The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Fox Lake Cards (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
Someday, I'll fire up this "infernal electrisch peckenclacker" and retell Roy Kissell's story of the 'home made' Sevengalis. Maybe, if someone coaxes, begs or pleads, I'll do it sooner than "someday".

Would love to hear that Dick........as would probably many others on this forum; who find such stories so much more enjoyable than reading about the latest brain-fart that's been released as a one-trick DVD.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
DavidK
View Profile
New user
Australia
91 Posts

Profile of DavidK
For anyone who is interested, I have and use for many years three of Haines' House of Cards tricks using Fox Lake Playing Cards. They are:

Svengali Cards (blue backs)
R.W. Hull's Mirage Deck (red backs)
The McCombical Prediction Decks (blue and red backs - 2 sets of cards used)

I also found "Six Card Repeat" which uses the Fox Lake Playing Cards. No maker of trick identified.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Hi David,

Still using my Fox Lake Brainwave Deck - purchased from Alan Alan around 1979.

Still clean - and NEVER been re-roughed in 35 years.

True Quality is absolutely timeless! Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
DavidK
View Profile
New user
Australia
91 Posts

Profile of DavidK
Barry,

I have been performing my six card repeat using the same Fox Lake cards for over 30 years. They are indeed quality cards and the trick has never failed me.
trickbooks
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of trickbooks
For those of you interested in Fox Lake cards, we've put together an interesting history on Propelled Pasteboards, the Throwing Card Blog, which you can find here:

https://throwingcards.blogspot.com/2017/......rds.html

The post includes a link back to this discussion, as many of you have included such interesting information that it seemed like a valuable addition to the history of Fox Lake magic cards.

Enjoy!
Gary Brown
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Excellent Gary - thanks for the link.

A very enjoyable read.

A little-known fact about the Aviator Bridge back design is that it's actually (albeit inadvertently?) a One Way back. I've only ever had a discussion with one other guy in 40 years, that was aware of it.
Barry Allen

GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I have 3 Fox Lake Decks from many years ago. Haunted pack, Mental Photography Deck, and Cheek-to-Cheek Deck. The Haunted pack I bought with the idea that I might use it in a seance type setting but never happened so I've not used it as of yet. The other 2 I've used pretty rarely so they're in good shape too!

Glenn
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2014, Merc Man wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
Someday, I'll fire up this "infernal electrisch peckenclacker" and retell Roy Kissell's story of the 'home made' Sevengalis. Maybe, if someone coaxes, begs or pleads, I'll do it sooner than "someday".

Would love to hear that Dick........as would probably many others on this forum; who find such stories so much more enjoyable than reading about the latest brain-fart that's been released as a one-trick DVD.

I don't know 'why', but I dropped in here this afternoon...I guess the Aviator, & Fox Lake, sucked me in.....

Yeah, scroll back a "few", and, I wrote a couple posts. When I reread those two years old notes, I was reminded of my late pal, Roy Kissell, gone now, almost 30 years, and, his family. They were carnies. When I first met Roy, almost 50 years ago, he mumbled: "with it?", and I knew he was a member of the "clan"! We immediately got into a "jackpot" session, which, "continued" for almost 30 years!

In my comments in that 2014 thread, I mentioned the Kissell family and "sEvengalis" (as the late Eddie Fields "usta" call 'em.) I hinted at their Svengali pitch, and, was going to return and tell a story or two about their "operation".

Well it's 2 seasons, down the road, so, I had better "give". I can't today, but, very soon, I'll come back on "this lot" and, tip the real work!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Yep, as an old guy all of my decks in my teen years were Fox Lake! They always raised suspicions, lol , as the group I showed them to were non bridge players -- we were a bunch of poker playing high school kids using bicycle decks !

Recently I got a pack of Fox Lake double backers as a gift with a magic order. A few months later I found some NOS blue and red ungaffed Fox Lakes online. I bought a red and a blue pack to go with the gaff cards. To my dismay the red and blue colors are not an exact match with the double backers.... oh well.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2018, docguitarman wrote:
Yep, as an old guy all of my decks in my teen years were Fox Lake! They always raised suspicions, lol , as the group I showed them to were non bridge players -- we were a bunch of poker playing high school kids using bicycle decks !

Recently I got a pack of Fox Lake double backers as a gift with a magic order. A few months later I found some NOS blue and red ungaffed Fox Lakes online. I bought a red and a blue pack to go with the gaff cards. To my dismay the red and blue colors are not an exact match with the double backers.... oh well.

Ken Brooke used to market a packet trick called 'Wild Man Wild' by Hans Trixer.

Speaking in his studio one day, he said a few had been returned because the Double Backers did not match shade-wise the red-backed regular Jokers supplied with the trick.

Ken's words to us were along the lines of he'd performed the trick many, many times for the paying public (along with Bruce Cervon's Dirty Deal, it was his favourite) over the past 5 years. He said quite honestly, NOT ONCE had he been called on this by a spectator; and that sometimes magicians worry about problems that don't really exist.

To this end, just crack on and give them a go. Nobody is going to shoot you for it! If the effect, and your presentation are strong enough (and you don't let it worry YOU - so you don't telegraph a problem), you may just be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

Smile
Barry Allen

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thanks Merc Man!

I just took them out of their boxes again and on second look, though I can easily see the different shades, esp. in a spread (the DBs are darker), I now think they might be close enough !
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
As an update playing card decks now has "Caravan" decks that are Fox Lake backs.
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
Reading through this brought back memories! Fox Lake playing for those of us who have been around a while were THE card the shops carried. Now we're lucky enough to find anyone under a certain age that even knows what the game of Bridge is!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Just recently pulled out of a drawer, Nick Trost’s Fly Circus. Seeing those bridge sized red back Aviator back design sure brought many well spent hours at the magic shop memories.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2018, docguitarman wrote:
As an update playing card decks now has "Caravan" decks that are Fox Lake backs.

Unless they sell a Bridge Size Pack, I think the Caravan brand are using the Aviator Poker Size back design - quite different from the Fox Lake/Aviator Bridge back design?
Barry Allen

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, Merc Man wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2018, docguitarman wrote:

Unless they sell a Bridge Size Pack, I think the Caravan brand are using the Aviator Poker Size back design - quite different from the Fox Lake/Aviator Bridge back design?

I ordered two sets. Bridge size and same backs as Fox Lake. Here is the photo.
https://playingcarddecks.com/products/ca......ng-cards
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Looks like I am too late to get these Caravan decks, on the notification list if they get them back in stock. Life moves on, but does that mean getting rid of a great product? Guess I will have to get the full use of all the deck’s I have left. Oh well.......
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2019, Peter McMillan wrote:
Looks like I am too late to get these Caravan decks, on the notification list if they get them back in stock. Life moves on, but does that mean getting rid of a great product? Guess I will have to get the full use of all the deck’s I have left. Oh well.......

I'm one of the culprits who contributed to the sell out. I saw the inventory was getting low and bought another 3 sets in January. They went pretty fast. I do hope Will restocks them as I want to make up some more trick decks of my own.

Phil D.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Perhaps with both of us purchasing them he will order up a couple of extra bricks to go around. My love of these go back to 1970 when I got in really working card routines. Aviator just seemed right in the fit and feel. Thank you for the site to possibly get restocked Phil.

Pete
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
PhilJake
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of PhilJake
The USPCC Caravan decks are available on Amazon, 2 bridge size deck sets, 1 blue, 1 Red for 7.95
Still a handful left.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Fox Lake Cards (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL