The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes Ľ Ľ One Degree by John G. ... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
347 Posts

Profile of KLG
At first I hesitated about ordering the book, since I already know most of the effects (from John's previous DVDs and notes). Fortunately I finally did ordered! The essays alone already worth the submission price. Not to mention all the One Degree improvements John had done to the effects!
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
368 Posts

Profile of JohnG
I just finished a week as the featured guest here on the Cafť.
LOTS of great sharing and information about One Degree and more.

Check it out at:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......m=286&25

Thanks for the wonderful comments.
I truly appreciate it.

John G
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I recived "One Degree" in the mail yesterday... and it only took seven days for me to get the book. Wow John, that was ultra fast!

Have been looking trough it the whole day today.
Very nice layout, nicley written and illustrated with photos.

The first effect that really caught my eye was "Either Or" which I have decided to be the first one to learn.

-Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1019 Posts

Profile of helder
I receive the book today, amazing quality, one of the best books of the year...no doubt

Amazing job, thanks John and Vanishing magic team

Helder
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4150 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I've just ordered it. This better be good Smile I'm hoping it's not some crazy finger flicking insanity and if it is, I hope the essays will make up for it since I am not a moves junkie.

By the way, to the folks who've ordered from Vanishing Inc., any idea what this Magic from the Session thing is that appeared on my order confirmation?
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 01:27, kissdadookie wrote:
I've just ordered it. This better be good Smile I'm hoping it's not some crazy finger flicking insanity and if it is, I hope the essays will make up for it since I am not a moves junkie.

By the way, to the folks who've ordered from Vanishing Inc., any idea what this Magic from the Session thing is that appeared on my order confirmation?

Its part of their summer book sale: Order one book and get Magic from the session (convention) for free.
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
368 Posts

Profile of JohnG
[quote]On 2010-08-19 06:59, Your Thinking Cap wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 01:27, kissdadookie wrote:
I'm hoping it's not some crazy finger flicking insanity!

I doubt anyone would characterize my magic as "finger-licking madness."
I think you'll be pleased with the methods, handling and strength of the material.

John G
John Guastaferro

kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4150 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Looking forward to it John. Very excited.
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of King14
This is a great book 10/10
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
I'm glad Vanishingincmagic are continuing to produce great quality magic books. Someone should have approached John about a book before and I'm glad it finally happened. I hope this is a great success for them and John.

Paul.
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
368 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Hey guysm

Thought you might be interested to hear that One Degree is now on Dennis Behrís archive. What a great resource.

http://archive.denisbehr.de/archive/resultbook.php?book=315

John G
John Guastaferro

taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1079 Posts

Profile of taller8
What a great list of card moves. I'm a casual card guy, but being exposed to all of these sleights and seeing them in the context of a trick has to be well worth the price of this book.

I've always loved John's DVD's too. It's nice to see what 'smooth and natural' actually looks like.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4150 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Picked it up from the post office this morning and I've read a bit of it. I'm liking this book, liking it a lot. Very well written John, the quality of the writing takes all the guess work out of envisioning what the effect plays out like.
RogueMD
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of RogueMD
As promised... for those of you still on the fence about this book, my further thoughts.

"Truth in Advertising"
John says this is his favorite opener... and I can see why. Lots of magic with a great presentational hook. Sort of a "Red Hot Mama" idea with a printing of a blank deck combination! Very magical. You do have to use a stranger card so its not FASDIU, but once that card is removed (openly), you're good to go.

"Either/Or"
Great idea for a very simple effect. John takes a simple sleight (described) with a interactive presentation to create a great effect. This is one I will use! And the sneaky bonus is you can set up for another effect openly while doing this one....

"Palm Reader Plus"
This effect is a very clean version of 4 aces predicting a chosen card, becoming the chosen card, and then the mates! Another opening type effect allowing for spectator interaction with performer. This is pretty sweet!

"Intro-verted"
Four selected cards appear in a magical way. There. that's it. Move on. Nothing to see here. What? Still reading? Skip this. Move on. Look...there's Elvis! OK...the truth is... this is a super clean effect that is amazing, fun to perform, and so well constructed the nuts and bolts and seams don't even show! I love this effect! Absolute keeper. And there are some very nice variations as well, using 5 cards selected and a color changing deck handling by J. Jay. Put time into this...its well worth it.

"Mr. E. Takes A Stroll"
A FASDIU effect (always nice!), in the hands (my preference almost always!), production of Aces with a transposition of a signed spectator card with a previously spectator held "mystery" card of performers choosing. Vey nice switch involved.

"Relay"
Cannot comment much on this as I have not performed it for anyone. Essentially 3 selected cards are found after being shuffled into their own held packets of cards. Interesting premise.

I'll take a moment to comment on the essays in this book. A lot of times with essays I find them to be a bit pedantic (and even condescending!); however, Mr. Guastaferro buries real world helpful (and thoughtful) information into his essays. There are 5 essays on varying aspects of performance that are absolutely terrific! I really like his"Mental Block" essay dealing with that unfortunately common (for me) situation of going completely blank("senior moment") when asked to see a card trick.

This reflects only the first two chapters...John could have stopped here and I would have been MORE than happy with my purchase. Fortunately for us...he did not! Five more chapters to go... to be reviewed later(if anyone is interested!)

My 2 cents. Thank you John Guastaferro!

Michael
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1625 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Very informative review Michael. Thanks. Please do go on.
Brandon Sheffield
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Brandon Sheffield
Okay, I never write reviews. I just donít. I think I might have written one and thatís it. I just think magic can be very subjective, what I love you might not. I try not to persuade anyone to buy something unless I feel they would benefit from it. With that said, let me begin with my review of John Guastaferros, One Degree!

I will talk about everything as if you have never seen one of his DVDís because there are a few effects in the book that were explained on his DVDís. However, there are some minor changes in handling.

First of all the book is beautiful! A very classy design for sure.
I will not going to go over every effect thatís in the book and give a rating for each one. Instead I will tell you why each effect will work for a multitude of people.

Johnís magic is very clean and thought out. There are no wasted moves and nothing unnatural to the eye of laymen. It is very hard to improve upon his effects. He keeps everything so direct and natural.

The effects that stand out to me and are very powerful are these: Either Or, Palm Reader Plus, Mr. E Takes a Stroll, Quantum Kings, Homage to Homing, Behind the Back Triumph(that the spectator performs!), Lost and Found, and Intuition-Out of the Blue.

One of my favorite effects is Out of the Blue. Look it up and you will see why. Mr. E Takes a Stroll has already been added to my close up routine.
I need to mention that John include a chapter on three new sleights. He then gives variations to those sleights as well as some of the other routines in the book. So you actually end up with three different ways to perform or end a routine!

Do not miss the essays that are in the book. The essays not only made sense but, they made me to think about my technique and how I can improve.

The whole basis of the book is the simple principle of One Degree. John believes that changing a routine one degree could alter the perception of the spectator. Small changes, huge differences!

I really think fifty dollars is a complete steal. Pick this up and I know you will use a ton of the material again and again.

Brandon
cardlover
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of cardlover
Im ordering this now!
Got the free teaser effect and it is getting wonderful reactions.
Can't wait to study the book from cover to cover..
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
368 Posts

Profile of JohnG
In case your curious, another review of One Degree here:
http://www.littleegyptmagic.com/magic.html

Ab out half way down on the page.

Thanks for the nice comments, guys!

John G
John Guastaferro

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
For people who are familiar with John and/or his work, I'd say this is pretty much what you'd expect. Now, if you're *not* familiar with John, that sounds like a tepid review, but if you are, then you know it's really not. That is to say, it's a 10/10. Sorry, John, but your body of work to date has set the bar VERY high!

The book itself is just like John's magic - well thought out, unified by themes that are repeatedly illustrated in different ways. The material is top notch, as are the subtle "One Degree" extra touches, and the essays and theory.

As is typical for John, it's 100% practical, and 100% complete, including not only the effects and scripting that John uses, but ideas for personalizing them and insight as to the particular touches that really make the difference.

When I graduated from law school a few years ago, I had a party for my family and closest friends; John was the first magician I contacted, and I was very happy that he was available to work the party. The book reflects John's attitude and persona perfectly, which was as I had expected from viewing the Brainstorm DVDs - not only is John a very nice and down to earth guy, he's also obviously a dedicated student of the art (the end credits and elaborations on each effect bear this out), and he's extremely serious about his art. His constant "What ifs?" have not only created some great effects, but have improved upon what were already great effects.

This is really a great, great book, and also an inspiration - It suggests the amazing possibilities that are available not from sitting around trying to master the newest cool knucklebusters, but from just thinking about the effects that are already in your repertoire. The suggestions for structured thought and creativity exercises, and tying effects into your own persona, are outstanding, too. If I didn't use a single effect from the book (and I will use more than one, and you will, too), it would still be worth the price for the theory and presentation suggestions.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
368 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Video review of One Degree included in the latest Wizard Product Reviews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVweP__eD......a_player

John G
John Guastaferro

The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes Ľ Ľ One Degree by John G. ... (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL