The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » One Degree by John G. ... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RogueMD
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of RogueMD
... just arrived. To good to put down! Haven't finished it yet (duh!) but the strength of the material is remindful of John B.'s "Dear Mr. Fantasy"!
More later...

Michael
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Heya! My book just arrived as well, and I love it. It looks beautiful--two color, low gloss paper, and a fabulous design and cover that looks like it came out of a little book shop.

As for the material? Smart, elegant, and clearly described by John G with the passion of someone excited to share their material, and with a humble attitude that fits a genuinely kind guy like John G.

It's a big deal when someone deserving has a book come out, and I'd like to be the first to congratulate John G on a book well done!

I'm absolutely in awe of John G's One Degree, and honored to help him bring it to print. See much more here:

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com

Best,

Josh
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
First impressions....easily as good as anything he's put out before, and his stuff is the stuff of legend. Bravo!
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
A very elegant book - I especially love the essays placed strategically throughout! Much food for thought!

Its refreshing to see some old favorites from John's DVDs and earlier notes - but finetuned and revamped.

He really is a thinking magician's magician!

Many thanks to John for sharing his ingenuity with us and to Vanishing Inc for presenting it in such a magnificent way1 kudos to all involved!
simonlebon
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of simonlebon
Already receive your book in china???waww
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Its on my to get list.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3959 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Also in Germany Smile ... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
I've been having an absolute blast with Intro-verted, and as he indicates in the book, I've been doing it with a color changing deck at the end. I think these two things--trick and then color change--make for a VERY startling and complete routine with a nice beginning, middle, and end sequence.

Best,

Josh
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Hi,

I pre-ordered this and received it on July 27.

John G has done it again -- this book is fantastic wrt both content and production. It's clear a lot of thought and expense went into producing this fine quality item. Most of the effects haven't seen print before AFAIK but there are also some older favorites finally described in print. Several have been updated with new handling tips that help to elevate the impact of the original.

One of my favorites is a new item "Mr. E. Takes a Stroll." This is an effect along the lines of Hamman's "The Signed Card" with Jack Carpenter's "Mysterious" being a key influence. I've long been a fan of this plot and I think John's version makes this effect more logical and meaningful. The variation on the "in the spectators hands" switch is a bit bold but works great. Related is "Quantum Kings" - very cool indeed.

Lots of practical magic in this book, all in the John G style we all know. Not just magic, but also includes several intriguing essays.

In a time where magi take the easy (and cheap) route with DVDs, it's nice to see folks including John G (and Andi Gladwin) spending the time and effort to product such a great book for the magic community.

Highly recommended.

Thanks John!
Kevin
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hey Kevin,

Agreed! I love Mr E Takes a Stroll. And, have you worked through Truth in Advertising? Simple but SO effective!

Josh
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
Got my copy yesterday, and have to say Andi and Josh have done another superb job of creating a well crafted, written, and designed book which perfectly showcases John's remarkable material. Forget buying the next one-trick DVD save up, sell your Dippy Duck if necessary, do anything in your power to get your hands on this!

The essays alone are worth the price of the book, John's thinking on the One Degree subject should be required reading for every serious magician.

And don't under-estimate some of the more simple pieces in the book, I can't wait to try out Either Or and have some great ideas about how to use this to set up for further routines.

I laughed out loud after reading Solo, John's take on the Open Travelers is insane, I can't wait to make up the special something and can only imagine the weird eerie feeling this will give your spectators, it's one of those things you wish you had seen before reading the method!

And the rest of the book contains material just as good, I have been a big John G fan ever since the release of his first L&L DVDs and this book takes it to the next level, congratulations to all involved, you really need to buy this if you haven't already!

Rich.
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
942 Posts

Profile of jbadman
I've been reading and working through John's new book 'One Degree' for the past week now and think I'm now able to comment on the contents having had time to absorb some of the material inside.

First I have to say I'm already a fan of Johnny G's work in any case. He is the King of Kickers; the Sultan of Surprise and the Harlot of Happy Endings.

In short, his routines all seem to have one thing in common; they take the plot to where it should end - where you think it HAS ended - and then they wind the boot well back and unleash a kick to the head!

Case in point - the superb double-routine 'intuition' and 'out of the blue' - superb synergy in the construction of the method(s) provides what seems to be an absurdly impossible ending.

Quantum Kings - elegant handling, simple routine - well within the capability of the average card handler and again a lovely kick to the head.

Palm Reader Plus is a really sweet and simple routine that features a lovely display.

My favourite routine though is 'intro-verted' which is sheer pasteboard poetry...

Add to this great content the fact that the book is beautifully produced - with no expense spared - an attribute that I believe counts as a lot - this is a wonderful purchase. My favourite card magic book for quite some time. In fact the last time I enjoyed a magic book this much was Dave Solomon's 'The Wisdom of Solomon' which remains one of my all time favourites. One Degree belongs right up there too.

Jamie
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
543 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
This book is all around great stuff. Well thought out and put together. It's all a really attractive package. I am having such a good time with "Palm Reader Plus".
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
368 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Thanks for all the great comments, guys!!

Heads up...I'll be the special guest at the Café all this week (Aug. 9-15). Looking forward to hearing from you.

Also, check out the NEW promo video up at http://www.vanishingincmagic.com

John G
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1079 Posts

Profile of taller8
I hate to ask the age old question, but what is the difficulty level for most of the routines?

Most people that commented on the book are, shall I say, pretty good with a deck of cards. Smile

I'm adequate with a deck of cards, but loves John's magic.
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Taller8, if you are comfortable with a deck of cards and already know enough about John's magic to know you like it, then this book shouldn't be a problem for you. I love how he uses relatively straightforward methods to achieve extraordinary magic - no "difficult for the sake of being difficult" moves in there Smile
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I plan on getting this book, sounds great!

However, on a side note, I'm really glad to see the production and success of printed books again. Kaufman seems to have given up on producing books anymore - he just seems tired. But I believe there is a market out there for quality, working magicians material. The oft repeated "I'm a visual learner" excuse to not buy a book to learn magic only applies if you have a poorly written, poorly illustrated book. This seems to deliver on all fronts - material, writing, and production values. Congratulations to everyone involved and especially to you John.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Quote:
On 2010-08-10 12:28, doug brewer wrote:
I plan on getting this book, sounds great!

However, on a side note, I'm really glad to see the production and success of printed books again. Kaufman seems to have given up on producing books anymore - he just seems tired. But I believe there is a market out there for quality, working magicians material. The oft repeated "I'm a visual learner" excuse to not buy a book to learn magic only applies if you have a poorly written, poorly illustrated book. This seems to deliver on all fronts - material, writing, and production values. Congratulations to everyone involved and especially to you John.

Amen to EVERYTHING you said there!
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
John's book is great. If you're interested, I just posted a video review on my blog. Check out http://calebwiles.blogspot.com/2010/08/m......ohn.html

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Sherbos
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Sherbos
This is easily one of the best purchases I've made in my relatively short time in card magic. I love the way John structures his routines and his thoughts and insights are invaluable. Too much quality stuff to call a favourite but I have been working on the Duplex Change and Palm Reader plus to begin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » One Degree by John G. ... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL