The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Run Silent Run Deep Review!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
To Ben,

When I clicked on the link from my email to download Run Silent Run Deep it said that "File not available: We are sorry but the file has either expired or the sender has exhausted the download limit". Can you please help Ben?
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
wowbound.com
2099 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Cap: Have just sent a replacement link. Sorry for the problem. You should be OK now.

Benny
+ "Top 10" Best-Selling author at Lybrary.com
+ Proud sponsor "Genii Magazine's 75th Anniversary Convention"
+ Inventor of the world famous Floating Match
+ WOWBOUND.COM
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
wowbound.com
2099 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Jonathon,

It is a sequel. Familiarization with the original is recommended, but you may be able to "read between the lines."

Benny
+ WOWBOUND.COM
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
Quote:
On 2010-07-31 08:30, Ben Harris wrote:
Cap: Have just sent a replacement link. Sorry for the problem. You should be OK now.

Benny

Thank you once again for the great customer service. I look forward to studying the material in Run Silent Run Deep.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-07-31 07:30, Jonathan wrote:
I didn't know I needed to have the original "Silent Running" in order to understand it. Smile I don't have the original, did I waste my money? Or is there enough information in there to make it not necessary?

There is enough information. More than enough. Read Neural Pathway on page 92.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
After trying it, the reactions that I got from Neural Pathway were beyond what I had expected.

Thanks to the clarification of the Silent Running process, and this great new presentation for it that makes it appear you don't know anything about the card until the revelation, I've had people think that I was just acting the whole effect and knew what card they were thinking of the entire time.

Kills. I can now perform; any time, anywhere, on anyone, in any language, an effect with no props. They think of a card, and I name it. Simply stunning. Added to my rep.
OldNick
View Profile
Regular user
Dresden/Germany
111 Posts

Profile of OldNick
Jonathan,

I do not own Silent Running but it was not hard to understand the principle after reading the RSRD book.

Of course I suppose I miss some of the subtleties explained in SR, but the content of RSRD is much enough to give you a solid ground for own thinking.

Hope that helps,

Nico
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
How can you guys read this 200 page pamphlet this quick?
I am now on page 50, inhaling all the great ideas on this concept and I am sure there will be even greater things to discover on the next pages.

I never thought that the Silent Running principle would be this versatile!

Stefan
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
wowbound.com
2099 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
MagicFreak2

Your words make me so happy. As you know, one of the aims of RSRD was to better explain the process-- making the SR procedure easier to grasp. Thanks to my buddy, Steve Shufton, I'm feeling very confident that we've hit the mark. SR IS a POWERFUL tool.

Benny
+ WOWBOUND.COM
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-07-31 15:54, Stefan O. wrote:
How can you guys read this 200 page pamphlet this quick?
I am now on page 50, inhaling all the great ideas on this concept and I am sure there will be even greater things to discover on the next pages.

I never thought that the Silent Running principle would be this versatile!

Stefan

Stefan,

I am only on page 40. This is a book to be studied CLOSELY and to be savored. Some of the stuff I have read so far would have gotten me burned at the stake during the Spanish Inquisition. I knew SR to be something VERY special, but, THIS book offers some of the most powerful mentalism/magic I do believe I have ever encountered. I plan on rupturing many cerebra with some of these approaches.

Someone mentioned earlier in a post that he was suspicious of reviews that did not point out negatives. I can certainly see a valid argument there. I would offer however that sometimes, there really are no negatives. If I were to write a review of Greater Magic for instance, I would not write of negatives because I do not perceive any in the book. There are sections of Greater Magic that do not interest me, such as silk magic. But, to me that is not a negative. I am certain I will find a few things in RSRD that I do not necessarily care for. Yet, that does not imply a negative.

At least to me, negatives are best enumerated by criteria such as substantiveness of content, quality of the work, clarity of purpose, and other less subjective points.

One might argue that my review, were I to write one of RSRD, once I get through it, would be colored by my anticipation of the manuscript based upon my love for both SR and Crossroads. There is validity to that argument as well. Yet, the rejoinder to that would be that since I have a vested interest in this in terms of what I do best and how my repertoire will be affected, my judgement is actually MORE critical and well informed.

I can say that even only being 40 pages in, I am already THRILLED with this. As I had stated in an earlier post, Steve Shufton's work here is WELL worth the FULL price of this book. In fact, I truly think Ben has UNDER PRICED this manuscript.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
wowbound.com
2099 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
I can just now confirm that there WILL BE a lovely print version of the book (Perfect Bound) available from all dealers in about 3 weeks. The deal has just been finalized. A Japanese translation has also just been struck.

Cheers

Benny
+ WOWBOUND.COM
TimEden
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TimEden
There has been much talk (even in the advertising blurb) of how magicians have not "got" Silent Running compared to mentalists. A valid point I'm sure. I'm obviously in the former category as I can't seem to pull SR off.

My question here would be does RSRD really make this effect easier to manage for people who have failed with SR? Even having shelled out over £20 for something I couldn't get to work most of the time, I would be happy to give it another go.

What worries me is that most people raving about RSRD on here seem to be of the "already love Crossroads and SR" variety. I'm not reading much of "couldn't really get to grips with SR but with RSRD it's all coming together!".

Thoughts/opinions anyone?

Tim
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
Tim,

Sent you a PM
vagrant
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of vagrant
I pre-ordered this, and have spent some time reading forum posts waiting for the release. It seems there are many out there like myself that had not previously read SR but were intrigued by RSRD. Maybe sharing my findings will help others.

First, I think what Benny and others have said about being able to understand the SR principle from RSRD alone is accurate. You can certainly get up to speed with this volume alone. That being said, I stopped reading RSRD after the Steve Shufton section of explanations, bought the SR manuscript and read it through. I did not do this out of confusion. Quite simply, once I realized exactly what I was in possession of, I knew I wanted all of it. I am glad I did, because there are some great things in SR as well.

To me, RSRD seems to be a culmination of a lot of great minds brought together by a really outstanding and innovative principle. This is truly professional grade material. If you have read a lot of magic/mentalism books, and certainly if you perform on a regular basis, then you understand what I mean. Frankly, the price is too low for what is contained here. I am sure I am not alone in selfishly wishing this had been a limited edition release.

My thanks and congratulations to Benny and all of the others that contributed to this wonderful work. I am definitely looking forward to the finale.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
wowbound.com
2099 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Vagrant.

Your first post! Welcome to the Magic Café. And, thanks for your kind comments.

Tim, I hope that Bond19's PM has helped you make a decision. If still undecided, please remember that RSRD carries our 7 day money back warranty. If you don't like it, then simply ask for a refund within 7 days.

Cheers

Benny
+ WOWBOUND.COM
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I'm only on about page 30 as well lol
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
wowbound.com
2099 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
I think many people "skim-read" initially. I know I do. That way you can pick out bits and pieces that you like.
But, I think it's an absolute must that this be read carefully to really extract all the nuances. Take your time, stop and think about all the details.

Benny
+ WOWBOUND.COM
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Benny's absolutely right. I skimmed the book as soon as I got it and had to stop--too overwhelmed. I know now that I'm going to have to parcel my time to take it in slowly. Unlike many (most?) of you, I'm not looking for performance pieces. Performing's not my thing (except in very limited cases). I'm looking for creative catalysts and just a cursory glance showed how many there are in this book. It will be an exhausting and exilerating experience to plumb its depths!
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
Thank you Mr. Harris and all the contributors,

I've been using (or practicing) silent running almost every day since I bought it, I enjoy the reaction it generates and love leaving a blank card as a momento. It is great that it has so many applications and now RSRD as a 'second installment' is pure gravy. I too, lurve the application of Mr. Louie. In fact I was so excited I ordered multiple packs of bicycles!
To be fair, there is so much material here that you have to take time out to fully comprehend the possibilities. What I like about the forum discussions is that folk are picking up on stuff that I obviously skim-read (Guilty! Like Ben's advice to actually re-read the intro- I think we all get a little excited with new information) and now I'm going in for a second time and hello- pure joy.
To those that are having trouble with SR, I would say persevere, It's probably a case of finding your own groove and a patter that makes sense to you (and therefore to your volunteer). Honestly, I thought initially that I was either missing something or lacking the stones to pull it off. You have to have a little 'Jedi' style belief in what you're saying and how it's all going to turn out. There are multiple outs if you feel the need and numerous threads about the efficacy of 'missing', but really, when you discover your particular 'in' to this effect everything clicks and it becomes a delight.
Mr. Shufton's clear and concise script has made me re-think and add a few nuances to what I do and his advice can only help fox 'em even more Smile

All in all, a wonderful resource.

Congratulations again to all involved in this project. Totally worth the outlay.
ars est celare artem
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-08-01 12:59, TimEden wrote:
There has been much talk (even in the advertising blurb) of how magicians have not "got" Silent Running compared to mentalists. A valid point I'm sure. I'm obviously in the former category as I can't seem to pull SR off.

My question here would be does RSRD really make this effect easier to manage for people who have failed with SR? Even having shelled out over £20 for something I couldn't get to work most of the time, I would be happy to give it another go.

What worries me is that most people raving about RSRD on here seem to be of the "already love Crossroads and SR" variety. I'm not reading much of "couldn't really get to grips with SR but with RSRD it's all coming together!".

Thoughts/opinions anyone?

Tim

Tim,

I guarantee that you WILL "get it." As I have posted twice already, Steve Shufton's work on this alone really fleshes out this beautiful method. I do magic, mentalism, and hypnotism. When I first bought Crossroads, and then Silent Running, I KNEW that the kiss of death was to present these as "magic". I think that some magicians may have approached these as card effects. Really, they are not. In fact, with RSRD, you will learn how to use this approach for things OTHER than cards.

But, my point is that SR really has no relation to card magic. It is mentalism that uses 52 objects that happen to be cards. But, if you work through Steve's scripting, and then do HIS approach to this, I guarantee you will make neurons explode. A word though, Shufton's effect is SO strong, it is best used I think as a closer. The effect is called Hands Off Silent but deadly. It is BOTH.

I am working through Ben's section now with a COOL principle called DATOE. (Yes, I have to go back and work through Jamie Badman, Colin Miller, and Richard Busch's sections. Silent Past looks to be a PERFECT effect for bizarreists BTW) Anyhow, DATOE
is a really freaky and STRONG approach to all of this wizardry. So, I am sort of on page 81. Reading slowly and hopping about like a kid in the proverbial candy store.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I do hope that my comment was not taken the wrong way. I DO think one can successfully mix magic and mentalism. But, to do SR after a Collectors routine or an Ace Assembly would really lessen the SR effect. In that sense, maybe that is the reason that some magicians had trouble with SR? When I do SR, I do it as an opener for stage hypnosis. (N.B. I do the dissolving card approach for that because the direct mind read doesn't fit well with a hypnosis theme, and the card stab IS purely in the realm of magic - provided you don't think like a magician. I know, that was clear as mud Smile )) So, in that sense, I am not thinking like a magician. I am thinking like a hypnotist. Hands Off Silent But deadly like the Card Stab would work MUCH better with "magic" than the dissolving card or the direct mind read.

Of course, after I get through this monster work, I will have found other treasures. Ahhh yes, if ONLY one did not have to sleep Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Run Silent Run Deep Review!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL