The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » About Family Entertainment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I've worked with story tellers at folk music festivals. They got big audiences, and as much money as I did. Sometimes they will come with a tamboreen, a horn, a bottle of water, and nothing else.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If they are great, I agree Skip and Al. The entertainment can be great. They just need to be really good at it.

Those new to performing don't realize what level they must be at to hold the attention of a group and how good the good ones really are at dealing with the unexpected.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
Around here in my city, education and multiculturalism are major things. More particularly with stronger ties to the Chinese and First Nations people. We have kite festivals, dragon boat racing, hockey Tai-chi, multicultural festivals, a variety of pow-wows, and music festivals. At more of the First Nations events, they usually feature some kind of storytelling event involving colourful costumes, music and dance.

As for this event, I know that we have at least one comedy magician for sure. Everyone else does a variety. I can't really pinpoint what they would consider themselves as. But I don't think if I tried a comedy act with everyone else who's much better at comedy acts that I'd be able to keep up with them. So I suppose I do have to go a different way and find something that feels right to me.

However, I do have a loud voice when needed. I can project all the way to the back of the local Auditorium unaided without too much trouble. It's a significant distance from the stage to the back of the auditorium.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 14:43, Frank Starsini wrote:
If they are great, I agree Skip and Al. The entertainment can be great. They just need to be really good at it. Those new to performing don't realize what level they must be at to hold the attention of a group and how good the good ones really are at dealing with the unexpected.

Just like magicians, clowns, comedians, jugglers, puppeteers........... Smile Agreed.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 15:48, Kabanning wrote:
More particularly with stronger ties to the Chinese and First Nations people.

I spent some time with friends among the Blackfoot in Montana and the Cherokee here in Carolina. These cultures have the greatest stories and unquestionably the finest storytellers. One could learn a great deal from them.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 17:05, Skip Way wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 15:48, Kabanning wrote:
More particularly with stronger ties to the Chinese and First Nations people.

I spent some time with friends among the Blackfoot in Montana and the Cherokee here in Carolina. These cultures have the greatest stories and unquestionably the finest storytellers. One could learn a great deal from them.

I agree. When I was little, we would go to a summer camp located at a historical park in the area. While there, one of the things we did was tell stories. Particularly those dealing with First Nations mythology. Although, on occasion we would make up our own. One of my personal favourites was one entitled 'Ramone the Ghost.' This was a cautionary tale to prevent campers from wandering off in to the forest. Supposedly, anyone caught wandering off on their own would be faced with the canabalistic ghost of a deceased voyaguer who had no problems with devouring anyone who crossed his path. These stories tend to have been very bloody and scary in a humoristic sense (EI: Ramone eating your eyeballs like meatballs and your hair for spagetti). But it was effective and we loved it. These days, apparently I'm not allowed to reuse Ramone anywhere (despite the fact that kids still like this sort of thing). Even in the story's mildest form. It is kind of sad, really.

But I digress. Storytellers from these communities seem to be rather skilled at what they do. I'm glad to have sat in on some of these stories.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
I would suggest not being too ambitious in what you do in your first outings. Four or five minutes that are tightly constructed and well-rehearsed and delivered are far better than eight or ten minutes that have less structure and cohesiveness where you might lose your audience’s attention.

I am a bit confused as you mention in one post that this is your first show and in another you talk about doing the Cups and Balls for strangers. Was that not a show or was it just a sort of impromptu situation?
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
It was more of a 'sandbox' situation. It wasn't really a show as it was showing off what I've learned. It was at a Magic Cicle training session with our group.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
One of my best experiences with a story teller weaving her magic was "Merlina" a past president of the S.A.M. It was one of the highlights of my trip to Boston for the 2005 big S.A.M. Convention.

Enjoy the journey....

I'm thinking of a new cups and balls routine with a story based on Dora the Explorer for my 2011 library shows. ....and Nigel is learning Spanish...his Sister puppet Grace...learned ASL for this (2010) season.

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris....

now where is that tamborine?...oh yeah next to my new frog drum........
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 14:16, Al Angello wrote:
I've worked with story tellers at folk music festivals. They got big audiences, and as much money as I did. Sometimes they will come with a tamboreen, a horn, a bottle of water, and nothing else.

I have a feeling I shouldn't ask this but go on Al:

What did they do with the bottle of water?
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » About Family Entertainment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL