The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The Loomis Memorized Deck Page (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I have read a few tangential references to Dennis Loomis' "The Loomis Memorized Deck Page" ( http://www.loomismagic.com/memdeck.php ) but I have not seen any dedicated thread extolling the virtues and benefits of this valuable resource material. This thread is a feeble attempt to correct such oversight and to point the uninitiated to this site.

Because I don't trust the vagaries or permanence of Internet sites, a short while ago, I took the trouble to print out all 22 articles that Dennis composed and placed on his "The Loomis Memorized Deck Page". I then put the finished product in its own dedicated binder and just recently started carefully and methodically reading through these issues.

WOW!! What pure gold is contained within those pages. The articles are very clearly written and easily understood. Many great ideas. I can see 4 or 5 ideas that I am immediately going to implement and use...and I'm only up through the 8th article! I can't wait to finish my journey through all 22 articles.

As I read these articles, I am constantly believing that the last read article is the best of the bunch...they are all that good. In this vein, I really like the ideas expressed in Article 7 ("A New Version of Harry Anderson's Yard Sale Deck") and Article 8 ("A New Version of 'The Subtle Game' and How to Utilize a Mem Deck in walk-Around").

The "Yard Deck Sale Deck" will instantly go into my repertoire and the ideas expressed in "The Subtle Game" (set-up a memorized deck in full view of the audience as part of an entertaining effect) is one of those "WOW! I could have had a V-8" moments you have as you kick yourself and wonder why you didn't think of this idea yourself.

If you are not familiar with this resource, I urge you to head on over there and peruse a few of the articles. You'll become a instant convert.

KUDOS, Dennis.

Mike

P.S. AFTERTHOUGHT: Regarding the "Yard Sale Deck" (Article 7), and as part of my contemplated presentation, I am thinking of using a 1" or 1 1/4" Arvey Removable Sticker and, using a TT, first placing a crossed-out $1.00 or $1.25 price on the sticker. I'm thinking that in that way, an unusual (desperate?) final "last day" sale price (such as $00.53 or $00.78) might make more sense and might be more readily accepted by the audience. Not a criticism. Just a thought.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Mike,

THANK YOU my friend for this VERY important resource!! Dennis has definitely been an invaluable source of scholarship on memdeck work.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Yes, indeed: I highly recommend Dennis' memdeck pages too. The Yard Sale Deck version is also one of my favourites.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
BTW, the prices examples I listed of $00.53 and $00.78 were just listed to give extreme examples of "odd" pricing configurations. In reality, if performing Dennis Loomis' variation of the Yard Sale Deck, your "close-out" pricing would obviously be $00.52 or lower.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks so much, guys.

Alas, I have not had time to add much to the site recently. My professional engagements, the Loomis Magic business, and my columns in MUM magazine take up most of my time.

I do have some more articles roughed out and hopefully I'll be able to get some new stuff up there soon.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The Loomis Memorized Deck Page (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL