The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Magic Performances at theFCM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
I was able to attend my 2nd FCM convention this past July and while I was unable to stay for the whole convention overall I enjoyed it immensely. I believe the organizers did a fine job in seeking out enough dealers to appeal to all the types of people who attended. I appreciated the vast array of workshops available. And the time and energy that many put into it is incredible - they truly give of their time and talents.

However, I do have a concern over the Magical Performances in the evening shows I was able to witness. We invite people from the community to come to these events and while I would not classify the performances as bad, I thought many lacked the high quality that should be present at a national convention.

And don't get me wrong. I do not mean that every single performer needs to be on par with the greatest in magic (in fact I hope we continue to showcase those who man the trenches), but I believe each evening show (or at least the majority) should have a performance that is the equal of anything you would see at SAM, at the IBM, at FISM, etc. This is a National Convention and I understand we are there to worship Christ, but at the same time, we should present the same high quality of magic that is present in the secular world.

And don't get me wrong. I truly understand how hard it is to run a convention. I help organize a convention every year for our Local Ring and Assembly where we try to bring in the best magicians in the world (it is a secular convention). This year we have Johnny Thompson and Pam, Fielding West, and Kevin James with his full illusion show headlining our convention. So I truly understand some of the difficulties in pulling off these type of conventions and I don't know of any convention that tries to do as much as the FCM does. But I still think there is room for improvement.

Just my thoughts.

M Reist
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I don't know if this helps a little bit or not, but for some of the paid professionals in Gospel magic/puppeteering, July is a very busy month for them. I know of several excellent performers who attend the national FCM convention only rarely because they are fully booked in July doing summer VBS programs. There are many excellent Christian magicians worldwide who just only every once in awhile are able to attend FCM, such as (just to mention a few): Andre' Kole, Toby Travis, Sheldon Rhodes, Sam Sandler, etc.. So my guess is the FCM brass would love to get them more, but they are not available.

I am so glad that Duane Laflin, MagicBob and SuZie, PJ Weber, David Ginn, David Mitchell, Barry Mitchell, etc. do regularly appear at FCM- I enjoy all their performances on the "big" stage which they are comfortable appearing on. Many loyal FCMers such as myself are not experienced "stage" magicians- so we really cannot (and don't) even attempt to be on the evening program. But we are always happy to participate and contribute in smaller lectures or group settings for sure.

I was at Abbott's Get To-Gether just last week, would be hard for FCM to compete with them: their acts this year included the national card manipulation champion of magic from China, John Carney, Mike Caveney, David Williamson, Cannon escapes, Keith Fields, Bob Higa and many more seasoned pros. Of course, their weekly registration fee is also much higher than FCM's, and the evening shows are all ticketed and fairly expensive to the lay public. As a total aside, I was very happy to interview Wilma Rench, the longtime Abbott's live organist, which is posted at http://www.magicnewswire.com

I really enjoyed the FCM convention this year- I thought the two evening shows I was able to make (Wednesday and Friday) were in fact very good. I'm sure Del and company will continue to strive for the best programs they can muster together.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Forgot to mention Oz and Wilde too- always great stuff as well...
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
Thanks for the comments.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Magic Performances at theFCM (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL