The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Finally got out there! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Well, finally took the plunge, and busked at Pedestrian Sunday, where they close off the streets to vehicles in a neat little shopping neighbourhood in the city here.It went far better than I had thought it would.

I'd like to thank all the contributors here, as the wisdom and experience you've all been so kind to share really made me suck far less that I would have without you. Made $26.25 in just over two hours before the punk band started near my pitch.

Had a great time, and thanks again for posting everyone. Will be out there again soon!
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
You are a very brave woman...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Lol
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Congratulations!
...the magic that creates Memories!
SilvaAce
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
156 Posts

Profile of SilvaAce
We want details on how your day went and what you performed! I love hearing about what others do, it gives me confidence when it is my turn to go out.
Thanks!
All you have to do to change your life, is to change your daily habits!

Carlos Silva
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Day went well - did various coin and cards tricks to draw a crowd, and did Whit Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knot rope routine, and Johnny Thompson's cups & balls.

Drew about three decent sized crowds, and lots of couple/three/four people here and there. Got set up and started just before noon, as the streets were closing - wasn't paying attention to which side of the street I was on, so from 12:30 on, I was baking in the sun like a potato! Wound up with a pretty decent sunburn on my arms & neck.

The hardest part really is getting out there. Once my table was set up, I started doing some stuff and it was all good - the nerves settled down, and it was just like it went in rehearsals. Had a great spectator when I just got started who loved the magic, laughed hard and loud, and must have brought a dozen people over with his reactions to the tricks.

About 2:00, the bar a few doors down from me had a punk band playing on their patio, and that was pretty much the end of my set - I couldn't compete with the volume!

Was very glad that others had posted here on the importance of making an act - granted mine is in its infancy and quite probably sucks, but it went better and smoother than 'one trick after the other.'
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Keep up the great work. I would love to see any photos and/or video of your performances.

In what city did you perform? I would love to come and watch and support you.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Thanks eddierush!

I'm in Toronto, and will see if I can get someone to take some pics. Will try to get out again this weekend.

If you're near here, or I find myself near your neck of the woods, same thing goes. Always love to see some good magic!
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Oh, and just so you don't get the wrong impression, I'm not as The Great Zoobini says "a brave woman" - My beard and *** say otherwise!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
That must be impressive, having a beard and &$^% that can say "otherwise." You should consider putting that in the act! Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
SilvaAce
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
156 Posts

Profile of SilvaAce
Thanks for posting details!
Next time I'm out I too will be watching the sun so that I don't fry.

It's always awesome to have the loud laughing spectators. In the few shows that I have done I have noticed that there is always at least one of these types of people. I call them "My Number One Fans", because they always make me look better. Oh, and there is always a "Wanderer", you know, the two year old that wanders around and gets in your stuff.LOL

Good luck next time and have a great time!
All you have to do to change your life, is to change your daily habits!

Carlos Silva
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Chapter one of a nice success story, yay!!
The presentation makes the magic.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Getting out there and doing it the first time is the hardest part. Now that you've done it, you'll get better and have more fun.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Sounds like you did well, Fman111.. keep up the momentum.. don't stop, or you may find it more difficult to start again...

This is my first season.. haven't been out in over 3 weeks.. and I'm more anxious now than I was first time.

Like Fman says.. the hardest part is getting out there and doing it. I'm the same with almost any "new" area of magical development - it takes about 3 minutes into the show, and it's like I've never been gone.

Doesn't matter what it is - every "new situation" is a mental challenge, trying to always have an answer or a quip ready - on top of doing the show and anticipate the next move.

But - I always fret a bit when I'm about to step into the unknown. I prepare for it as much as I can, and then when it's over, I wonder WHY I thought there would be snags?

So, tomorrow - I'll be out there, weather permitting - the main reason I've been off for 3 weeks...

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Finally got out there! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL