The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Now on sale: Sullivan's Amazing Stars of Magic! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
JamesInLa:

From what I understand, if you had appeared on the show or if your family member appeared on the show they sometimes can make a tape copy of the spot available to you. For instance my old friend, the late Peter Pit got a copy of his appearance on the show. I think a lot of the footage that is in collectors hands comes from the tapes from the magicians on the show and or their families.

In any case, if by purchasing these videos, we can convince them to release more footage, then we can all have a copy in our libraries. Also, the image and sound quality of these new DVDs are FAR BETTER than any footage I have seen in a collectors library!

Best regards,
Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
http://www.MagicQandA.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I remember Carson one night complaining about some low level NBC exec who on their own authority erased 10 years of Carson show tapes. That person I'm sure was fired immediately. Carson was in pain, you could see it. He said there were irreplaceable shows with old movie stars, etc.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
John Moehring must have not gotten his when he was a young man. As it never has surfaced to my knowledge and he has never shown it at any of the conventions where they had discussion with people on the Sullivan show.

I would really like to see his version of the Long Salt Pour and his version of the Multiplying bottles on the arm finale. He also mentioned he did a repeat appearing can through out the act. Sounds interesting. Will it hold up to his discription, have to see it 1st.

So come on!! All the members of the Café, list if you purchased this DVD yet, a few have but I want all 44,545 members to purchase this historical video so we can enjoy more at a fantastic low price.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have some vhs video of John Moehring. I'll admit they were bootlegs given to me by the late Charlie Buckner. I do not know if they were from Sullivan or not. The whole tape is various manipulation acts.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Only know that John Moehring performed at the Worlds Fair in New York, and this lead to the Sullivan show appearance. Don't think he had a very long career. As like Channing Pollack, he found the oil business more profitable then magic.

So it may be the Sullivan show you have, Michael Baker.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Bill,
When you say you don't think John Moehring had a very long career, do you mean as a full-time performer? I think he has always been an important figure in the magic community. He was the editor of M-U-M from 2006-2009.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
John had a much longer career has producer of theme park shows and other venues including the MGM. He also did a lot of multiple slide projector shows years ago. John is enjoying a well deserved retirement but still doing some projects.

As for his Salt Pour, Jody Baran does it every show at the Kannappli Beach Hotel in Maui. Jody is a protege of John's and still works with him.

I believe there was a Magic magazine article on the Ed Sullivan performers when John Moehring was editor.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Anatole, yes I am speaking as a full time performer career, presenting his act to the public.

Heck, I have been doing magic and have many projects for over 50 years. That does not impress anyone. Again, I will say, Magic is a performing art, it has to be seen and performed. If you are in the background, that is were it will stay.

Richard, Sorry but I have never heard of Jody Baron, or seen his/her act. Never been to Maui, and probably will not be able to do so in the future. That being said, I like to see the original person and how they presented their magic.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
There is a video of Jody and Kathleen Baran at
http://www.kupanaha.com/Main/Show_and_Cast/The_Show.aspx#

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Wow, what a great discovery it was to find this topic.
Thanks for all you've done Levent, it's great to know they're taking you into account for releasing new material.
As you may already know I'm totally into Benson material, specially never-seen stuff like the Billiards Routine.

I'm also interested in Kaps, Pollock, Tomsoni. Great masters of magic that in the end, Levent, me and everyone here know. First DVD is a great advance, and instead of whining if the collection of magicians are my preference, I'm glad they even thought of starting releasing the material in the first place!
As Levent said, if this goes well, we can expect a second one with our favourites... Benson Billiard Routine would make my day (and month and year, surely Smile)

Antonio
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Did Benson do his billiard balls on the Sullivan show?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
God, I hope so. I too am anxious to see the billiard routine performed by the master. All we have of him is the short segment of him doing the Chinese Sticks and Salt Pour on youtube which I love. Would like to see more of him.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
No idea who it was, or what show it was, but I remember as a kid seeing someone on tv doing billiard balls. I was very intrigued seeing the balls seemingly pass through the body at waist level from hand to hand. This had to be in the 1960's.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Guys:

I just have a moment before I step out to attend a concert (Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald, & Boz Scaggs), so I will be brief.

Yes, Benson did the billiards on Sullivan and I will try very hard to get them to put it on a future DVD.

I must go...
Levent
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
GREAT NEWS!

Jim
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Idea:

Wouldn't it be great to have a Magic Café iPhone app?
I'm no developer in apps, but it would be nice.
Just popped in my head seeing Levent posting and taking the time to enter the Café. It would be much easier, right? hehe

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you Levent! Hope they release it soon!

Later,

Antonio
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
How many of you have ever seen Viggo Jahn performing ? I would buy Sullivan's DVD even if Viggo was the only act on it.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Did Cardini ever do sullivan? I found an HD youtube of his act from stars of magic in 1957. It's very clear, but it is so frustrating that he doesn't do the billiard balls. Great act of course.

Jim
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Bojanbarisic:

I saw Viggo Jahn work at the Tannen's Jubilee convention in upstate New York about 30 years ago. I remember in the act he had a piece of white paper with a picture of black gloves on it. He torn up the paper and changed them into a pair of real black gloves, which he then wore on his hands. Also I remember he had a black cane with a big white knob on it. He removed the knob and did a multiplying thimble routine with the white knobs, whilst wearing black gloves.

JamesInLA:

Cardini did not do the Sullivan show. It's a shame that there is no video of him doing the whole ball routine. If there was a film of it I wouldn't of had to spend months trying to re-create it! Here's something else to consider, there is also no film of Cardini doing his entire card fanning routine! Yikes!

Best regards,
Levent
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Levent,
You mean the Starts of Magic performance did not respresent Cardini's full card routine that he normally did?!

Re: above, that is a great way to motivate a thimble routine!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Now on sale: Sullivan's Amazing Stars of Magic! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL