The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Is magic on an upswing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I'd like to ask the opinion of those here who have been in the business for awhile (20 yrs+ as a serious professional magician or creator/merchant of effects.)

It seems to me like it is. I went into my local McDonalds the other day and noticed that there was a local pro who had put his signs up. There have been quite a few magic and magic-related acts like ventriloquists on the latest talent reality shows.

If we are on the upwsing of the cycle, it is interesting don't you think? Between the masked exposer and all the you tube/web site exposition, if exposing was a detrimental as the community generally thinks, shouldn't magic be on the *decrease* as an entertainment form?

What accounts for the up-swing, if it exists?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm thinking it may be more a matter of timing as to when and where one either notices magicians, or the absence of them.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2368 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
In my opinion this is a classic glass half empty or half full question.

Let’s put it this way, in my 30 years of being a magician, I have never pulled back on my plans to advance in my profession because I was fearful that magic might be on the decline. I just assume it is on an upswing. So, that becomes my reality, and I can point to my income over the years to prove it.

My answer: Yes, upswing!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Great question – in my 35 years as a magician, I have witnessed the cruel calculus of popular trends; the ebb and flow of magical detritus washing ashore the beaches of mass entertainment…hard to make a living!

It seems to me that magic is - and has been, for several years enjoying – and enjoyed - an upswing.

Consider this a completely personal observation.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Quote:
On 2010-08-02 17:40, Ken Northridge wrote:
In my opinion this is a classic glass half empty or half full question.

Let’s put it this way, in my 30 years of being a magician, I have never pulled back on my plans to advance in my profession because I was fearful that magic might be on the decline. I just assume it is on an upswing. So, that becomes my reality, and I can point to my income over the years to prove it.

My answer: Yes, upswing!

Spoken like a true salesman. Well said.

Regards,

Waters
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9648 Posts

Profile of funsway
Well, a number of fast-food chains are now giving away magic effects or instrucion books to kids. This can be positive if we build on their tender excitment.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Is magic on an upswing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL