The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Aronson - Story Deck Harmony (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Giles
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Giles
This is a routine I have been working on for some time, and I am nearly satisfied with.

The first part is a Storydeck routine with the Aronson stack. It is based on Paul Thomey’s excellent “Legend of Southside Johnny”. Some of the lines and many of the associations are the same. There is then a follow-on routine which was initially sparked by some creative discussions on the Café and inspired by Lennart Green’s Fractal Harmony. It slowly morphed into something that seems to work.

I had it filmed as I wanted to be able to observe it more objectively, and make some final tweaks. I thought I would share it and see what people think, even though it is not a polished performance (I had only one take!). There are a couple of awkward moments (both with patter and handling) and I’m afraid the video quality is poor. It is also quite long (12 minutes in total) so I appreciate anyone taking the time to view it to the end…

The videos are not available for public viewing!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdyKmRUVxU

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y04n4RRk0Wg

I would gratefully welcome any constructive observations and feedback.

Many thanks

Giles
Giles
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Giles
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of ricardo carpenter
First : bravo, it's very clever and the text is beautiful.
Second : did you test it on laymen?
Third : Maybe, it could be a good idea (how? I don't know) to permit some interaction with the spectator: he can have some choices...
Four : I finded the story before the 3 jacks, 3 tens (good moment) too long, then the poker sequence was different and it was good, a-tempo mood.
Five: five
Six : May be the routine need some "accelerations"
Seven : again first: bravo and go on.
EdgarWilde
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of EdgarWilde
Great stuff - it won't need a lot of polishing: it's ready to go
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Thought it was excellent... Really liked the ending of dealing the poker hands.
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Well done Giles that was fun.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1231 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Congratulations. VERY nice !
nlokers
View Profile
Regular user
Grand Rapids, MI
143 Posts

Profile of nlokers
I was thinking the other day about trying to do something like this, only to allow a spec to make decisions for the main character through out. Depending on what they choose the story would change to fit that decision. I really dig how you worked the poker deals it.
Giles
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Giles
Many thanks for your posts and for those who have replied by pm...

As I mentioned, the Storydeck part is heavily inspired by Paul Thomey's routine. It was his idea to incorporate the 'Poker Deal' into the Story. I included this only because the 'Harmony' routine follows directly on from this and it didn't make much sense to include only the second part in isolation.

In the course of the overall routine (it is for formal close up), I begin with a deck in NDO and talk about the history and mythological aspects of playing cards. I intimate that we will return to this topic and then talk about the evolution of magic. I have the deck legitimately and thoroughly shuffled. I stack the deck during the course of a couple of routines as we explore some of the 'Magical Archetypes'. The cards are shuffled throughout the set and I make a big thing of it.

Then I introduce the concept of creating a story using the cards. I have the cards (genuinely) riffle shuffled again, and unshuffle the deck as I 'prepare and familiarise' myself with this random order! It is then that I begin as in the video. In actual performance, I present it in a style somewhat betwixt Eugene and Ammar (I figured this wouldn't translate too well on video and for magicians!!!) and gradually increase the tempo...

Thanks to the positive feedback and constructive criticism here on the Café, I have been trying the 'Harmony' routine out. I have to say, the reactions I have received so far have been nothing short of incredible.

Many thanks,

Giles
Piqsirpoq
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
117 Posts

Profile of Piqsirpoq
Beautiful, beautiful text, very atmospheric and professional stuff. For the first part I'd suggest that one might incorporate some blind shuffle work (one or two shuffles), for example before the poker deal, to accompany the cuts. Optimally, the request for a shuffle would be included in the patter rhymes so as to keep the flow.
Giles
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Giles
Thanks for everybody who has taken the time to watch the clips and respond. I have taken all the feedback on board and made the appropriate changes.

I have now removed the clips from the website.

Thanks again,

Giles
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
191 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2010-10-02 05:48, Giles wrote:
I have now removed the clips from the website.
Giles

That's a shame.
As a rebbe once told me, never late is better!
joemcdull
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of joemcdull
I reach this thread too late!
greydonthemagician
View Profile
Regular user
London, Ontario
149 Posts

Profile of greydonthemagician
Me too!
MagicLive! 2015 Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Aronson - Story Deck Harmony (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL