The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi from New Zealand! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Hi,
It's about time I introduced myself, if only to answer some questions from another thread here.

I became a professional performer in the UK in 1991 with assistance from the Prince Charles Youth Business Trust.

Back then, I did stand-up comedy, ran and MC'd a comedy night in Birmingham and only performed magic, mentalism and memory feats when I ran out of material!

During this time as a performer, I also regularly attended Anthony Owen's/John Lenahan's Monday Night Magic in London and met and worked alongside some great people, now mostly household names (at least in the UK.)

Between 94-98 a few things really ignited my interest in the area of Hypnosis: I met Hugh Lennon and Hypnodog at the Edinburgh Festival. I bought and read Paul McKenna's first book, Ormond's Encyclopedia and William Hewitt's "Hypnosis for Beginners" and hypnotised my mother-in-law and a good friend (a comedian.)

Unable to find an affordable stage course, I trained as a therapist and kept the comedy/magic and hypnosis separate until just a few years ago when, having moved to New Zealand in 2000, I "accidentally" hypnotised a volunteer on stage with an instant induction during a mentalism effect.
I then started out doing Street Hypnosis, Impromptu Hypnosis on TV and Radio (in New Zealand) and soon after Stage Hypnosis and mentalism combined (attracting the attention of Ellusionist.)

I'm now a full-time professional Hypnotist.

I am regularly engaged as a stage hypnotist but also as a roving hypnotist and yes, I always add some mentalism into the mix. I only do unpaid Street Hypnosis to publicise upcoming shows and occasionally for giggles.

I also do workshops in time management, project management, motivation, workplace conflict and also have a "clinic" where I see therapy clients and train therapists and other hypnotists here in NZ.

I am very lucky to have had as friends, trainers and mentors many excellent hypnotists and have received training and guidance in one form or another over the years from (notably) Jon Chase, Sean Michael Andrews and the late Gil Boyne.

I've found that being too influenced by what other performers do to be largely detrimentary to my own performance, so, a long-time "on and off" lurker here, to be perfectly honest, I only joined officially after being encouraged by Chris Wasshuber of Lybrary to "stake a claim" in my area of original "pseudo-influence" mentalism effects.
I thought it might be something many others here did too, but although pioneering, I'm discovering it's not really for everyone.

For more info. Google me Smile

Reg Blackwood, The Quicknotist
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Reg,

- Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi from New Zealand! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL