The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Himber rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
861 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
I am interested in gettng a quality Himber, what would you reccomend? Cheers.

Sean
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
http://www.stevensmagic.com and search

Get the video too
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Wouldn't be a personal reason for selling a video, would it?

Seriously, Pete's idea on the Stevens' video is just beautiful! I've used it, Pete...it's great!
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Stevens used to sell a signet Himber ring that was absolutely beautiful, and sold for around $900. He can't get them any more and I could kick myself for not getting one when they were available.

I hesitated only because the routine I developed, which I think would have been killer, required the use of two Himber rings, and I didn't want to shell out $1800 for the effect. Now I wish I had as I've never seen a Himber Ring that was so well-made and where the "work" was so impossible to detect. Smile

Anyone have a recommendation for a precision-made, high-end Himber ring?

Larry D.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Rickmagic1, sir...you have good taste. Yes, that little idea is the topper... and it costs NOTHING...
Smile
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
I really like the effect of rings linking together but, don't you think the audience would figure out that your ring is gimmicked in some way. I would love to do this routine but, that fact that the they could think that the magicians ring could be gimmicked, is why i never got it.

What do you think about it?

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Brad, the classic presentation avoids that possibility because it appears that you link three borrowed rings and the audience doesn't even know that your ring is in play. It's workable, though, only when performing for a big group of people.

A weakness of linking a borrowed ring to yours is exactly as you state...the audience has to conclude that your ring is gimmicked. I overcame that problem by developing a routine that uses two Himber rings (it's not obvious how that overcomes the problem unless you know exactly what my routine is), but I haven't performed it because I missed out on the only opportunity to buy a Himber ring that I really liked -- the one that Stevens used to sell, as I mentioned in my posting above.

Nobody answered by question so I thought I'd give it a try again -- does anyone have a recommendation for a precision-made, high-end Himber ring, preferably signet-style?

Regards, Larry D.
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
Larry, I would suggest going to a jewler. From what I understand, there are rings especially made (Himber) for people with arthritis. It enables the arthritic person to easily, and painlessly, take the ring off.
Take into consideration that you want your ring to look like an average ring in order not to arouse any suspicion of a switch. If you have a decent size audience you will more than likely have somebody in the audience with a ring that looks like yours.

Brad,

If you can get a tape somewhere of Bruce Cervon performing his borrowed linking finger rings it would be well worth your effort.

Charles Spector Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Thanks Charles, I've heard of arthritic rings, but totally forgot about their connection to magic. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

Larry D.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sorry, the Arthritic Ring is not going to do it... it expands but does not open.

The Himber Ring, actually designed and invented by Persi Diaconis, when he worked for Himber, was created totally for the effect. The first rings were made by NY Jeweler Willy Schneider to Diaconis' design.

I doubt if Cervon would let ANYONE tape his routine. It is by far the best I have ever seen.

He is using something of Al Koran's that is totally a secret, one that Koran taught me before he died, but since I wasn't doing the routine I gave it to Cervon... and he more than does it justice. Even fools me with his impeccable handling.

The second best I have seen is Nick Lewin's routine with five rings.

Kreskin did it for the University of California in Berkeley one night (I happened to be there) and got TWO STANDINGN OVATIONS doing it, and he did it poorly by magician's standards, but he SOLD IT SOLD IT SOLD IT.

XOXXOOXO
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Pete, where does Cervon live and where can I get truth serum?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hollywood Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

ROFLMAO, but I said truth serum, not botox.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Larry,

You're going to Hollywood, in search of...the truth? Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Curtis, are you suggesting that it would be easier to find Amelia Earhart? Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
She's in Oakland with the Raiders. Smile
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
I actually met a magician in Georgia once who had Koran's orginal instructions for his Himber ring routine!

I had no idea it was so outstanding until 7 years later. I was just a kid buying a Himber ring from a stand in a mall and I asked the guy what he thought the best routine was.

He started "jabber-ring" about all of these, then he mentioned Al Koran and my ears perked. I told him all I had read about him and he took meinside the stand and unlocked a filing cabinet. He took out some old papers and explained to me how he had won them at an auction. HE showed me the whole routine and I was completely baffled with what he could do with that piece of ****/plastic. He showed me how to do the first part of the routine, but I forgot a few days later.

If I had known at all how great and rare that routine was I would have really listened.

And for the life of me I can't remember the guy's name. He said he performed on stage professonally. He was really quite nice and gave me the Himber ring free.

Well, I suppose I should stop Jabber - Ring. Just thought I'd share.

Jakks
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Roy Roth has a nice looking engagement himber ring on his website. It appears that it is crafted by their London Jewler to their specifications.

Check it out at:
http://www.rarmagic.com/online/

Michael
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
http://www.stevensmagic.com sells a neat one too.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Himber rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL