The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Splash Bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
I'm am interested in adding the splash bottle production into my act. I know the workings of the effect and I would like to know if it is affected by major angle problems?

Im hoping to use it in the street where I will have a 360 degree audience.

Thanks,
Matthew Smile
Smile Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5369 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Splash Bottle is fairly angle free. Bad angles are well covered. However, you do need to wear a jacket and if the bottle being produced is over large it will make a bulge in the coat which may or may not be visible depending on the hang of your jacket, the weight of material, and its cut.

The only problem you will have using it on the streets is your reset.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Cheers Harry for the speedy reply.

I would be producing the bottle at the start of the act so I wouldn't have to try to keep it concealed for too long.

Is it better to use a jacket that is slightly too large for you? Is it possible to use a waistcoat rather then a jacket?

Also does it really matter the colour of balloon you use for the production?

Thanks,

Matthew Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5369 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Matthew, you should be OK if your coat is not a tight fit and was left unbuttoned. A vest/waist coat probably will not work. The vest clearly could not be a “waist coat” as it would not be long enough to provide proper cover.

You could use an un-tucked, and unbuttoned shirt.

Any colored balloon including a clear balloon is OK. The balloon has little to do with the mechanics of the trick other to provide a bit of cover and misdirection. You could use a bandana instead of a balloon. You could use a newspaper. The balloon does give a bit of tension before the “pop”. The crowd will cringe in anticipation.

Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
I liked it when I first saw Michael Ammar produce a wine bottle, very startling, and I think the balloon just adds to the effect..
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bob Read has the best one I have seen. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5369 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You are absolutely right-on, Pete!!! The best part of Bob’s production was it didn’t use any special bottle gimmick thingy and was almost angle proof (actually in Bob’s hands it was angle proof!)
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Where can I get hold of this version of the bottle production? Is there a video clip online? Are the workings of it very similar to the 'Splash Bottle'?
Sorry about all the questions Smile
Thanks,
Matthew
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4164 Posts

Profile of emyers99
the best version in my oppinion is Ammar's. I had a session with him where he did it with me standing on both sides of him and really close, and I saw nothing. He even let me wear his coat and try it. It's amazing. I have splash bottle. Be prepared, the directions are the worst I have ever seen, not that you really need directions for this sort of thing. I use the gimmick from Splash but use Ammar's method of producing it. This gimmick does create more of a bulge than a topit does, however
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bob Read's is probably available from H&R Books (it requires NO gimmick) as it is just a little booklet explaining how to do it. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
Tomedo Somethingorother from this month's Genii has a very simple champagne bottle production from a paper bag. No gimmicks either.
Michael Sullivan
View Profile
New user
Australia
86 Posts

Profile of Michael Sullivan
I personally like doing splash bottle for many reasons compared to the other 2 versions and here is my thoughts if it helps anyone.

I think that the splash bottle production is better, as the setup for the steel is much better to get into from where the neck of the bottle can be positioned and taken hold of, especially for a balloon production.

I use it in the middle of my act and have not yet been questioned on any bulge in the coat but you can pull the coat back and place the hands on the hips to give a great display that the coat may be empty. With the other method it is not possible.

But Harry is correct in saying that the coat needs to be a loose fit and be left unbuttoned.

The Ammar method puts a lot of weight in the coat itself and is better used with a cloth or silk production.

The Read method is good but can be very painful with its location and can slide down and it you don't possision it correctly you can get into some trouble.

I have found the splash bottle to be much better with a full bottle want slip. It does not pull your jacket to one side and is super comfortable to have on you compared to the other.

I hope this helps and each version is great and each person should use the method that works for them.

Michael
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22900 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
m@t,

You also have to wear a belt. The gimmick is worn on the belt. No, you cannot wear a waist coat. It must be a full sport or suit coat. It must also be open. The gimmick is made very well. It is as professional a gimmick as one could expect.

The book with Bob Read's full routine in it is Thanks to Pepy. I have the full act as presented by Read. Bob Sold these many years ago. I don't know if the address I have on his envelopes is still good.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Hank Lee has a video with Bob on it. It's one of his Onclave videos.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I haven't see any of Ammar's or Bob's versions, but I wouldn't say it is angle proof. People located at "2 o'clock" (between your front and your right) could have a glimpse on what's happening under cover of the left part of your jacket, especially when preparing for the production. Maybe Ammar and others managed to reduce this risk, but I try, when I do it, to slighly turn right in order to FACE the spec who is the most at my right. (Clear? So, my left side faces the other spectators.)

I use to have the spectator choose a balloon (different colors) and blow into it as I explain what's going to happen. (Alcohol-test: I am going to concentrate his breath, and make the balloon explode so I can analyze what the person has been drinking... David Stone presentation)

Jonathan.
streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of streetmagician_08
When you say the jacket has to be loose what do you mean, like do you mean it cannto be super tight? or what I'm a little confused, because I bought splash bottle and waiting for it to arrive and I am gooing to buy a suit so I'm kinda putting 2 and two together? any other information about the jacket's involvement with the splash bottle would help me bunches....
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Just buy a suit that fits and don't button the jacket.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I produce a bottle of Champagne for the bride and groom at weddings or for the guest of honor at a special birthday(40th, 50th, etc.) using the splash bottle gimmick.

One of my favorite jackets (bright blue) to wear when performing does not cover the bottle well, as the jacket is pretty form fitting. It does matter what jacket you wear, but as Larry Davidson said, a suit that fits will work, for the most part.

Rich B.
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
You can see a demo vid here. Just do a search for "Splash Bottle":

http://www.jbtv.co.uk/

Cheers,

José.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
There are more deceptive methods of producing the bottle than the balloon pop method demonstrated on JBTV.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Splash Bottle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL