The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging the Mak French Guillotine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
http://grindshow.com/grindshow/blade.html

For my new show 'The Last Tour In A Dark Museum' and I didn't think its gaudy yellow was exactly correct for the French Revolution. Smile Neither is the hardware...but I didn't build it.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4476 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Beautiful job!

My only quibble would be that dried blood is more rust-colored than red.

On the other hand, that wouldn't read as well in a stage setting.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
342 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
Doug...

You did a great j-o-b...with the aging look...the blood looks good to me. Fantastic...you took an ordinary looking prop...and made it look like something real.

Continued Success...Congrats...
Dr. Dan
Psychic & Paranormal Entertainment
www.drdanandco.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The blood around the neck hole would be toward the rust colored after non-use for awhile BUT...
THIS blood is correct as semi-fresh from blade use the prior day (per the story line) but then you couldn't have known that.

You will notice upon closer inspection, there IS older rusty blood stains elsewhere.

As long as we are detailing...you'll see the rubbing area from the HAIR oils (on the front) as vicitms waited to get whacked.

The show by the way is at http://higley.grindshow.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That photo second from the bottom in your grindshow ad... now THAT'S a guillotine. I'd believe that one! Any chance you can get the Grant to somewhat resemble it? I think replacing the frilly cut top piece with an old 2x4 from a barn might help. Liberte might be written in old blood... that's a very French thing to do.

To replace the trunk latches, try some plain old rusty hasps and lock them with whittled wooden pegs stuck through the holes and hammered in place. I'd replace the shiny Grant chain with an old rope made of hemp or jute, also.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Great Job!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Yeah the chain gets replaced for sure!!! It still is a magic prop after all and believe it or not will be used to lighten the atmosphere after the show is coming to a conclusion...going to the French Revolution times is almost an afterthought to the show and a means to get that last volunteer to wish they stayed home. Smile
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Doug, it looks great, although I think the latches in front could use some updating...er...backdating.

Re: replacing the chain...as I recall, Owens (maybe it was someone else) used to have a large ratchet option for their guillotine. A big wheel that could be turned as the blade slowly rose with a clack, clack, clack sound would really build he tension (hint!).
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Yeah that's all cool...butt this will be replaced with a piece of hemp rope.

Not trying to make it 'pure' just easy to do passable.

We're looking at it though for a possible custom built version from the ground up out of wood (not heavy press board). In that case there would be pully's and crank wheels and other nasty things. I had my first one in the 60's and I've been thinking things over ever since! Just happy to get this one to play with.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
All I can add is "what? no dings int eh blade from hitting bones?!"
;}
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The is regularly replaced monthly by the executioner and of course sharpened daily for a clean painless slice. It's made in Germany...they always make good stuff. (or so the story goes.)
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
Looks good.

My favorite conversations w/ our owner-director always have this line:

"So, you're going to buy a nice, shiny new prop so I can paint it flat black, re-detail it, then make it look like shirt, right?"

I love "de-MAKing" props!

Chris
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Speaking of Germany, I understand the Nazis utilized guillotines for executions, but I've never seen a photo of one. Were they constructed of steel or wood?

In Doug's photos, his Mak guillotine looks to me to be old metallic.

Regardless, this is one stark, I-do-mean-business lookin' instrument. A job worthy of royalty.
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
I just can't believe how you managed to take the "MAK" out of the Guillotine!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Beleive me dennis, the MAK is still in it. It's heavy as hell.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging the Mak French Guillotine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL