We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hard Choice. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Double O Magic
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 23:51, Sammy J. wrote:
There is no such thing as Eisenhower halves, must be dollars.

I wouldn't waste your time on Extreme Burn 2.0. The original is all you need to make incredible magic.

You will always pay more at Brick and Mortar shops. I sure wish we still had some in Denver. I would gladly pay more if they were like the shops from the 80's.

Sammy

Sorry they were Eisenhower Dollars.

And the one I'm considering visiting is Ash's magic shop which is in Chicago of course. What was the name of the shop you speak of?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Pardon me, but isn't Magic Inc., still in Chicago? I believe Mr. Laurie Ireland was there, and I think, not sure, it was owned by Mr. Larson, of Magic Castle fame. I may be WAY off-base here, so please correct me.

Doug
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

I was able to find it. Wow lessons are held there too! Has anyone gone to these lessons before?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2787 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2010-08-05 19:57, Vick wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-05 18:52, gardini wrote:
Save your money and buy the tarbell orginal course on pdf from lybray.com, it will give you years worth of magic in all formats for well under the 50 dollars.

Scott

I agree EXCEPT

Buy it from a Brick & Mortar magic dealer,
if you have to volume by Volume
You can get vols 1 & 2 and that will be more magic then you will do for a few years!

if we don't support Brick & Mortar shops then soon all we will have is on line shops which means
No regular lectures,
No great stories of years gone by,
No place to hang out to learn or share,
No one who can actually show you how the effect looks like ~ any on line place can show you how it looks after 20 takes trying to get the perfect one,
No one who actually gets to know you and can suggest good books that fit your style and will help you develop,
The list of advantages of real shops, Brick & Mortar places can go on forever

and if all you buy on is price, you will never be a great artist

Its worth noting that the pdf version is not the same as the hardbound books, regardless of where you buy them from.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Wow, an hour away would be great! The nearest B&M store to me is about 650 miles away! And worth every hour spent travelling there!
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Great news. First time really going into a real B and M Magic Shop. It was Pj's Trick Shop. Just going there made me feel giddy with joy Smile. Definitely want to visit again! The people there are phenomenally entertaining and I definitely reccommend going there if you somehow come across the store!
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Cool. A good B&M is priceless as a place to meet and mix with those more experienced.

Depending on your level of experience, which I don't think you'e told us, I'd definitely think in terms of books. When I did street magic a good 1/3 of my show all came from things I learned from one $15.00 book. Its ahrd to beat those economics.

Id really shy away from "one trick" DVDs or manuscripts unless its something you really think will add a lot to your act, or you're just intensely curious about that oen effect. In general, its a bad deal.

And its amazing how much play you cna get out of old, classic, and inexpensive props. Again when I did street magic I got 10 minites and a lot of chuckles out oif a "siberian chain escape", it was a few dollars then, cant be much more now. A great many magicians still swear by the Invisible Deck for "wow" factor and you can get a nice one of those for $5.00 to $7.00. I hear the David Blaine marked and stripper decks are both very inexpensive and well made and there is a lot you can do with either.

Another value of a *good* B&M is the people there will steer you towards these inexpensive gems.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
jem368
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jem368
Sick if you have the time to devote to practicing the more advanced tricks.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
You can get the entire Tarbell course from the learned pig project (google it). Since it is out of copy write I don't think I am treading on anyone's toes here.

Also I would recommend Thom Peterson's Amazing Guy or Sucker Punch DVD's......though neither is big on coin magic. However the DVD's contain a mixture of excellent tricks at varying difficulty levels. They are definitely not one trick DVD's and a lot of them are within the realms of the less experienced (ie me).

BUT as I say, if coins are your thing, then maybe not at this time.

D
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Considering this is a pretty old topic, I have the Tarbell COurse already and I am loving it. Thanks for the additional tips guys! BUt I think this thread is a little old, guys.

Thanks,

Double O
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
You bought the hardcover volumes or? Great books arent they? Smile
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Yeah I am in love. So much awesome content, people could build their whole careers off of these books!
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
You made a great decision in my humble opinion. Whenever you need any help, just sent me a PM Smile
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

I will if I ever need to Smile. I used to live in the Netherlands when I was very young, I cannot remember it well except for some bits and pieces, great place!

Regards,

Double O
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
You speak dutch? YOu could also add me on messenger if you want (pm me for details).
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Eh, I knew a few small greetings but it is all gone now :/. I lived there for about a year because of my dad's work.

And I am not even sure I remotely remember my password to my messenger LOL. But I will look into it.

Best of regards,

Double O
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
If you (or somebody else) has skype or messenger, just PM me. I love to work trough Tarbell:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hard Choice. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL