The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Dallas Street Vendors in Colon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
I had a couple magician friends on Detroit's East side tell me they are hearing rumors that Colon/Abbotts/Fab/Bordner/Fisher (however it is being said) is attacking the vendors on Dallas street. This is a flat out lie.

We only have an issue with one magic shop (from the East Detroit suburban area and it is not Wunderground) who sets up shop under a garage sale permit. Last year they brought display cases and were trying to take business from the dealers who have been invited and/or have paid to attend.

A city cannot single out one company from these permits but a city also cannot tolerate a retail store operating in a residential area with no insurance or retail license. I am asking this shop to NOT abuse the Dallas street situation this year. This is an all or nothing deal, there is a proposal on the table to raise the price for garage sales to $200 per day during magic week if this company continues to abuse the system.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
This is absolutely true. I was at the Colon Village meeting and I can assure you what Chuck is telling you is right on the money. Setting up a shop with glass cases and a shop in someone's yard is wrong. Period. I have no problem with folks selling used wares and items out of their car. Hank Moorehouse and I had this conversation a few months ago and we realize this creates some of the atmosphere during magic week but setting up a roving retail business is taking it to the extreme and won't be tolerated.

Abbott's and FAB pay taxes, give back to the community etc...all year long - and for a vendor to come in with this kind of operation is totally unethical.

We are NOT trying to put the small guy out of business!
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
YES, and that shop is ABC Magic out of Mt. Clemens Michigan. He sets up and what he sells are NEW Products and pays little for his space. He is not good to deal with and in my book he is a SNAKE and will take whatever he can from you and steal any Magic Shows that he can. He has done much harm to me and several others that I know of.

Please DO NOT buy products from this Magic Shop. DO NOT Support UN-Ethical People who are only out for themselves and no one else.

RJ
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

I guess I have been blessed because I can honestly say I have not had any bad experiences at any of the Michigan (or Ohio) magic shops including ABC. I always felt Dave to be fair with me.

I only object only to this practice of setting up a retail shop and masquerading it as a garage sale. If you want to sell magic in Colon, buy or rent a shop and do it the right way.

Yes, there is a waiting list for the Abbott dealers room but its because we want to avoid a bunch of dealers selling the same things.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Quote:
Peddling of Magic - This too can be stopped with the co-operation of guests and also by the city council. Are we out of order in restricting the sale of Magic to ourselves. We work hard demonstrating and we bear the expense of promoting the Get-Together. In all this, we are not taking exception to Magicians swapping or making deals between themselves..... Percy Abbott 1950

Has it been toned down this year? I think so (IMO).
http://www.colonmi.com/garagesale.jpg

Here's a closeup from 2009 in case anyone thinks this is someone selling used magic out of their car and we are out to get the "little guy".
http://www.colonmi.com/images/mw09/images/zzz.jpg
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
I attended the convention this year for a day (Friday August 6th 2010) and had a good time networking and socializing. I was unfortunately disappointed in the Friday events particularly the Friday night show.

(I'd expand on the poor choice of a weatherman channeling the spirit of a hooker but I digress)

One of the highlights of Friday were all the vendors in both the school AND the street vendors. Abbott's is about the GET-TOGETHER which includes all sorts of vendors. I would think the organizers would encourage more vendors to promote the variety even if there are similar products....that's part of the fun is exploring the variety.

There were actually quite a few street vendors this year with large displays...not just ABC. Does it really matter if someone showcases their product behind a display case vs. spreading out all their wares on a series of tables.

(not really)

If there is a waiting list for vendors, why not expand the venue?
It would be great to see a giant circus tent full of vendors setup across from the high school. I'm sure if the venue location and the price is right, both the current entrenched vendors and the street vendors would be successful.

The convention is missing a solid opportunity to encourage more interaction and commerce than what you usually find at the Legion. People go to Abbott's for the atmosphere that is generated...
...and hopefully not for weathermen channeling dead hookers with smartphones.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Hi thanks for the comments and I do know where you are coming from. I also enjoy the Dallas Street Venders, and I don't want it to close. However I am also a member of the Colon Chamber of Commerce (as is Rick Fisher and Greg Bordner) and in our opinion ABC is not bringing anything to the table in Colon.

ABC is a retail shop passing itself off as a garage sale, it is unsafe and I believe illegal to do this because of insurance.

Abbotts pays a ton of money to fund the Get Together with advertisements, magic acts, and insurance. ABC is paying a $25 garage sale fee for the week. They are more than welcome to rent a place in the city and pay insurance like everyone else (its actually not that expensive and space is available on main street).

Abbotts has an annual event for anyone (including dealers) who only want to spend $25 selling magic, its called the Abbott Flea Market and Auction and takes place in the Spring every year, great bargains are available and I encourage all to attend to buy and or sell magic. Its free to attend ($25 to sell) and lots of fun. You will get better bargains here than anywhere else imo http://www.magicgettogether.com/aboutfleamarket.html

Hank Moorehouse takes great pride in creating a dealers room that is both unique and exciting by bringing fresh faces with fresh products along with a nucleus of repeat dealers. ABC does not sell or make anything unique which is why they are not invited into the dealers room. If you want to buy a product why not buy it from the dealers who are supporting the Get Together and Colon rather than someone who sets up in a tent. It is almost a certainty that anything they are selling could be purchased at the legit dealers in town for the same price.

If something is wrong with the product do you think they will stand behind it? When was the last time you returned something to a garage sale?

All the other dealers on Dallas street have unique/clever items, or are selling used magic or modified magic which really adds to the atmosphere. Several own their own shops but they are treating the area with respect and only selling select items, most of them unique. Also T shirt sales and items only loosely associated with magic are for sale which makes it a fun garage sale atmosphere similar to the circus tent you mentioned. No Tax license, no work mans comp, no unemployment insurance, no liability insurance, no anti-discrimination disclosures, etc. that's what differentiates a garage sale from a retail store.

And finally (sorry for being so long winded), this thread would not even exist if the good folks at ABC weren't telling people that Abbotts/Fab/Colon is out to get the little dealers on Dallas street. Check http://www.magicgettogether.com/galleryhtml/2010gallery.html and you will find many pictures of the Dallas Street dealers there. Check out pics from the years before as well (lots more at http://www.colonmi.com, I'm the one who takes them). Its part of the event and contributes to the atmosphere and brings people to town and its my job to promote that. No one in Colon wants to put these people out of business and why would we. I don't see any pics of Dallas street vendors on ABC's site so to ABC I say who is supporting Dallas street vendors and who really could not care less about Dallas street vendors.

If Dallas street closes it will be because of ABC Magic abusing the garage sale permit and nothing else. I already put my two cents in and said that they toned it down a bit which is why I posted the pics with the two displays. Others may disagree. However it is not my decision and never was. It's in the hands of the city right now.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the Friday show, most of the feedback we have received has been outstanding but its good to get constructive criticism, keeps people from becoming complacent. Abbotts is trying to keep things fresh and lively for these shows and will continue to make this event better and better each year.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
It is customary for dealers to take out temporary business licenses, tax collection permits, etc. for the city or town in which they are selling. The paperwork for all of this is usually taken care of as part of the dealer registration fee. ABC is operating as an illegal business. If a business tried that in Las Vegas, LA, or New York, the guys would be shut down and most likely have inventory impounded. Colon needs to enforce local and state laws. These guys are not the only ones wanting to bring in mobile magic shops. Now is the time to prepare for the mobile vendors. There is always some greedy SOB who ruins it for all. I would only ask that you not play the "safety card" in this situation. Safety is the least of the problems in this situation.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
Good discussion. I'm not affiliated with ABC although what they had on Dallas Street seemed similar to Tony Gerad's display. Tony still has a magic shop in Kalamazoo right? I don't see the difference other than two glass display cases being brought in.

He didn't have display cases but that's just better marketing and product positioning.

I spent a few hundred bucks at the Abbott's Dealers room and only $5 at the Dallas Street section which was driven by the products available. It all boils down to healthy commerce and competition.

From an entrepreneurship perspective, all the Dallas vendors including ABC are finding a cost effective way to provide products potential consumers want to buy. If the City of Colon objects, then feel free to change the rules.

(Apple change the rules for the music industry with iTunes...surely a convention could do something innovative to include all the dealers...again it benefits the customer.)

I still think it'd be great to see a lot more vendors...it would keep me going and provide more value for the registration.

I heard the Saturday night show was great...looks like I just had the wrong night.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

It's a tough call with the vendors, you want to keep things festive with a positive atmosphere so I hope this can be resolved without bringing in the lawyers.

Heres a pic of Tonys display, http://www.magicgettogether.com/galleryh......1%29.jpg

Tony will sell a gimmick coin and such but he adds his own routines and makes a unique package through the use of spiral bound notebooks. He also sells at the Flea Market annually, see pics below.

http://www.magicgettogether.com/images/g......0910.jpg
http://www.magicgettogether.com/images/g......0908.jpg

In my opinion Tony is selling unique items and giving something back to Colon, but that is only my opinion.

Problem is if the law is enforced with ABC, it will have to be enforced with all vendors, the solution the city is looking at is to raise the fee from $25 per week to $200 per day which would probably kill all activity on Dallas street. If ABC shows up at $200 per day they will continue to raise it till they don't.

Most people I talk with agree with Amakar that there was no real drop off from ABC which would be a death sentence for Dallas street. ABC even said the only reason they did not bring the glass cases is that they broke on the way home last year.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
What are the vendor fees for a table within Abbott's?
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

I remember Hank making an announcement a year or two ago, telling people why not to buy at the Dallas street vendors and he mentioned the amount vendors paid but I wasn't really paying attention. When he made the announcement I was holding a rubber duck mentalism trick I had just bought on Dallas street(a Dan Ford prop and it stuck out of the bag) so the only thing on my mind was how to get out of the auditorium without him seeing me with it.

I would guess several hundred dollars, performers who are dealers probably negotiate it into their contracts.
dicedealer007
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of dicedealer007
Don't vendors pay the home owners to set up on Dallas street? Isn't that a way to give money to the community? Also do you know for a fact that ABC isn't insured? They could list the event location as a secondary insured. And since they are a retail store don't they pay taxes?

I remember reading years ago(like 20 years ago) in a Genii magazine where Abbott's said that people who are selling used magic out of their trunks are ruining the convention. Now it seems like that's ok because now there is a new common enemy.

I admit have shopped with them on Dallas street because they actually have NEW product. And let's face it, the dealer room really doesn't change that much from year to year. A majority is the same people with the same stuff that they have been selling year after year.

I know this sounds like I am a ABC fan boy but the truth of the matter is what I see is a bunch of politics at play here. And you can feel it in the air there politics, politics, politics. If anything is gonna kill the get together it's gonna be that.

This is all just my 2 cents but instead of worrying about Dallas street vendors they should just worry about putting on a fun convention that everyone wants to go to. Dallas street is one of the great parts of the convention. It used to be a lot more packed on that street during the convention. But attendance is down from years past and I doubt the Dallas street vendors are to blame for that.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Get Together.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
532 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Thanks for buying one of my tricks. The duck trick was my best seller last year along with my saltshaker that I made.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

I actually think I average a trick a year from you Dan, I think the year before was the ring penetration with the black box trick, very ingenious.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
532 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
You are right.... Stop by this year and see a couple of new items I came up with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Dallas Street Vendors in Colon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL