The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Michael Barron's New Website! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Norrabmagic
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Norrabmagic
Hey guys just launched the new website, let me know what you think!
http://www.BarronMagic.com
EliTheIllusionist
View Profile
Regular user
York, PA
191 Posts

Profile of EliTheIllusionist
I <3 it.

Keep up the good work.

-E
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Flash? Why?

This is what I see:

EliTheIllusionist
View Profile
Regular user
York, PA
191 Posts

Profile of EliTheIllusionist
Scott -

Perhaps you should forward that to Apple. :-D

-E
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

I consider it a feature:

Anything that doesn't show flash is a blessing in my book. *grin* I personally hate Flash (even on desktops)
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
To be honest, I'm jealouss...
Looks great...
Norrabmagic
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Norrabmagic
Thanks for the comments guys I thought about the flash thing, but now to use the internet pretty much at all you need flash. To watch a video on YouTube or to visit any major corporate website. Some argue that the older demographic may not have it installed, but even the AARP website uses flash hehe. The only problem seems to be mobile phone viewing so I may offer an html/mobile website if there is a big demand for it, but my webmaster expects most new phones to support it.
Norrabmagic
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Norrabmagic
And ipads hehe
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Great looking site. Reminds me of Dan Sperry's web work.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-11 10:55, Norrabmagic wrote:
but now to use the internet pretty much at all you need flash. To watch a video on YouTube or to visit any major corporate website.

Not true. I watch youtube on my iPad frequently. Youtube switched to H.264 video years ago so it is HTML compliant and only plays flash for older browsers. Switch to their HTML5 version and you'll never need flash to watch YouTube. Html5 is much more efficient than Flash for that sort of thing.

Quote:
The only problem seems to be mobile phone viewing so I may offer an html/mobile website if there is a big demand for it, but my webmaster expects most new phones to support it.

Sounds like a statement made by a Flash developer. They see the future of HTML5 and what it can already do. Flash has been coming to mobile devices "any day now" for years. I wouldn't hold your breath.

I will say your site LOOKS nice. I'd agree with Christopher, it has a lot of Dan in it. Has a nice feel to it.

I'm sure your Flash guy spent a lot of time on it. But you're losing out on Google SEO love, not to mention the mobile and iPad market.

You've made your bed, though. By the way, this is in no way directed at YOU personally. You sound like a sincere guy. It's just the more you learn about Flash, its downsides, and the current tide of browsing trends, you'd think twice about using Flash for anything.

Good luck!
JoeC
View Profile
New user
Asia
59 Posts

Profile of JoeC
Nice site. Excellent work... Smile
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
The site looks great. I'm guessing that much of your business is via referral and that you don't depend much on SEO to get new gigs. As such, the flash issue may not hurt you much. Again....impressive.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
756 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Scott is right...
on top of that..

Statistics show a trending AWAY from desktops and toward mobile devices..

Youtube now sees 46% of all videos being watched from MOBILE..

Apple WILL NOT add FLASH to Iphones or the IPAD

the Droid.. well ehh maybe..
but the droid tablet to compete with the IPad.. NO FLASH..

MOST sites that are being run by big companies use script to detect the browser and will serve HTML5 to non flash devices..

OHH and Search engines HATE Flash..

"webmaster expects"
then he doesn't read the news... the LARGEST Smart Phone on the Market says "NO" (IPhone)

so only the tech savy who jailbreak and install flash will have it..

It's a nice looking site.. I like the look..
I could have done the exact same thing with Wordpress and probably saved you some money..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Michael Barron's New Website! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL