The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Comments on my logo please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Hi all
Here is my new logo;

what do you think ?

Posted: Jul 28, 2010 3:41pm
I tried to post bigger but it was huge...
if you need bigger, I'll try again...
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
I like it looks nice
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Color would be nice.
Dennis Michael
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Thank you Mike.

Posted: Jul 28, 2010 4:46pm
Dennis, thanks for your input. I did it black&white on purpose to be able to put it on promotional materials cost effectively.

But maybe I can have a colored variation of it for costless media (no extra expense for color). Such as web and other already colored materials.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Looks very good and its creative. But I'm a firm believer that a picture of yourself is the best logo.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Doruk,

I like the logo, I would do it in colour, and when required convert to shades of gray for lower cost printing etc.

My logo also uses standard colours and those colours are continued through most of my printed materials, in the design elements etc. both for family market and corporate.

Most of the time my logo appears alongside a photo on the printed materials etc, but there are times when my big banner goes up along with the other event sponsors and this is where JUST the logo is used.

Blair
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I always ask this of people creating a logo: What are you trying to communicate with your logo and to whom? Only then can we assess if we believe you are on track.

My first thought is that your logo is of a classic or culturally-generic magician. Is that the image your are going for (top hat, rabbit puller, tuxedo etc)?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
The hat could be dropped and a hand with fire put in there. (See his website)

Blair
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2010-07-29 19:52, Blair Marshall wrote:

Blair

You make a valid point actually. The hat and wands don't fit the image I see on the website (if fact, there seems to be a strong contradiction).

Not to open a debate about public view of magicians but, in my opinion, using magic stereotypes (hat, rabbit, wand, etc) opens you up to both positive and negative associations to those stereotypes.

Again....it depends on what you are going for. He seems to have a mysterious and dark approach. If dark is the objective, then this logo won't be appropriate.
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Quote:
On 2010-07-28 22:18, Benji Bruce wrote:
Looks very good and its creative. But I'm a firm believer that a picture of yourself is the best logo.

Thank you Benji. This would be in place where I can't put a picture of myself:)

Quote:

Blair

Thanks for the idea. I also read your previous post. I'll try to use the logo anywhere possible and the main idea is that the logo makes the client feel more legitimate about you and will affect overall marketing and perception. that's what I'm actually going for..

Quote:
On 2010-07-29 20:15, Scott Burton wrote:
Quote:

Blair

You make a valid point actually. The hat and wands don't fit the image I see on the website (if fact, there seems to be a strong contradiction).

Not to open a debate about public view of magicians but, in my opinion, using magic stereotypes (hat, rabbit, wand, etc) opens you up to both positive and negative associations to those stereotypes.

Again....it depends on what you are going for. He seems to have a mysterious and dark approach. If dark is the objective, then this logo won't be appropriate.

Thank you Scott for the inputs. I'm trying to communicate that I'm classy and elite to the corporations.

I'm no where near a classic or culturally-generic magician Smile . I'm in war towards that trying to clear it off the minds of citizens...

I think the contradiction you talked about comes from here; I used smybols related to my art,not to me. I %100 agree with your stereotype theory. I tried to eliminate negative sides by adding touch of desing and class to the hat but I'm afraid it wont do the work,right?

The seemingly dark approach is actually "power" in my mentalist character. But I 'm not in any way dark in my shows,in fact I totally reflect right. I cannot say that the picture is fit to me,but it was the most effective and likes picture I had,thats why it is there. Ok, I know,I have to totally redo my website Smile

My approach is mixture of classy,charismatic,strong and fun.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Ah, yes, looks like the hat and wands approach in not right for you.

I would stay clear of "symbols related to your art" as they bring baggage and cloud your message. Focus on who you are and what benefits your bring.

In a corporate setting, a top hat is not "classy". If fact, it is the opposite. A sharp suit and well-groomed guy = classy. A top hat = cheesy and dated (unless you play a character).

A logo is tough. It's an incredibly complicated communication tool. You need to find a symbolic way of communicating what you do and what you're all about. You'll need to dig deep into what you mean by "classy, elite, charismatic, strong, and fun". All of those words can be interpreted in so many different ways.

Sorry to be so vague. The logo is so personal to you that it would take time for a person to analyse your situation and really understand your positioning strategy and competitive strengths.
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Your opinions and advises are much appriciated Scott.

As a magician I did a logo reflecting that I'm a magician. But I actually missed the most important part,reflecting me. I see that there's a lot of work need to be done when looked from this perspective. I really put much time and effort on it.

I'm afraid I'll have to use this one for some time as I have other important things to do towards my marketing and shows,and do not have the necessary time to redo the logo totally.

Scott what do you think about finding that perfect symbol, Should I try to find it, or will it come to me and I'll know its the perfect one ?

If anyone has an idea that comes up to make this one better, please let me know.
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Hey what don't you use the pic of yourself you use on this forum (turn it into caricature or something along those lines) to be honest the top hat I find way to cliche - everybody uses it... it does not show what YOU i.e. no "YOUNESS" in it if some other magician put their name into your current logo it would be totally interchangeable (not a good I think...) -just my 2 cents.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I agree that a photo of your is the best symbol of you that you could find. Anything other than that, it's hard to know or suggest without the fine details of your positioning strategy.
gordon russ
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gordon russ
Use COLOR!!! Color is cheap! Just go to GotPrint.com and check out the price of 5000 post cards color front and back. When was the last time you saw a black and white TV. Even your avatar is in color.

Gordon
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Throw in a pair of gloves somewhere.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
You couild certainly do an image of yourself. However, I would stay away from usage of photography alone. It is fine for some applications. However, a pure photographic image for a logo can get costly and become hard to read mwhenused on various items and at various scales and sizes.

Hwoever, you could have a logo created based on an image of you that you feel best represnets the markets you work in. This would then be set as vector absed artwork and would retain detail no matter what size the image is used at.

I do a form of this design and I dubbed this style of logo called realistic Figure Art or RFA. RFA is not for everyone, but it does lend a great logo style for those who want to portay and use the image of themselves as a logo and branding tool.

I am going to attempt to post 1 or 2 designs I have done that are aimed at showing you this process or what a designer could do for you if you are looking for a branded logo based on image.

I hope this is of help to you.

Click here to view attached image.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Thanks all,great suggestions there.

I do understand the uniquness of a picture logo however, when using in materials such as promotional give aways (pens,papers,lighters), flyers (which allready have big picture of me), it will be hard or impossible or costly or not appropriate to use a picture logo, right?

How about I also do picture based logo and use it in places I can as well ? too much confusion ?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Doruk: I can answer that for you. If you are yusing a logo (like the example I designed above), the logo should be used on most anything you can use it on. The logo is what brands you effectively in your markets and the consistenacy of usage is what gets you brand recognition.

The beauty of a vector based logo that is an image of you, is that it can be scaa size of a house and look 100% perfect or can be scaled to a postage stamp and still look great.

it is also veryt easy (since the image is actually artwork) to create a full color version (as you see above) or to create a grayscale version (which is only black and grays). The grayscale version you can use on a lot of elements to save on cost cause it is only 1 color and still looks amazing when printed.

I save the photos of me for usage on posters, postcard mailings and websites. The photos become an extension and they do not become the logo itself.

Hope this helps my friend.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Kyle,

RFA definitly looks great and I think I'll have one done.

So I think we come to a conclusion that this logo is not good for me because it doesnot reflect me , but reflects the art. I'm thinking to use it only for places where I'll write my name,but instead of a standart writing, it will be a charecteristic writing like this one, what do you say?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Comments on my logo please (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL