The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Teach us something!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
I've just recently begun occasionally accepting invitations to perform magic for kids. My routine is solid, but It seems to be a regular thing that kids ask me to teach them something at the end of my routine. I'm sure you veteran kids' performers know what I'm talking about.

Do you? And what do you teach?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Well first of all about myself, my total kid shows could be counted on one hand, so I am no veteran. I have come across the same question you have. If I teach them anything, I teach them NOTHING that would lead to figuring out one of my tricks, and also it must be impromptu so they can do it. If they go home and do a little magic trick and people like it, they will stay interested which will lead to you getting a gig at their house for a birthday party.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I use a Carl Andrews trick where the apparent explanation, though it seems possible, is so hard they will never try it.
Phillip
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
If I am going to teach a trick to children, it's the jumping rubber band, the first trick I ever learned. It's easy to do and any child over the age of five can learn it in five minutes.

I love the look of surprise on their faces when they actually make it jump in their own hands.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
I teach them the "Torn and Restored" napkin trick, and do the double restore. They learn the first part of the trick, but then you amaze them again. Always stay one step ahead. Smile
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
584 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
I'm inclined to decline the "teach me" request. I tell kids (truthfully) that it took me years to do some of the things that I show them (unicycling and juggling come to mind). It doesn't hurt for them to have the default "get it quick" attitude challenged.

Actually, the same could be said for most magicians! Smile

regards, Doug
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I sometimes show them the thumb removal trick, which I have perfected after years and years of practice. Smile Smile Smile

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Quote:
On 2003-07-01 11:19, Doug Peters wrote:
I'm inclined to decline the "teach me" request. I tell kids (truthfully) that it took me years to do some of the things that I show them (unicycling and juggling come to mind). It doesn't hurt for them to have the default "get it quick" attitude challenged.

Actually, the same could be said for most magicians! Smile

regards, Doug

I agree entirely. In fact, when anyone asks me "how did you do that?" I ask the group if anyone plays a classical musical instrument or studies ballet. Then I compare my work to their practice. It changes the perception immediately, even with kids.

However, I also think there should be a way to acknowledge their interest and sustain that perception at the same time. Just as Van Cliburn could show some kids how to play a simple piano tune without damaging his own stature as an artist in the least.

What I do want to acknowledge is the enthusiasm and excitement that I've created in the audience that makes them ask me to teach a trick in the first place.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Come on, gentlemen.

We are doing tricks for kids.

Don't give them a song and dance about hours of intense study.

Show them a trick.

Jumping rubber bands.

Linking paperclips.

Declining will have you come off as an arrogant fool.

0pus
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Quote:
If I am going to teach a trick to children, it's the jumping rubberband, the first trick I ever learned. It's easy to do and any child over the age of five can learn it in five minutes.

Same as do, it's quick it's simple and the kids love it.

Sometimes a kid will want to show me a trick which is always the most amazing trick I've ever seen, and one that even I, the magic-man, doesn't know how it's done. Smile If I have time we go to one side (to stop their friends peeking.) Or if it's the birthday kid we wait till the others have gone, so they can teach me how to do it. "We're both magician's and we don't want your friends to know the secret do we?"
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I've done tons of kids shows and never once been asked to teach a trick.

Egads! Something must be wrong with my act!

In any case, were I to be asked I would show something that is pretty much in the public domain, doable by the average kid, and still looks good.

Although I would probably use it as a way to promote my, "Magic Class" birthday party… Usually reserved for older kids who no longer want just a show.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
508 Posts

Profile of spatrick
I have been asked on a few occasions to teach a child something easy. I always indulge them and so should everyone else. After all you are there for the enjoyment of the children. Teach them something neat and easy to do, and don't tell them it took you years of practice. We want to encourage the future magicians of tomorrow to begin learning. When you tell them it takes years to learn something as easy as palming a coin, or jumping a rubber band. The kids are naturally curious and if you have performed a great show, they will naturally ask questions. It's their job. So don't act egotistical and put them off. Make friends with them. Get them on your side. It helps keep the kids in your pocket, where you want them incidentally.

S. Patrick
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I'm with Frankft on this one. I've also done hundreds of shows and I've never had a child ask me to teach them something.

What I have had happen the odd time (and you can usually tell when it's going to happen.) After I finish my show, depending on the situation there are usually several kids hanging around and I always make the time to chat with them. The one that stays around the longest usually confesses that they are very interested in magic and either can I watch something they can do or where can they learn about becoming a magician?

With each scenario I'm very encouraging. Those that want to know more, with the permission of their parents I tell them they can call me or their parents can call. This gives me some extra time I can then point them in the right direction - example books at the public library, shops or even magic clubs.

If someone were to ask that question then I would probably use a simple household item that is available to all.
Smile Smile
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Quote:
On 2003-07-01 15:35, 0pus wrote:
Come on, gentlemen.

We are doing tricks for kids.

Show them a trick.

Jumping rubber bands.

Linking paperclips.

0pus

Opus, I think you sell yourself short (or at least the rest of us), and don't give the kids enough credit. When I use the line about classical music or ballet, even the littlest kids understand, and it changes their entire perspective about magic. They realize there is no "trick" to give away. In fact one little kid said recently "so the trick is that you practice a lot."

Opus, you may just do tricks for kids. I respect them as much as any of my adult audiences. I try to share my magic, my craft, with them.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I have had this question sometimes but I get around it by doing my sucker silk routine. It supposedly explain how the trick works but at the end they still have no clue. If this is done correctly, and with care to routining, the kids will not feel like you cheated them but they will feel like you actually showed them a trick, but that they need to practice it more.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono Magic
Sweden
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I rarely teach them a basic trick because the next question is always "Can you teach me that one you did in the show?"

I just use some one-liner

"Can you keep a secret? Yes? Well, so can I!"

"Teach you? I'm still trying to figure out how I did it!!!"

Sometimes I might teach them the rubber band trick but I will always make them work for it. Get them to pick up broken balloons or something so that they value what I teach them as something special.

They have to VALUE it.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Quote:
On 2003-07-01 15:35, 0pus wrote:
Come on, gentlemen.

If I came off as an arrogant fool, then why do you suppose that I'm continually surrounded by children in every venue that I perform in? Smile

I've had younger ones who I'd not previously met leap into my arms after shows! Smile

As Joshua correctly puts it, it is a question of respect: I respect them and they respect me.

When my daughter asked me to teach her a trick, I gave her one that required practice. It now fools every adult who sees it. Is she grateful that I taught her something requiring investment? Absolutely! Because the return on that investment in terms of self-esteem is huge.

regards, Doug
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The jumping rubber band is also the trick that I will always teach the kids. I think seeing them learn something helps them to appreciate the art of magic and appreciate it a bit more.

It also gives me the opportunity to teach them the importance of practice and presentation. I also have them all give the magician's oath before I ever begin.

The kids love it, the parents appreciate your efforts and I have actually gotten a few kids seriously interested in magic because of it.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Okay, so where is a source for learning the jumping rubber band? It sounds like everyone is familiar with it. Everyone... except me, that is.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Source? Here, of course. Smile
---setup

• Wrap a rubber band around the base the four fingers of the left hand.
  • Make a loose fist with the left hand.
  • Reach into the fist, and grab the rubber band with the right hand
  • Pull the loop up and over the first knuckle of the first and second (index and long one) finger.

Now it should look like there is a rubber band around your first and second finger.
---magic
Open your hand!
(The band apparently "jumps" to the third and fourth finger.)

cheers, Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Teach us something!" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL