The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Fielding West dove production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Orange Eric
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Orange Eric
Hello,
Does anyone know where I can purchase the Fielding West Dove Holder?
It's the one that is pulled from out of your sleeve, and then produce it out of a hank or something. I was going to buy one at his lecture at the IBM convention in San Diego, but already spent all my money in the dealer room. lol
Thanks for any help.

Eric Giliam
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
From the home page of http://www.fieldingwest.com - click on "Merchandise" to enter his shop, which includes the "Dove Production Apparatus" as the first product. Google is your friend. Smile

Have fun!
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
While this is a good effect, I've always considered the price of $100 to be a bit exorbitant and way out of line.
Where the magic begins
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Hey, it is what it is. People will pay a hefty price to save some time and trouble, and if that's what he can get for it, good for him.
I emailed him probably a little over a year ago to ask how his version differed from the one Johnny put in print (I don't recall him saying the difference on his DVDs, other than the placement of the....thing), and he told me to call him. Maybe he uses a different material, I don't know. Smile I never got the chance to call, and I'm sure he wouldn't remember now. I think it's a top-notch effect, nonetheless.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
For those of you who live close enough, you could ask Fielding in person as he is one of the featured performers, along with Johnny Thompson and Pam and Kevin James, in his illusion show at the Kutztown (PA) Magic Convention on Saturday, Nov. 13th.

You can always PM me if you want any details, but I am sure Fielding would be more than happy to answer questions. He will also be doing one of the lectures at the convention.

Mike
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I'm not knocking the effect or Fielding, and you are absolutely correct. If he can get $100 for the effect, more power to him. I just think at the end of the day, $100 for a dove harness is too much.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dave, I agree with you as to price. When his ad only says it is the Johnny Thompson Dove Bag, without saying or suggesting any improvement, then I stopped dead in my tracks at reaching for my wallet.

Norm Neilsen sells the Johnny Thompson bag for $35.00. If it is the one in his old lecture notes, then that is still a huge increase.

I seen his act years ago on a special of some kind, and maybe he has changed it, but he did a latex dove production and later pulled the real dove from his pocket; not really a production. So maybe he has created something different in more recent years.

I can only see paying this amount of money for one trick, is if the purchaser is not looking to use a dove act, per say, and needs the "full" information for this one production. That, of course, would mean a very full and complete handling of the bird and prop, so the person does not have to look elsewhere for any information to immediately perform this effect.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The last time I saw Fielding perform was just a few years ago. A silk is laid out flat on the hand and whisked away. Sitting on his hand is the dove. Good effect, nice surprise, but not anything that would warrant that price.

In the end, it's up to the buyer to determine if the price fits the budget and is worth the money.
Where the magic begins
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

The production is the first effect in his bird act, and the latex dove vanish/reproduction sequence comes later.

I asked Lupe awhile ago, and she said the "EZ Way Out Dove" that Norm sells isn't the same thing - it's just a type of dove holder. And I don't know if the production was included in lecture notes, but it was published in the 'Polished Polish Prestidigitation' book. (I feel like I make a reference to that book once or twice a year, and I don't even own it! Smile )
Michael J.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I own the Johnny Thompson book, but it is packed away. I will have to dig it out. I think I remember the dove production explained in the book, his transparent dove production. He used a sheet of plastic wrap.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The transparent production does use a sheet of plastic, but it is not the "Wings of Warsaw" production we started talking about.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As far as I know, Johnny Thompson only uses one type of dove bag in his act. It is the one that Norm Neilsen sells. Maybe Lupe meant that it is not the same because Norm Neilsen does not provide any detailed instruction on the production. Basically, you are only purchasing the bag Johnny Thompson uses.

As far as this production method, I have not seen West perform this, so cannot comment if this is the same, but I was originally comparing the price between the two. $65.00 for the method only is a bit high when you are buying the holder and need the information to do anything with the container.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hmmmmm......I was not aware of the Johnny Thompson Dove Harness. I will have to look into them. Do they have any major differences from General Grant's?
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, Johnny Thompson dove holders are the complete covering of the bird. They only use what is called the direct steal. They have snap closures and ears, meaning you use both hands to open the holder to release the bird.

I used to use this holder and the Neil Foster Dove Holder regularly.

General Grant holder is more like the more modern holders and can be used with other types of steal methods. His, of course, is the one-hand opening method.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks, Bill! That helps a lot!
Mister Mystery
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I'm using Fielding's harness, and I LOVE it...so smooth and clean, and built to last! This is now my favorite dove production.

And Bill, if you purchase the effect, a DVD is included that DOES explain the handling of the bird and the prop, as well as proper placement and production methods. The price may seem high, but then again, look at the price of other things on the market as well...perhaps it was priced in such a manner to keep the amateurs and screw ups from using and ruining the effect...
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Fielding called me a couple days ago and he and I discussed his harness during part of our conversation. He told me to announce on here that if anybody wanted his harness in the USA, to send him and email and he'll sell it to you for $65.00

He sells most of them to overseas magicians and the price for them is $100.00
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Frank528
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Frank528
I know this thread is very old, but can you still get the Fielding West “Wings of Warsaw” dove production effect? Thank you
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Fielding West dove production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL