The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » A graduate course in Nim (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Nim is often taught with just the winning moves, and there's no effort to teach WHY those are the winning moves.

Over the past week, I've posted 3 blog entries on how to analyze the various forms of Nim:
The Secrets of Nim (Part 1)
The Secrets of Nim (Part 2)
The Secrets of Nim (Part 3)

Between the three of them, they cover both single-pile and multi-pile nim, and standard and misere versions of both. There's plenty of videos, exercises, and links to help you understand, so you can learn to get the best advantage in any Nim game that you can.

I'd love to hear any comments and suggestions you have.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Very nice,thanks for sharing this.
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Your site is awesome... and every post I have read rom you has been informative. Thank you for the cool stuff.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Scott, that's the best source of information on Nim I've ever seen.

Previously, I've only seen a page or two in my old Nick Trost books, and a few other equally slim reports in a few other volumes.......but nothing nearly as complete as what you've shared.
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Quote:
On 2010-08-06 00:37, The Dowser wrote:
Your site is awesome... and every post I have read rom you has been informative. Thank you for the cool stuff.

I proo read everything I write. How does a " " disappear long a ter I have posted. Is someone ucking with me?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Thanks for all the kind words!

I just posted the last part of the series:
The Secrets of Nim (Wrap-up)
Xaethia
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of Xaethia
Cool thanks for that.
"Technique beats skill. Psychology beats technique. Philosophy beats all. Think about it." CrdShk
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Scott, you are a way cool feller....that is a hip way of saying dude.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Again, thanks for all the compliments!

Since I've received so many positive responses, I've taken an extra step, and created a new tool for Nim fans.

Check out my new FREE online Nim Strategy Calculator! The instructions for usage are here, but I've tried to make the data entry and responses done in plain, simple language, so that it's easy to understand and use right away.

You can have lots of fun changing around the rules of various versions of Nim, and seeing the effects on your strategy. You can even use it to cheat with the "Next Move?" calculator (only for multi-pile Nim).
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Scott, in one fell swoop you've created the finest Nim resource in the world!
Back No 67
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Back No 67
Thankyou very much
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Silverking, and Back No 67, thank you for the compliments!

Today, I added yet another post in the series: Fibonacci Nim
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
This is great man!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Thanks!

Werner Miller recently e-mailed me with a great twist on Nim that he developed over 30 years ago!

If you have a person who knows the strategy for single-pile Nim, you can still beat him. How? You ask your opponent to decide who goes first, and change the number of objects that can be taken on each move based on that decision.

I explain this in more detail in my Wise-Guy Nim post. To make it easier to devise your own versions of this approach, I've added a Wise-Guy Nim tab to the Nim Strategy Calculator.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Update: I've moved the Nim Strategy Calculator to a new URL: http://gmmentalgym.blogspot.com/2010/11/......tor.html
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Ever since I saw the movie "Last Year at Mariebad", I have been looking for the answer.
Thanks Scott,I just hope the general public does not finds out or it becomes pointless.

Jerry
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
You're welcome, Jerry! (For those wondering, here are the Nim scenes from Last Year at Marienbad - although I think one is missing.)

BTW, you mentioned in another thread you were having some problems with links on my blog. Please let me know what they are!

Oh, and for the Nim lovers, check out my newest post in the series: Chocolate Nim
Maitre D
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of Maitre D
This is amazing. Thank you very much for putting all this together.
kal
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of kal
Fantastic resource, thanks for all the effort in collection, analysing and posting this. Well done!
:)
I'm always honest about when I'm lying. And I'm always lying...
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I'm glad to see this is being so well received! It's nice to know that people are finding it useful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » A graduate course in Nim (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL