The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Need Help finding a new suitcase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of The Wonder Company
Hey guys,
So my trusty suitcase here has been with me a great 10 years and is nearing the end of her run. She has taken the standard beating that thousands of birthday have heaved upon her. She's been glued, taped, everything under the sun, but it's time for her to retire. I'm trying to find a replacement for her that I can have painted but I'm having a hard time finding the same vintage suitcase. If possible I'd love to find another copy of the suitcase I have now. The dimensions are great, the weight is perfect for my jumping stool, and the paint really pops off the white background. So far I've had no luck locating one.
If I can't find it I'm looking for suggestions that are big enough and light enough to sit on the jumping stool without collapsing the stool.

My suitcase is hard shelled white faux leather material
It's 16 by 26 and 9 inches deep.
The interior is red satin with pockets on the sides and on the top when open.
Under the handle is a small brass fitting with a picture if an airplane that says:
American Voyager
New York
A picture of it can be found on the homepage if my website.
http://www.maxdarwinmagic.com

Thanks for any help guys and girls! And if you know something that even MIGHT fit what I'm looking for please chime in.

Always Enthusiastic,
Max
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I know this is significantly smaller than what you are currently using, but this is what I use and I love it. It's inexpensive and it looks nice. You can find this case here for $19.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-3-4-quar......777.html

Although, I really like your case due to the size, and would be interested in one if you ever track one down.

Good Luck!

P.S
Your website is really slick, man. Excellent work!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
They don't make suitcase like in the 1950's any more, cardboard and wood. Just make one up yourself in wood and aluminum for the sides, or get on of the case made of a tough plastic material from http://www.fibrecase.com/ They really do not make the fiber material any longer, but now use a great tough plastic material.

Call them and give the dimensions you want. They are great light cases. I have a hinged lid suitcase from them that is great.

They actually make the cases so if you do not want their standard sizes, they will make it up how you want it. Mine came in a Black color that goes all the way through the material with a light grain feeling on the outside. Good price as this was a standard size. Good service as well.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
There are music instrument cases that would work perfectly. Especially if you can find an older piece. Have you spent much time digging around your local resale shops? I've gotten so many great things I couldn't begin to list them all.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Resale and thrift shops! If you think you could use something a little larger, a saxophone case, the old style is wonderful and has the little padded compartment built in. If you need one, let me know. I have one.

Steve
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My suite case is 22" length x 12-1/2" wide x 7-1/4" deep, I ask them for something I could travel with and the salesman said this was the size you could use a carry-on on planes. Cornes are covered in black metal as well. Very tough case.
blsorg
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston WV
149 Posts

Profile of blsorg
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Stopped at a large indoor flea market outside Cincinnati and they had a whole array of the older suitcases. Check your area for flea markets & antique stores. Good Luck!
- Time flies like an arrow; Fruit flies like a banana! -

http://www.WVmagic.net
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm still looking.
Instrument cases is a great idea.
Saxophone case....hmmm. checking dimensions now.

I'm always looking at Flea Markets and Thrift stores.
It's like finding a needle in a haystack!

Thanks again! Please chime in with any more ideas.

M
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oh, you want something old, I have my luggage set from 1959, like new condition. I will sell it to you for $1000.00, storage is pricey. LOL

You should really call the place I referenced, I think I only paid around $50 with postage.
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Wmhegbli,
That website is an amazing resource. Thanks for sharing. Looking into it now.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have a Samsonite that has wheels and a handle. Only problem is its not sectioned and stuff will just be stacked and possible breakage. Can someone give me an idea of how to section off one of these suitcases you see all the time in airports with the long handle and wheels? I mean what kind of material to get it to stay inside the suitcase and partition it.

Thanks much

Decomp
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 02:45, Decomposed wrote:
I have a Samsonite that has wheels and a handle. Only problem is its not sectioned and stuff will just be stacked and possible breakage. Can someone give me an idea of how to section off one of these suitcases you see all the time in airports with the long handle and wheels? I mean what kind of material to get it to stay inside the suitcase and partition it.

Thanks much

Decomp

This is a good question for the Workshop area of the Café, but I will offer an idea anyway. Get heavy poster board from an art store, they have it in hot pressed and cold pressed, I like the hot pressed board. Cut and glue 2 pieces together and then cover with cotton cloth. Thin the white glue a little for easier spreading or use a spay adheasive such as 3M spra-ment. For cross sections, just cut half way through the boards and interlock them together.

Another way is to use foam, but it uses up more space. Cut holes for your props to fit into the foam, the shape of the prop.

Hope these ideas help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Need Help finding a new suitcase (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL