The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Alice's Revenge by Bob Farmer (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
482 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
It is NOT magicians choice. It's a completely FREE choice
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Just got this. Excellent effect and method.

I have an effect (yet to be released) called Nitrate which is a two phase affair. The second half is similar to this, but the workings are quite different. However, I will also be using Alice's Revenge as it's just too much fun.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
482 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Hey Gary, I like your idea to age card and giving away the double blank with the message. Since the blank is never seen until the end you can do anything with that card. You could even get some Alice in Wonderland sticker and work into the story that Alice becomes the new Queen of Wonderland. That could turn the trick into something fun that kids could enjoy. My story above is a darker more adult story but this trick would work for kids or adults.

Also I prefer doing this trick with some slight of hand but this could be performed with NO SLIGHT OF HAND. It's completely self working.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
427 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Oct. 31/10:As a special bonus, the first 25 purchasers get a date with the girl on the cover.

Update Nov. 1/10: ***, she just got engaged, I'll have to think of something else.

I really like Mike's story above. Great idea.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
427 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Incidentally, the method is so diabolical, Satan asked for a private lesson.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2364 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I don't have this effect, but found it pretty easy to reverse engineer from the video. Given that, it seems to me that one big advantage it offers over the "competition" is the ability to leave the blank card with the participant(s). In fact, I'd be inclined to do this with my business card in place of the blank, which would be even more personalized, and also save money on double-blanks. Plus, the giveaway card could be pre-written with an appropriate message.

Of course, for all I know, these ideas are already explored in the instructions ... Mr Farmer is a very thorough (and creative) guy!
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
427 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Doug:

Yes, I have suggested some other ideas for the blank card. However -- here's the part you might like more: you can also do the trick as a prediction, no blank card is used (and I explain this in the instructions).

The effect is this: the audience decides on any three queens -- those are the only queens in the envelope and they are in the order selected. There is no Equivoque and any three queens can be named.

The above demo is also the simplest version of the effect. A bit more advanced version is this: you can show the four queens, one by one (NO false counts or Elmsley Counts, etc.) -- then place them in the card case. Any queen is named and it becomes a blank card.

I also include a version where you remove the four queens from a deck and place them in the card case (once again the named queen vanishes).
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
427 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Alice is selling very well. Thank you for the support and all the great reviews.
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
908 Posts

Profile of andykean
My orders in
$15 looks like a bargain to me!
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
973 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2010-10-24 01:24, funnyclown wrote:
Hey Gary, I like your idea to age card and giving away the double blank with the message. Since the blank is never seen until the end you can do anything with that card. You could even get some Alice in Wonderland sticker and work into the story that Alice becomes the new Queen of Wonderland. That could turn the trick into something fun that kids could enjoy. My story above is a darker more adult story but this trick would work for kids or adults.

Also I prefer doing this trick with some slight of hand but this could be performed with NO SLIGHT OF HAND. It's completely self working.

If you take a queen from your deck and with fine sandpaper rub off most of the face (leaving just a little so you can tell it's a queen but not which one) and rub most of the back design off also, you're left with a very strange memento!!

I also use the business card idea of ddyment's, this is the perfect way to hand out your business card, and at the same time giving you the perfect excuse to put the queens away!!

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Gary, the faded Queen idea is brilliant!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
427 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
GARY:

I agree -- the faded queen idea is brilliant. With your permission, I'll add that to the next printing.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I did this for Magic Friday a little while back and it went over really well!

(click the banner to watch the review)

And it's still in my wallet!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
This strikes me as being a similar principle to one of my standard wallet carries, a packet called "Parade of Kings".

I think the presentation of PoK is a bit more direct, but that's just my opinion.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
973 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2010-12-19 20:55, Cyberqat wrote:
This strikes me as being a similar principle to one of my standard wallet carries, a packet called "Parade of Kings".

I think the presentation of PoK is a bit more direct, but that's just my opinion.

Alice's Revenge is so much more versatile than Parade of Kings, if you wanted you could do a version of PoK but in reverse, just ditch the double blank and replace it with a double backer ;-)! The principle/s involved in Alice's Revenge are really quite ingenious, while Pok has just one effect, with Alice's Revenge you have many ways to go.

Remember, with Alice's Revenge you see all the faces of the other queens, very clever thinking from Mr Farmer!

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
427 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Jamie also has a great idea in his review -- make sure you check it out.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
743 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
"Parade of Kings" (aka "Dream Queen"--see below)

http://magicshop.magictricks.com/Dream-Queen_p_159.html

...is superior than "Alice", in my opinion.

"Alice" is anti-climatic".

"Parade of Kings" has TWO climaxes: their card is face-up AND its of a different back.

More than likely, the magis who see "Alice" as something special & different...weren't even born when "Parade of Kings" was released.

Nuff said.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

When one is born has nothing to do with appreciating an effect. Gary Jones knows both effects and believes Alice to be more versatile (I think so too). He's a working magician who knows his stuff.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Quote:
On 2010-12-30 18:48, Moxahalla wrote:

More than likely, the magis who see "Alice" as something special & different...weren't even born when "Parade of Kings" was released.

Nuff said.

Was that really necessary? Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but seriously, if someone likes one trick better, no need to exert such force in one's comments. Both are fine and both have advantages in performance.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Not only that, but Mox is also illustrating one of my big pet peeves in magic, when magicians confuse METHODS with EFFECTS.

The EFFECT of Alice is that one Queen disappears.

The EFFECT of Parade is either:

You predicted which king would be chosen

OR

You magically make a card flip over in the packet and changed its back color.

Nothing disappears in Parade of Kings.

Alice and Parade are different effects. You can't compare them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Alice's Revenge by Bob Farmer (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL