The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Now on sale: Sullivan's Amazing Stars of Magic! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Guys:

I have a nice conversation today with the Ed Sullivan people. I told them about the market for magic videos and they were very much surprised at the jump in sales for the Magic DVD they just released. In a few days, they are expecting me to send them a list of magic acts from the Sullivan show that I think that the magic community would love to have on future DVD.

Certainly chief among the great footage would be:

Roy Benson's Billiard Ball Routine
Jay Marshall and Lefty
Gali Gali with the Cups and Balls
The Marvellos (I personally have this footage, trust me it's amazing!!!)
Richiardi with the DeKolta Chair and also his Sub Trunk routine with Sullivan assisting
Al Koran
Fred Kaps (with his old manip act with the Rabbit from Cane trick and the vanishing candelabra)
Etc., etc.

I will do my part to convince them to make another DVD. Please let your magic friends know about this wonderful bargain priced DVD, so that they will consider it worth while to make a series of these!

Best regards,
Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
http://www.MagicQandA.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7436 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would love to Al Delage or George Jonstone and Betty.

I remember the first convention my wife went to me was Columbus Magifest (when I still dealt there). We had our dealer rooms in our hotel rooms. It was really neat in a lot of ways.

But they had an Ed Sullivan reunion show that year. George Johnstone, Al Delage, Jay Marshall, John Shirley and Karrell Fox, all came into the room to say hi. My wife remarked "You know such neat old guys!" Yes, I did and I miss everyone of them.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I would really like to see more Fantasio.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
I believe would like to see
Billy Bishop
Channing Pollock
Fred Kaps
Del Ray
John Moehring
Ade Duval
Roy Bensen
and any other manip act!!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I know the Café just love lists, but to get the ball rolling maybe all should send their request to the company.

I was thinking of doing the same thing as Levent did and contact the company, but I just thought they would say, who are you, or sure we will look into it. It is good Levent did this and maybe we can rush the production of more acts sooner, rather then later.

I hope they put more acts on a DVD, as if you look at the track on the current DVD they could have gotten one more act on it and made it an even dozen.

Any way please place your order, not for me, but for MAGIC. I have no connection with this company, because if I did I would have the full collection of all the acts. This is a perfect learning tool for you, and your famil and friends will enjoy great magic entertainment. It like seeing a varity show at a magic convention without spending hundreds of dollars.

Support MAGIC!
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Guys:

Basically because of my writing of the Benson book and my contributions to the vaudeville encyclopedia, I was able to present myself to the Ed Sullivan people as a magic historian and as such, I was hoping that if I could help them "curate" another disc, we could collectively have the best of the enormous Ed Sullivan archive of great magic acts in our home video libraries.

Please keep posting me act suggestions on this forum in the next few days. I will do my best to get them to make an even better second DVD. That is if the sales warrant the creation of the another disc? Please send links from the Ed Sullivan site to your magic friends. The price is extremely reasonable for what you are getting!

Best regards,
Levent
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well, it would be nice to know the names of all the acts that appeared on the Sullivan show. As I was but a child at the time and never wrote down names of performers. I do know that there was a chinese dressed magician that did the multiplying candles, that really influenced me as seeing real magic at the time.

Signor Blitz list is a great start for the next DVD. Manipulation acts I also second, but you would may know more of the names then we do.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
How do these people have access to this supposedly copyrighted material? It would be great to find a catalogue of the shows and who appeared on them. I will try to call the UCLA film/tv archieve and see what they have.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
James, It is hard to say, they may have made an agreement with the Ed Sullivan estate. Also copywrite material is only good for 17 years, maybe the Sullivan people forgot to re-registar the material at some point. At any rate, they are making something I have hoping for for years and I am glad it finally is made available to the public.

I seen once on television that the Carson tapes are stored in a salt mine, the salt keeps the tape from going bad.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Levent,

Let me express my gratitude that you have used your leverage to pull some strings with the producers. We will all benefit from this.

I just found in a quick search, a thread in which Todd Robbins mentioned that Bobby Baxter had also appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
JamesInLa:

From what I understand, if you had appeared on the show or if your family member appeared on the show they sometimes can make a tape copy of the spot available to you. For instance my old friend, the late Peter Pit got a copy of his appearance on the show. I think a lot of the footage that is in collectors hands comes from the tapes from the magicians on the show and or their families.

In any case, if by purchasing these videos, we can convince them to release more footage, then we can all have a copy in our libraries. Also, the image and sound quality of these new DVDs are FAR BETTER than any footage I have seen in a collectors library!

Best regards,
Levent
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I remember Carson one night complaining about some low level NBC exec who on their own authority erased 10 years of Carson show tapes. That person I'm sure was fired immediately. Carson was in pain, you could see it. He said there were irreplaceable shows with old movie stars, etc.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
John Moehring must have not gotten his when he was a young man. As it never has surfaced to my knowledge and he has never shown it at any of the conventions where they had discussion with people on the Sullivan show.

I would really like to see his version of the Long Salt Pour and his version of the Multiplying bottles on the arm finale. He also mentioned he did a repeat appearing can through out the act. Sounds interesting. Will it hold up to his discription, have to see it 1st.

So come on!! All the members of the Café, list if you purchased this DVD yet, a few have but I want all 44,545 members to purchase this historical video so we can enjoy more at a fantastic low price.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have some vhs video of John Moehring. I'll admit they were bootlegs given to me by the late Charlie Buckner. I do not know if they were from Sullivan or not. The whole tape is various manipulation acts.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Only know that John Moehring performed at the Worlds Fair in New York, and this lead to the Sullivan show appearance. Don't think he had a very long career. As like Channing Pollack, he found the oil business more profitable then magic.

So it may be the Sullivan show you have, Michael Baker.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Bill,
When you say you don't think John Moehring had a very long career, do you mean as a full-time performer? I think he has always been an important figure in the magic community. He was the editor of M-U-M from 2006-2009.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7436 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
John had a much longer career has producer of theme park shows and other venues including the MGM. He also did a lot of multiple slide projector shows years ago. John is enjoying a well deserved retirement but still doing some projects.

As for his Salt Pour, Jody Baran does it every show at the Kannappli Beach Hotel in Maui. Jody is a protege of John's and still works with him.

I believe there was a Magic magazine article on the Ed Sullivan performers when John Moehring was editor.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Anatole, yes I am speaking as a full time performer career, presenting his act to the public.

Heck, I have been doing magic and have many projects for over 50 years. That does not impress anyone. Again, I will say, Magic is a performing art, it has to be seen and performed. If you are in the background, that is were it will stay.

Richard, Sorry but I have never heard of Jody Baron, or seen his/her act. Never been to Maui, and probably will not be able to do so in the future. That being said, I like to see the original person and how they presented their magic.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of Anatole
There is a video of Jody and Kathleen Baran at
http://www.kupanaha.com/Main/Show_and_Cast/The_Show.aspx#

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Wow, what a great discovery it was to find this topic.
Thanks for all you've done Levent, it's great to know they're taking you into account for releasing new material.
As you may already know I'm totally into Benson material, specially never-seen stuff like the Billiards Routine.

I'm also interested in Kaps, Pollock, Tomsoni. Great masters of magic that in the end, Levent, me and everyone here know. First DVD is a great advance, and instead of whining if the collection of magicians are my preference, I'm glad they even thought of starting releasing the material in the first place!
As Levent said, if this goes well, we can expect a second one with our favourites... Benson Billiard Routine would make my day (and month and year, surely Smile)

Antonio
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Now on sale: Sullivan's Amazing Stars of Magic! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL