out how to get from the starting point to the ending.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
You're bang on Bill and have summed up the stages exactly. My buying is actually quite reserved, as I only buy effects I think I can use in my act, though occasionally I get burned and find an effect is unusable.

I'm hovering between the acquisition, modification and creation stages but definitely feel the need to be more creative. Some effects I've incorporated straight out of the packet so to speak, others I've modified or added my own twists and elements to, including new gimmicks.

Acquisition, modification, creation. That's brilliant Bill and I think it's what I needed to hear, that there's a path people go through and hopefully I'm already on it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I still acquire. I don't know why. I guess it's because some of the toys are so nifty.

Fortunately, one or two of the ones that were the most intriguing also apparently were a bit more difficult to make than the originators thought they would be, so they haven't appeared on the market. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Agree with that too, I still get the same buzz buying magic that I did when I was a kid and I can see how it can become an addiction. Luckily I've learned not to search for the holy grail, which is why I'm so much more selective now. I also see acquisition as research and education, even the effects I can't use.

I've already started coming up with effects, then working out how to get there and my goal is to come up with something I can use everyday, that fits my style perfectly and gets the same reactions I receive from the effects I already perform.

I'd feel such pride knowing something was my creation but I guess the downside will be that everyone will still assume it was a purchase and it'll quickly get ripped off. But it'll be nice to have those things to worry about Smile
domf
View Profile
New user
Canada
67 Posts

Profile of domf
"Right now, you are at the stage of acquisition. Your next stage is modification. Then you will go on to creation."

Thanks for these thoughts Mr. Palmer, it reassures me! I was a little bit frustrated having difficulties conceptualizing effects. I guess, it will come eventually.

Best
Dom
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
I recently found myself unable to acquire any new goods so I was forced to enter a mode of creation If I wanted any new tricks at all. I never thought being on a tight budget would be such a good thing!
Weird is part of the job.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
On 2010-08-01 20:42, Alex Rapattoni wrote:
I recently found myself unable to acquire any new goods so I was forced to enter a mode of creation If I wanted any new tricks at all. I never thought being on a tight budget would be such a good thing!

Cool! Did you invent new effects or replicate existing ones?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Kinda difficult to keep doing Magic if you easily feel like a fraud yah? Smile

Anyway, I've quit doing Magic, concentrating on "real" demonstrations of Mental ability. Hypnosis, readings, stunts etc..

Yet I STILL buy some Magic stuff (sometimes), it's just ingrained by now I guess.

I think however, more on topic, the WHOLE FUN is in making it fit you! Unless you are an impersonator that is... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Graham Ahn
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Graham Ahn
Houdini felt like a fraud and he passed through all the stages of performance art.
(All the puns in that sentence were intentional.)

If the people are entertained or you encouraged someone to look at the world through a creative or romantic filter, you have done something useful, earned your fee, and you are not a fraud.

Graham
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Havens- this kind of honesty encourages me. An upcoming performance helps too
RobAnderson
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of RobAnderson
Plenty of people do this; even DC acquired help with all of his big illusions. Just make it your own and put your own touches on it Smile
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
On 2010-12-26 13:29, Magic1 wrote:
Havens- this kind of honesty encourages me. An upcoming performance helps too

Thanks Magic1. Have been speaking to a few other magicians and it seems they're also moving to creating their own effects. Most are new twists on existing concepts but it's inspiring to hear others are thinking of creating. I've so far come up with loads of ideas, I just need to find one that is practical to make without Penn and Teller's budget. I'm getting there and am sure it'll be incredibly rewarding to have invented something truly great.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
You sound like you're on the right track.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I see no point in feeling like a fraud most people don't create they just modify. Some of the best performers don't create at all.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
On 2011-02-05 22:22, mindguru wrote:
I see no point in feeling like a fraud most people don't create they just modify. Some of the best performers don't create at all.

I don't feel like a fraud quite so much any more as I've worked hard on my set and making it original. I think my initial thoughts came from playing mostly stand-up comedy clubs where, despite magic actually making things harder for yourself, people see it as easier and the respect from promoters and other acts is harder to be earned. I think I'm doing that though.

I still have then need to create though and am glad I have this.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
It's all about giving you audience the best product you can.
Wes
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2010-08-01 20:42, Alex Rapattoni wrote:

In the same vein I was blessed with the inability to happily part with a dollar leading to many delights.
You know why don't act naive.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
I have come up with some great ideas since I started this thread but most are are impractical due to budget. One idea though, while it won't be easy, I think is killer. It's incredibly simple and almost self-working but it's certainly original and quirky enough that no one else is doing it. The plans are drawn and the ideas are solid - now comes the hard part, making it.
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Havens,

I went through the same process. I started reading magic books from the library. Then I started buying magic "tricks". I then combined my knowledge, with my budget (or lack thereof) and let my imagination run wild. I have created a few effects I presently use, and let me tell you, going from concept to performance in a show is fantastic. Keep up the good work!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Who feels like a fraud? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL