The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring Scape by Fantasma Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Hearth Song Catalog has been selling it on line for 14.99 recently. Their shipping is quick and they have great Customer Service.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
You might call them.
From EBay there is a chance this was a good ripoff version.
My set looked exactly like the video, wide lace, strong gimmick, not stiff at all.
You may also (as above the thread) want to replace all the parts your self and upgrade the look.

Magically, Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
magidude68
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of magidude68
Thanks for all your input guys, they are definitely thinner than the demo ones and like I say, anti gravity is impossible I can hardly get the youknowwhat to move at all.
Anyway, I shall now build a bigger, better,improved one mwahahahaa.
Thanks nonvpro Smile
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
I wonder if their supplier changed. I have a set from amazon and there very soft and I have no problem with them.
hth
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
magidude68
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of magidude68
Either that or their qc has taken a dive...
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The set I saw in the local shop was just fine, don't know how long he'd had it, but looked as usual, maybe there is a copied version out there? Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
249 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On 2011-03-09 16:59, magidude68 wrote:
Hi all, this is my very first post and I hate to say it but it is not a happy one..
My fantasma ring escape arrived last week from amazon u.s. (i live in u.k. so had to wait a while) and I couldn`t wait to open it up and have a look.
So the laces I have are 9mm wide which look a lot thinner than the one on the dvd, I can`t swing the ring and the gravity move is impossible. because...well i`m sure you can guess.
I emailed fantasma telling them this and have had no reply.Thanks a lot.
Anyone else had a duff pair? The ones on the dvd look so soft whereas mine are stiff.
Sorry about the negative post but i`m sooo annoyed and you guys are all I got.
Cheers.

I'm glad you posted this as I also purchased a set recently from Amazon. The lace is stiff and coarse. The m****t will not hold the ring in all of the more demanding moves. I'm guessing the m****t is weaker than in the past models. The set is pretty much useless. Considering the price Amazon had it for it's not worth the postage or time to mail it back. One might argue the dvd was worth getting, but almost all the moves are pretty self explanatory.

I would suggest anyone looking to buy this wait until their quality control is resolved.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1540 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
If one were to buy the original from fantasma I am betting it would work just fine.

The secret to the swing move is to move your hans a few inches closer to the ring. This shortens the circle that the ring travels in which equals less centrifugal force. Also, it's better to swing the ring completely around rather than stopping short. The ring has a better chance to dislodge if it doesn't complete it's arc and drops.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Jeff O
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Jeff O
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Are the drawbacks to the marketed version of Ring Scape by Fantasma Magic mentioned here similar when using the Tenyo set?
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2710 Posts

Profile of John Long
I would like some opinions on this.

It seems to me that some of the moves, such as the ring just being tossed on are too obvious, and scream m****t, somewhat like complaints I've heard about showing all the cards of a Svengali deck to be the same. The Fantasm demo mixes in some standard ring and rope methods, which I think would be critical to sell the overall routine.

For myself, many of the effects could be done with non-gimmicked props, so I wonder if the prop is worth the risk of noise or worse (getting too close to certain materials).

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2404 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I think you would have to be careful how often you used the purely the properties of the Gimmick. I think it could be useful for the "canceling out methods" concept. But agree that many moves in row that could only be done with the gimmick looks suspicious.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you keep the routine simple and avoid any that scream the method you'll be fine (with the Fantasma one).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1540 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The drop move is obvious because we know the secret. It is not like showing the cards all the same in a Svengali deck. The ring just appears on the rope through a series of even more impossible moves and plays well to laymen. The gimmick is strong and allows one to swing the ring and handle it very casually with just a bit of practice and finesse. The rope looks like it is on the ring and it just isn't questioned, especially because the swinging of the ring sells the fact that it is "on" the string quite nicely.

If one were able to do the drop move for real, it would look just like it does when done with routine. Just keep everything moving, the ring and the routine and it all works quite nicely. The fantasma routine builds up the difficulty well, with the drop move followed by an in the spectators hands release, then a spinning link followed by a release from a knot, which can be very fairly tied, as it is an actual knot.

I got mine for $15 bucks online. I've done the routine, and people really like it. Well worth the money, IMHO, your mileage may vary...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
micromega123
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of micromega123
I realize that this is an old thread, but I wanted to comment on a question that John had. I also have a concern about the 'drop on' method with this effect. All of the other moves look good, but I really think that the drop move tips the method. During one of my performances of this effect I heard someone suggest the method right after I did the 'drop' move, so I no longer perform this portion of the routine. I suppose my question is whether it was obvious based on the move or whether they were just blurting out explanations in an attempt to make sense of what they just saw?
DavidAusten
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of DavidAusten
Quote:
On 2012-04-22 21:15, micromega123 wrote:
I realize that this is an old thread, but I wanted to comment on a question that John had. I also have a concern about the 'drop on' method with this effect. All of the other moves look good, but I really think that the drop move tips the method. During one of my performances of this effect I heard someone suggest the method right after I did the 'drop' move, so I no longer perform this portion of the routine. I suppose my question is whether it was obvious based on the move or whether they were just blurting out explanations in an attempt to make sense of what they just saw?
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I use to own and perform ring scape on a regular basis,then I saw Greg Wilsons Ring leader and took the plunge.
Man what a routine,it kills and there is no gimmicks .
I think it is way ahead of ring scape because it is totally examinable at all stages.
If you like ring scape you'll love ring leader.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
UF Grants Swing-a-Ring is essentially the same thing. The routine it comes with is a little different. If you combine some of the ideas Greg presents and this one you have a HECK of a routine that really increases in impossibility.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
To me ,the bad moment with ring scape is after the drop move you have to keep it swinging
so as not to give away the method.
I think the magic moment is lost if the spectator does not get a stiil moment or two to proove that the penetration
has taken place,that is the reason for giving it away to a young magician and learning a complete slight of hand method.
I felt the same about my chop cup,it was fun for a while,but all I was doing was putting off learning a great cups and balls routine.
Now days the chop cup gathers dust while the Sherwoods get all the glory

If the hands do all the talking,Thats one more gimmick sent a walking.lol. Me thinks that's a good thing.

To each their own. One man's trash is another man's treasure
Jon
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Magicians' guilt plays a big part here. As for keeping the ring moving, that is recommended for virtually ALL the moves on the DVD. You don’t have to be overt about it; just build the routine that way. And with regard to the Drop On effect being too obvious, is it really much different than Dan Garrett's (completely ungimmicked) Faustus Ring move? That's been slaying audiences for decades. If they believe that then they'll believe the Drop On move.

Thanks!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring Scape by Fantasma Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL