The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Where to learn WAND spins/moves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Can anyone tell me of a place to learn various wand spins and utility moves incorporated with the spins? (i.e. vanishing a ball in left hand while spinning wand in right hand around it). Thanks in advance.
Smile
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Michael Ammar's book, "The Magic of Michael Ammar" would be a good place to learn them.

I would imagine his new Cups and Balls DVD would have all the wand spin steals in it as well.
Click to visit:
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Smile
Thanks much Dan. Anyone else?
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1143 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I would add that Ammars Cups and Balls Book describes the various wand flourishes with many illustrated photos including the Drummers Spin and the Vernon Wand Spin.

You can also find it (if you can find them) on Dave Williamson's Sleight of Dave videos.

Michael
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Books are tough to learn the wand spin from. Mike Ammar's cups and balls videos teach it very clearly and slowly. You'll have it down in 10 minutes and then with a good amount of practice you'll be proficient with it.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
myshadow
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of myshadow
Some months ago I was surfing the net and came across a site dedicated to spinning pens. I haven't got the details to hand but its worth searching for - all transferrable to wands
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Seems Ammar is on top of the game.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I think that the superhandz site has some information, or at least a cool video of someone doing some pen spinning...

http://www.superhandz.com/penspin.htm
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Which C&B video is better to learn wand spins, volume one or two? Or should I just get both? I could use a nice C&B routine anyways. Thanks.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Great question, BigT. The first place that I know of that details the wand spin is Lewis Ganson's book on Dia Vernon. It's part of Vernon's cups and balls chapter. Next place is Ammar's cups and balls book. But I have to agree, I never really had it down till I studied the cups and balls video. And I would strongly recommend getting the DVD. It lets you instantly replay the wand spin over and over. Ammar shows it numerous times, even in slow motion.
Lastly, let us not forget that Malini came up with this move. He used a fan, Vernon adapted it to a wand.
If you're only after the wand spin, you could skip the other volume (though both are great to have). I'm not sure which one it's on though. I will check and get back to you.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
I would suggest talking to a good drummer. I have played for years and I spin my sticks all the time. Once you get the hang of it, it would easily transfer to a wand. It looks fast and is not too hard to get the hang of. I don't know if I could explain in type, so grab a local drummer and "beat" it out of him. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Keith Smile
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
The Vernon Wand spin was not well, or in my opinion, correctly written up in the Dai Vernon Book of Magic by Ganson. COL Ganson, ordinarily very thorough, missed it on this one.

The best bet is probably the Ammar videos, but in the AV (thats ante video) era, the best write up was in one of Ammar's Magical Arts Journals. He actually had the line drawings of a person doing the wand spin drawn on the edges of the pages so you could flip the pages and see the move done dynamically like those little flip books that were available when I was a kid. This was really cool and the first and only instance I know of a magic move being taught this way, though I could be wrong. I could finally picture the concept correctly in my mind after looking at the flip book effect.
The striking vanish is Williamson's and is on his first tape if you can find it used or in "Williamson's Wonders." I believe it is also on Ammar's DVD's although I don't have them. It is also described and demo'ed on the Off The Cuff video in connection with ReCap.

That pen spin site is cool. Some people just have too much time on their hands...<S>.

Cordially,
tr
Smile
Fon
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Fon
Here you go,

All with online videos to teach you too,

http://www.pentix.modenstudios.com/

Fon
Always thinking..........?
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Thanks again everybody! Smile
Fon- That website had some neat stuff on it. Thanks for sharing!
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4879 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
David Harkey explains in his book SIMPLE HARKEY a really good glass spin, page 73-75. He demonstrated the glass spin in a lecture August 1994 in sweden.
You can use the spin on other objects to...
I use it. Pretty easy when yo know the work Smile
I think this spin is a "drum spin" from the beginning.
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
827 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Just wanted to say that I went to a few of the pen spinning sites, and oooo my goodness. That was some really cool stuff. I think it's time to break out the ol' magic wand and practice some of those spins, it'd be nice to add some wand flourishes to my Cups and Balls routine.

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
I just started College this year and I was doing the sonic casually in math class and so the kid beside me tried to spin his pen. And so i showed him again slower this time. And he tried and failed doing it again. Then I told him that it took me 3 months of Biology class to figure out how to do it. He gave up at that point.

I love it.
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
463 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Kjellstrom, BigT123-- Ammar does the Vernon Wand Spin the best!! Stick with Michael's Video for that. And the reference to a glass spin made me remember that Michael Ammar lectured about how he learned to do a Bottle Spin just by watching the movie "Cocktail". He said it was the only thing worthwhile about that film. Smile
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
The Dai Vernon wand spin is explained in the book "The Magic of Michael Ammar", and in the videos "Michael Ammar Live at the Magic Castle," Stevens Magic Emporium's Teach In series on Cups and Balls, and in one early Ammar video.

Dave Williamson has a different wand spin that he teaches in one of his videos (Sleight of Dave, if memory serves me right).

Mike Rogers also has a different, much simpler wand spin that is explained in the Steven"s Teach-in Series.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
My friend is a drummer. He said there is some video on the market that focuses entirely on spinning drumsticks.

I forgot the name but maybe someone else will know.

chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Where to learn WAND spins/moves? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL