The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Difference between a Gimmick and a Gaff? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8084 Posts

Profile of funsway
With the revival of this thread I have reviewed many documents using the terms and the valued opinions offer above, and ...

more confusion or finding no reason to change what I was taught many decades ago.

an EXP [ looks like a coin and acts like a coin, so it is not a Feke. It is gaffed to conceal another coin. There is no gimmick involved.

A folding coin is similar in not being a Feke, but is gimmicked rather than gaffed. My steel Morgan is a fake coin.

A Feke does not have to be seen or resemble anything else, though some are. A Palmo is a Feke but never seen or suspected.
It is not gaffed or gimmicked - it is exactly what it is.

I sometimes use a "Flash Feke" to give the illusion of holding a coin when I do not. (An enhanced POV or no coin in play at all)
It is not seen and can be in many forms such as a bit of foil on by thumb nail. One might say my thumb is now gaffed.

Consider an Okito Box in combination with a rattle device (gimmick). The Box might be considered a gaff as it is balanced in a way not known to the audience.
When I shake the Box using the rattle gimmick to give the impression of it holding a coin it becomes a Feke even though it has not changed in any physical manner.

Others might not agree, which only means I must make no assumption when describing tricks and be very specific

For me the distinction is important in the producing of a magic effect - what the audience sees and remembers.
The key is that they do not know of or suspect that ANY of these are employed. If they do you have failed as a magician. (opinion)

Yes, there are popular tricks in which a gimmick is revealed to mask the real gaff or sleight. I do not like such presentations but appreciate than many do.

It is a bit sad that magicians find confusion of learning their art when the focus should be creating an effective illusion by any means or name - even a wrong one.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
722 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, danaruns wrote:
My grammar standards are much lower. I'd be happy if people could just learn to use their/there/they're, to/too, and your/you're correctly. Beyond that, call your props whatever you want. So long as I understand what you're talking about, I have no problem with what term you use.

in that case, I'll continue to call Walter Gibson the ghost writer of the CCIM.

Oh lord, back to humping my leg again, are you? Shoo!

And for someone so pedantic about proper terms, I'd think you'd know the difference between grammar and libel.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Difference between a Gimmick and a Gaff? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL